Tell me a cool fact about your language

Tell me a cool fact about your language.
In Turkish, if a loanword starts with an s followed by a consonant, we usually add an "i" to the beginning
for example:
Sweden = İsveç
Switzerland = İsviçre
Spain = İspanya
Scandinavia = İskandinavya

Attached: 1557780406732.png (800x791, 596K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do-support
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

that fact is not cool tho :/

Ramlethal eating a burg

In Spanish is the same, but we add an "E"

Spain = España
Slovenia = Eslovenia
Slovakia = Eslovaquia

Wow.... The Turkish language is soooo interesting.....

ramethal sounds like a tool name

Sorry, this was the most interesting thing I could about this mongol jibber jabber
I just wanted to make a thread about interesting things in various languages and discuss them with other anons

Attached: 1552858747998.jpg (800x680, 47K)

could find about*

Countries names have genders in Greek. Turkey is female, Canada is male, Mexico is neutral and Russia is female. (I said the gender of the flags I saw on this thread.)

Penis in finnish is also penis

How do you guys decide what gender will a new country like Kosovo and South Sudan have?

Some country names have an article and some don't. I'm not aware of a reason why this is.

It comes naturally. They are both Neutral. It depends on how it ends. Turkey is Tourkia in Greek everything that ends in an A or an I is almost always female. Canada is Kanadas in Greek, AS is male. Mexico is well.. Mexico and it ends with an O, so it's neutral.

Its not a real gender. Countries don't just pick genders when they start. It comes through culture usually in forms of literature,art,or movies. For example the US is genderless because a lot of the literature calls it the Homeland and people start calling it the homeland. Russia is female because a lot of Russians say "mother Russia" because of the literature that calls it that. Armenia has literature for both genders as do most of these countries but fatherland is more popular to say because of some language mechanics. Usually whichever gender fits better will get talked about more and more things will be written about it

That's not it works in Greek, user. America is Ameriki in Greek, it ends with an I, so it's female.

its ok turkbro dont listen to those bullies i like your thread

Ram is so cute

True in English, but in English "America" is female.

We got some long words
very cool, heh...

Yeah I forgot that Greek was the topic of the question he asked

Based trips

there there, user

for english i guess do-support (which comes from celtic languages) and mandatory dummy words (which a lot of do-support is too).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do-support

Attached: 1501851667703.gif (500x500, 1.83M)

an old and well known colloquial synonym for penis in Slovene is tič, which means bird

Say a German word that can't be translated into English with one word. For example in Greek we have ανεβοkατέβηkα it roughly translates to "I went up and then down again" I couldn't think of a better example :(

The word country is feminine in Hebrew so all countries are female.

Mexicans mix spanish with injun languages.

The word country is feminine in Greek too. But the countries themselves can have gender. Israel is neutral. Palestine is female.

kosovo is neutral and south sudan is male

most if not all words that start with the letter p in icelandic are taken from latin

You have that in Russian too? What's Greece? Russia is female in Greek.

There's a big overlap, greece, turkey and russia are female, yet canada and mexico are female too

Attached: 1382446983_218447358.png (1425x625, 39K)

Was female*
Doesn't exist till they found it again

We use nahua words for cities

we use many accents but only é è and ç change the pronunciation and honestly theyre not even that useful unless you dont speak the language natively and dont know how to notice the underlying rules of the pronunciation of the E letter

Attached: 1549446823735.png (512x512, 113K)

I see. Does each gender end in a specific way like in Greek? I was too lazy to do more countries, but this is in Greek.

Attached: CountyGenders.png (4592x3196, 1.06M)

In Spanish gaming culture, we put "-ear" or "-ar" in foreign verbs in order to make them spanish
>Push
>pushear
>feed
>fidear
>snipe
>snipear

Nah.. Palestine is still very much a thing.

Attached: Palestine.png (1916x930, 878K)

>Iskandinavya
sounds pretty fucking based, close to "Iskandar"
love it

we just add -land or -ia as a suffix

I think this is a good one.

In Aramaic (which is spoken in Turkey, mostly before WWI) there is the abstract noun suffix like "-ity" "-ness", and "-ism", which is Semitic so it resembles the Hebrew and Arabic forms. However, there's much more variety.

In Hebrew dialects, I believe it's -ut, -uth, or -us.

In Arabic dialects, I believe it's -at, -as or -a.

In Aramaic dialects, there -ut, -uta, -uyt, -uyta, -uth, -utha, -utho, -us, -usa, -uso, -uw, -uwa, -ush, -usha, -ul, -ula, and -otha. Most of these versions are used in Kurdistan. -utha is a common version, and can be found in all translations of the Book of Genesis:

45 So Jacob took a stone and set it up as a pillar. 46 Then Jacob said to his brethren, “Gather stones.” And they took stones and made a heap, and they ate there on the heap. 47 Laban called it [b]Jegar Sahadutha, but Jacob called it [c]Galeed. 48 And Laban said, “This heap is a witness between you and me this day.” Therefore its name was called Galeed, 49 also Mizpah,[d] because he said, “May the Lord watch between you and me when we are absent one from another. 50 If you afflict my daughters, or if you take other wives besides my daughters, although no man is with us—see, God is witness between you and me!”

51 Then Laban said to Jacob, “Here is this heap and here is this pillar, which I have placed between you and me. 52 This heap is a witness, and this pillar is a witness, that I will not pass beyond this heap to you, and you will not pass beyond this heap and this pillar to me, for harm.

b. Genesis 31:47 Lit., in Aram., Heap of Witness
c. Genesis 31:47 Lit., in Heb., Heap of Witness
d. Genesis 31:49 Lit. Watch

Bump.

there are no words for yes or no in irish

>Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan masculine
>Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan feminine
Why? Don't they all end in -stan?

They turned from Stans into Stacie's, if you know what I mean.

Bump. Ban general threads.

True:
"Tacos al pastor" is the best street food (according to some food websites/magazines)

False:
Tacos al pastor are originally Mexican

Thanks bro
What words do you guys use instead?Just saying "yes" and "no" while speaking Irish Gaelic?

You're welcome.

*In modern Aramaic dialects, there are/is

the traditional names are Turkmenia and Kyrgyzia

We brough potato to yurop

> Poland
> feminine

It's Ojczyzna, literally fatherland

We say that in English too. Also birdie.

IT IS COOL
Do not listen to these subhuman cunts

In here we codeswitch in english between sentences regularly and we apply our grammar rules to english words. Like "off" for example if you wanted to use it in your code switches you'd just add the proper prefixes to signify tense
i-off "going to turn it off"
inoff "already turned it off"