/lang/ - Language Learning General

Sillamacka edition

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Proto-Danish
>What language should I learn?
Ancient G̵r̵e̵e̵k̵ Swedish

Old thread Old challenge

Attached: depositphotos_41495309-stock-photo-pickled-herring-on-crisp-bread.jpg (1023x682, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1EOpWpT9YP8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I like pickled herring

BASED

Attached: 1200px-Midsummer_pickled_herring.jpg (1200x885, 163K)

тpeтий длa yкpaинa

thinking of learning turkish, thoughts?

Surprised you don't know it already bud.

idk

We have it like this, theres onion in the middle, very nice. Swedish herring (at least the stuff I've had from ikea) was very sweet in comparison to ours, still nice though

Attached: Rollmops-new-website_600x600.jpg (600x450, 59K)

>get excited about learning a new language
>gain momentum, enjoying learning
>start feeling foolish because I've got no good reason to be using the language
>not even struggling to learn it, just feel like an idiot for trying
>lose enthusiasm

Attached: image.png (650x773, 47K)

>actually have a reason to learn languages
>suicidal and have no hopes for the future
>lose enthusiasm

Attached: 1557070262686.png (482x427, 79K)

I do 3 duolingo lessons a day
How many should be practice and how many should be new?

volo mandere piscem

You should be moving at your own pace, proceeding as you feel comfortable. If you can't adequately recite the things you're shown you should continue to practice.

You should also not be using only Duo. I find Duo very inadequate by itself. At least use Memrise as a companion.

I couple it with shitposting in my lang of choice and just different drills for grammar

Intradasting. And fvark, you made me hungry. Craving some fish now 2bh.

Attached: gravadlax_cs.jpg (750x500, 90K)

that looks great swedefren

That's Turkey and to a lesser degree the Netherlands. The brit knows an Indian language or Polish.

>That's Turkey
Meant Germany. Am retarded.

Any reason is a good reason user. Keeps the mind active, and you open up a culture to yourself. And besides, motivation is nice, but in the long run you need discipline.

As previous, fuck motivation, acquire discipline.

How do i become fluent in English lads?

Get an American boyfriend.

But i am male(male).

What language, might I ask?

Иди в CШA.

kek

I hope you study today
Espero que estudies hoy

Read fun books

page seven

bumperino el threaderino

Give me a quick blurb of your day today

I'm an experienced language learner with a very high level of Latin, Greek, and Chinese. Are there any resources for Russian that aren't too hand holding? Very heavy on content and very light on grammar and explanations is ideal for my style.

What do you like reading, watching, doing in your native language?
Do it all in English instead.

Shalom /lang/
Where are the Israelis?

>page 8

What the hell is that food in OP's picture
Fish on a waffle???

It's a rich man's sardines n' crackers
Good snack

What resources are you using for Hebrew? Are you learning ancient or Modern Hebrew?

Pickled herring on crispbread, nibba.

Attached: Knaeckebroed.jpg (640x512, 76K)

How many words a day should I be able to learn with an indo-european language? I'm doing 30 with Japanese at the moment.

Modern, I'm studying via the material that is used in Ulpans in Israel, plus I got a grammar book and a dictionary. I also try to read newspapers/listen to music in Hebrew as well as shitpost with the rare Israeli that shows up here

Finnish. I've always wanted to learn it, and although it's difficult I enjoy the challenge. And I'm such a grammar nerd that I delight in figuring out the logic of the language and am not really bothered by its rules, even if I get stuck. Plus there are some Finnish comics I want to read, so I guess there is a reason. I guess I just feel kind of silly learning a language spoken by people I live nowhere near and who seem to speak English as well as I do. It's still worth it to me, I just wish I could be more confident

>It's still worth it to me
Based sentiment. Everyone should learn what they want 2bh, and not listen to people who base their learning on a made-up "usefulness".

>page 8

keep at it, user-chan. As previous anons have stated, motivation is fleeting, what you need is discipline.
May I suggest reading www.antimoon.com/ ?

hemen yap, ibne

Δεν έγινε πολύ, αλλά σήμερα πήγα στην δουλειά μου με το τρένο, δούλεψα kαι τώρα πηγαίνω σπίτι. Ήταν αρkετά βασιkή μέρα

>the material that is used in Ulpans in Israel,

Where do you get that?

My company is asking for me to relocate to our office in Zurich in a year. Benefits and pay are much better compared to COL and they provide good relocation package so I'm thinking about accepting it.

Although our office will mostly be English speaking they recommended me to learn German to be more comfortable in daily life. My question is: Should I learn Swiss-German or what they call High/Standard German. There seems to be much more resources for the latter but I heard that the Swiss German differs enough that I won't be able to understand them if I learn actual German.

>trying to learn a new language (swedish)
>realize the youth is throwing it away for English

Attached: download (4).jpg (279x181, 8K)

today is 30th day streak of duolingo and 7th day streak of memrise :)

Swiss German isn't standardized, they kinda write it as they see fit. Seems pretty impossible to learn without being there.
You should learn regular German and maybe listen to / watch some Swiss content alongside. It's basically that with a loot of dialectal transformation and some funky grammar here and there. You probably won't be understanding it very well when you get there but you'll be okay if you got the basics down. Plus most of them can speak regular German even though they dislike it.

The youth is retarded, user. And if you do learn Swedish, then I'll help you out like I have with all the other learners in here.

Attached: happy.png (112x112, 15K)

>get excited about learning a new language
>gain momentum, enjoying learning
>talk about it to friends
>"haha that's a useless language you should try german or chinese!"
>"that language? why? you're and idiot lol"

Fuck all of you motherfuckers I'm learning this one and you can't fucking stop me from doing it

Vittu saatana, it's habbening :DDDDD

Finnish is coming to Duolingo :-DDDDDDD

Attached: Uten navn.jpg (287x425, 18K)

Holy fucking SHIT
I'm already busy with your flag's cunt though :^DDD

Älä luovuta.

Attached: 264282d5.png (397x398, 25K)

>tfw only want to learn languages to read books

Someone post some sentences to translate.

Attached: 1539630965865.jpg (574x881, 54K)

That's a very good reason though.

Can I audit a class at a university as someone isnt a student?

I want to learn a language and think classes would help me a lot.

bump

>realize that time is short and have to be very carefully when choosing a language because you're gonna spend some time in it
>can't decide among/between particular languages
>wind up not studying any of them
>repeat the process

Attached: sfsfsfsdfs.png (457x513, 137K)

The "good reason" to learn the language is because you enjoy it. I enjoy learning and playing the guitar because I want to, not because I want to be a rockstar.

Well, as long as it is at least 40 word always in some context (phrases, images and shit) the number is not so important.

If I was to say "I want to try to speak" in russian, would the verbs after want get their endings from Я like "Я хoчy пoдвepгaю гoвopю?"

Not easy, you either get it if you/someone you know can buy it for you while visiting Israel;
Or you can order it for a steep price off of Bezos' moneymaker

If you can't pick a language you need life directions. Why do you want to learn a language? do you like Literature? Traveling? Movies? Fucking foreigners? Do you plan on using it for work?

I don't know exactly myself, but I can tell you that you're completely wrong.

>those pics of aquatic snacks
please this is a blue board and I'm on no fap

do other languages use & and @?

>Finnish.
Well there is your first mistake.
>I wanted to learn to play basketball but got frustrated cause I couldn't beat Lebron James
Finnish is the Lebron James of the languages

Я хoчy пoпытaтьcя гoвopить
something like that

do other languages use and ?

I'm enthusiastic to be learning Portuguese but at the same time, I wonder when I'll actually use it. Brazil scares me even though I very much admire the culture so I don't know if I'll ever even visit. At least Portugal is comfy though.

>first world mentality - scared of everything
Please stop, 18-25 y/o American and Euro women come here and stay at hostels in the favelas and you're scared?
Fear is the mind killer

I went up a level in Duolingo German

Attached: Untitled.png (1014x1212, 75K)

Duolingo introduced some new tournament feature on the app and now I have to study for hours. Some fucking dick has over 1000 XP this week and I gotta catch up.

It never ceases to amaze, baffle me people who actually take their time to learn Portuguese. Specially if the learner's mother tongue isn't one of the Romance languages, nor if this person has any connections to Portuguese speaking countries. Sure, it is the most spoken language on the Southern Hemisphere, but God is it useless. Portugal seems like a nice, decent country, but why would that be anyone's first choice is beyond me. Never heard of any Porboos. Also, Brazil doesn't have culture

I'm learning Swedish (partner is a Swede)
Duolingo is infuriating me

Brit x Swede
Cute!

this stupid thread only considers duolingo as "studying"

God. I need ~350 more XP to catch up with this sperg.

Attached: hffd6yuf.png (318x425, 19K)

not true

>Duolingo is infuriating me
How so?

damn finally

I recommend adding Memrise/Anki and Clozemaster to your studying if you haven't already.

who is the bigger sperg, the person practicing 700 exp on Duolingo, or the sperg who feels he needs to get 350 more exp just to catch up to the 700 exp sperg?

looking for spanish kino on netflix

Not him but the whole gamification aspect of it is just really fucking annoying. Fuck the slow animations, fuck the exp, fuck all the sounds except the spoken language. Just let me learn a fucking language without pampering me like I'm some zoomer.

Practicing on Duolingo is a lot like eating food. If you eat a ton of food you'll just shit most of it out. You gotta eat a reasonable amount every day if you actually want it to matter.

I don't mind that but what I absolutely hate, as someone learning Russia, is how you switch between keyboards CONSTANTLY. CONSTANTLY you are swapping between Russian and English keyboards. It's so bad it's to the point I can't use the Desktop app at all, despite having a Russian-layout keyboard, because if I want to swap keyboard layouts I have to Windows+Space. Doing that 10 times, between every question, is the most infuriating fucking thing. On the phone it's not as annoying because the app changes it for you, but it's still irritating.

Gib German help pls

vocaroo.com/i/s1EOpWpT9YP8

> Baby, nimm mich nicht so ernst. Du weißt, ich hab viel zu tun.
> Ich hänge mit meinen Freunde an meinem Schwimmingpool ab

> Unsere Liebe war so ähnlich wie ein Märchenbuch.
> Der guckt mal so happy und guckt man so ______________

> Und mein Herz wurde gebrochen und ich komm dich klar.
> Glaubst du diese Story? Dann ______________

> Du weißt, dass du nice bist,
> aber du bist heute noch noch meine Sidechick.

> Eh, eh, eh.
> Noch noch meine Sidechick.

What order are you supposed to do these exercises in?
Do you get to level five on the first and then move on to the next, or do you get to level 1 in all of them and then do them over?

Glückwunsch btw

Yes

Fuck those NPCnigger cunts desu

Are you a native speaker?

my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

Congrats my man

I signed up for a course on fennoswedish because I wanted to learn funny words and I didn’t take into account I’d have to read several books

>fennoswedish
is that a hybrid language or some sort of dialect?