Is studying Japanese in university a good idea?

My city's university has a Japanese department. Half of teachers are native Japanese so I don't have any doubts about the quality of education. Also I heard a lot of graduatees found jobs in Japan (white collar). Should I do it or find something else? Some people told me that Japanese isn't worth learning because of economic and demographic problems or some shit. I'm 19 btw not underage.

Attached: images (14).jpg (700x438, 15K)

>Japanese isn't worth learning because of economic and demographic problems
desu this
Just study in your free time and get an engineering degree.

Japanese is useless
Learn Chinese instead

Even if you choose such a path, your future will be bright if you do your best.

What a coincidence, I just enrolled at Japanese department yesterday.
>X language is useless
If it's official in any country that's relevant, this simply isn't true.
Think of Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Honda and other huge companies that work outside of Japan. They all need translators, you know.

>learning a language to become a translator
lmao

I did a 3 year Japanese major and everyone finished with only about N3 level Japanese (which is not enough to do anything let alone work). Their work ethic is pretty shite; work hard not efficiently sort of deal. Stupid ways of thinking such as age hierarchy, loyalty to one company your whole life, behind in technology (they still use mainly cash and fax machines). I honestly can’t see Japan’s economy stop their stagnation unless they change their work culture.

Translation is not a good job choice. Computer translation is just around the corner its only a matter of time before the job becomes nonexistent.

learn Mandarin mate, I'm your age and doing the same. China is going to be a crazy, exciting place with huge growth and opportunities in the coming decades unlike Japan

It's never a good idea to learn a language based on its percieved usefulness.
Go for it if you have a genuine interest in japanese culture, and if you're eager to learn. Else don't, you'll waste your time.

Japan is literally the third largest economy in the world and their companies have global influence: Toyota, Honda, Sony, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Toshiba. Sure, they have a low employment rate so it's not like they have a shortage of jobs to fill, but as a gaijin you will certainly find one

What's wrong with that? Translating documents for a big company is better than most jobs. You get your office and your task is literally rewriting shit from one language to another. Doesn't require anything other than knowing both languages. Besides, I never said that's the only reason why you should study it, it's just an example.
The worst job you can get is teacher, the best is probably at an embassy.

Attached: vucic-japan-automobili-Tanjug-Tanja-Valic.jpg (940x529, 85K)

yes learn chinese if you want to teach english to overcrowed schools in china, they don't need anything else from you, they already have plenty of native chinese speakers speaking a perfect english for their relevant jobs.

>but as a gaijin you will certainly find one
Delusion

Depends on what you mean by good idea. You probably won't make a lot of money, but if it really interests you you should go ahead.

> I just enrolled at Japanese department yesterday
Cool. Does it have native Japanese teachers? My university has an extra year because all classes are taught in Japanese.
Why?
I heard about this yes but stil it must be better than working here
I would but there is no Chinese department in my city. There are ones in other cities but all of them are pretty shit
Yes. I saw some people finding jobs in Japan and I want to do the same but some people keep telling me I'm wasting my time. I keep hearing bad things about Japan too. I was very eager at first but after hearing all these things, I have doubts.
>You probably won't make a lot of money
Compared to Europe and America? I'm planning to work in Japan as a white collar. Are salaries bad there?

>Learn Chinese instead
Chinkoid slasher

Attached: 1559655512588.png (739x488, 93K)

From what I heard yes. They are all female and they favor boys.

Go for it if you want, but chinese is much more helpful in terms of finding employment.

Learn Japanese is very useful to watching Anime and washing ass.
Learn Chinese is very useful to watching Anime anytime for free and divide of China.

You should choice Chinese if you hava a plan to want to be a American.

Attached: rq3.png (684x632, 514K)

>>X language is useless
That's not what's being said. Spending that much money on university for the sole purpose of learning the language is a waste. You don't need a university degree to prove you know that language. You can learn it by yourself and get the necessary certificates. Studying something else in university has much more value.

Look into unemployment/salary statistics. It really depends on where you are and what the degree teaches you.
I knew a woman who studied Japanese with a minor in business (She spent 6.5 years on her degree, two thirds of that was Japanese and one third business) and she had no issue finding a job where she worked with trading with East Asian companies. She said that those of her classmates who picked shitty minors like philosophy really struggled to find a job though.

So based

You will make less money, yes. It's not as if Japanese salaries are very high. Definitely not high compared to amount of hours worked.
Likely more money than in Turkey, though, if you actually manage to get a job in Japan, if which I'm skeptic.

>Spending that much money on university
University is free here afaik. I mean I'll pay some money for books and stuff but not much. Also this university is recognized by Japanese goverment which is very important while looking for a job
>what the degree teaches you
Pretty much everything about Japan. History, society, language and stuff like that. They also teach how to teach Japanese in the last years but I won't need that probably.
>You will make less money, yes
I didn't know that. I always thought Western and Japanese salaries were pretty much the same but definitely way more than here, that's for sure.
>if which I'm skeptic
A lot of people do find jobs in Japan and not miserable jobs either. They work in Japanese companies. I'm more worried about Japan's future actually. Population decline, economic stagnation tb.h