Emigrating to Canada

Convince me not to move from Amsterdam to Vancouver.
>45 minutes more sunlight per day, yet pretty much the same comfortable temperature
>less cloudy in summer, same in autumn/winter
>restaurants are about 30% cheaper, lots of good East Asian food
>wages are about 1,5 times as high in my profession
>income tax is max. 33%, vs Dutch 52%
>mountains, lots of nature
>houses are about 20% cheaper per square meter, even in the city with the highest population density of the whole country
>productive Chinese immigrants instead of Arabs and Blacks
So convince me not to move there. You literally can't

Attached: vancouver.jpg (1600x877, 387K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cic.gc.ca/
youtu.be/GWLuG9kcbfw?t=1660
iamsterdam.com/en/living/take-care-of-official-matters/highly-skilled-migrants/thirty-percent-ruling
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ÖRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

FUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK BRO IM GOONA COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

*splöööööört all over you face*

oh my gosh so sorry

cheers mate no problem, sorry

Why the fuck would I lmao everyone with a proper degree moves to Canada or the US you're a fucking idiot if you stay behind in Europe

>max 33%
There's a provincial income tax on top of the federal income tax so the maximum rate is 49%. The VAT is only 12% though.

how are you gonna get a job?

Ah, I see. Well, wages are still quite a lot higher.
That is really not a problem for me.

how so? do you already have an offer?

>That is really not a problem for me.
How?

Also Its called hongcover, with lots of junkies and stoners. Have fun

cic.gc.ca/

See if you qualify. You probably don't.

it's expensive to get anywhere else because there#s nothing around, it's not like Europe where there is another proper city every 10 km most of the time
not so sure if wages actually are that different
not so sure that after factoring in the cost of living there would still be much of a difference if there was one to begin with
you will literally be a foreigner where ever you go and have no right to complain in case others are being favored

Attached: average-software-developer-salary-world.png (871x811, 61K)

I'm a doctor, studying to be a psychiatrist. There is an insane amount of job offers.
According to the test I am eligible for express entry.

>be Netherlands
>have among the best medschools in Europe, so good you have to change laws because all of the EU is trying to get in
>invest a lot of money because doctors are important, tuition is 2k at best and often there's all sorts of extras for med students
>half of them skip the country the moment they are done
Are we being cucked?

>graduate
>enter a workforce of burned-out colleagues trying to deliver US private hospital quality healthcare for a UK NHS hospital price
>extremely critical colleagues and ambitious bullshit goals with marketing terms, much more so than any of the places I did internships abroad
>every year we make the system work against all odds with less funding than the year before, and because we made it work with these funds the government decides they can cut another 5% the next year even though the financial crisis is well over
>patients are a bunch of entitled idiots who think they know better because they read it on the internet
>yet the previous minister of health Edith Schippers decided that patients should have full rights to sew their doctors for every bullshit reason, and that every formal complaint HAS to be processed and put through a committee
>mental health care in Amsterdam is more foreigners who go to Amsterdam to take drugs than actual normal people who got ill without being an irresponsible idiot
>things are only going to get worse and worse

The Netherlands:
>shit climate
>shit food
>no mountains
Make no mistake, I love the crap out of my country and its people in general, but I think there's a lot that should be changed if the government wants to keep more of our medical graduates

Vancouver is expensive as fuck and has san Francisco tier hobo population

>but I think there's a lot that should be changed if the government wants to keep more of our medical graduates
Yeah taking their passports away for 10 years
Shithole country but we shouldn't subsidize foreign hospitals

It's still cheaper than Amsterdam.
The hobos are a byproduct of having a nice climate.

Netherlands is already as good as it gets, when it comes to infrastracture, architecture, public transportation. The only thing that would have prented me from moving there (besides closed borders) is dutch language.
But yeah Canada is nice

The Germans are subsidising our hospitals in the same way.

Dutch medical students are by far not as priviliged as you seem to think. We do 2.5 years of unpaid internships in which we basically slave for the system with at most a free lunch for thanks.
Then we have specialty training that is harder to get into and takes longer to finish than pretty much anywhere else. If we go on like this it's going to be only ambitious immigrants working in healthcare in a couple of decades, like it is in the UK already.

You really don't need to speak Dutch to live in Amsterdam, I see a lot of Russian patients.

Do they go crazy there lol. Still would feel isolated without the language but yeah it's maybe an option in the future

have you been to vancouver before? what part of the city would you be living in?
>it's expensive to get anywhere else because there's nothing around, it's not like Europe where there is another proper city every 10 km most of the time
this is a big one
seattle is 3-4 hours by car depending on the border, but could be 5-6 if border and bad traffic
closest actual canadian city is 13 hour drive, really difficult drive through mountains in winter
>former imperial capital is more expensive than a city 160 years old
that and they know there's minimal law enforcement, they don't go to jail for theft under $5000

damn, they know how to build, not like the US

Where I would be living would depend on the hospital where I get a job.
I don't generally leave Amsterdam a lot except on vacation. Places like Leiden and Den Haag might as well be a 12 hour drive away for all I care, but from here the closest real mountain is a 12 hour drive.
Living in a former imperial capital really doesn't do that much for your quality of life, the good looking parts are completely swarmed with tourists.

This is what shitty area looks like in Vancouver youtu.be/GWLuG9kcbfw?t=1660

>productive Chinese immigrants
well, I suppose if you consider wide spread white collar crime and fraud productive its somewhat true

Attached: 1532316852080.png (420x570, 17K)

Damn, that does look like a zombie apocalypse, with someone on flaka and all
No difference in crime, even corruption and bribery

Attached: crime amsterdam vs vancouver.png (1072x638, 57K)

>No difference in crime
Have you turned on the television in the last few days lmao just yesterday a lawyer got murdered for his involvement with a crown witness and this morning a former Eredivisie player was killed while driving his car

I was comparing crime rates in Vancouver and Amsterdam, what did you think I meant? Just look at the pic I posted.

I don't know what two recent high profile cases here have to do with this comparison.

2 high profile cases in 2 days. Most of these databases are from 2008 or so, they don't represent the shitshow Amsterdam has become

I guess.
In that case it just goes to show that Vancouver might be a nicer option for the future.

you probably want to get into vancouver general or st paul's in actual vancouver
the other big ones like surrey or burnaby are in indian areas
driving really sucks in the city, the population has doubled but it's the same road network, easiest to get around the city if you're close to broadway, 49th and cambie
that area is in the op pic, between the stadium and the cranes at the port
there used to only be 3 public artificial turfs in the city and one was there
so as a kid you'd have soccer games stopped because some druggie would wander onto the field, first saw someone shoot heroin when I was 9

Ah, thanks. I'll write that down.
Except for the interrupted football games, how did you like growing up in Vancouver?

You would have to support the Vancouver Canucks

I've lived in Amsterdam for most of my life without caring the tiniest bit for football, I think I can survive in Vancouver without caring for ice hockey

But the riots man...

god damn amsterdam must be wild if even hongcouver is cheaper

Amsterdam is very expensive but I'm sure Vancouver is too.

hard to answer without sounding Jow Forums
in hindsight very upset with my parents for how they raised me there
went to schools that were 80-90% nonwhite, there's no violence, but social groups were mainly based on race, lot of chinese kids didn't have much of a personality and their parents only cared about them getting good grades, school year puts a lot of importance on november-march when the weather sucks and many people get depressed

there's some other stuff specific to me that makes me dislike it, even though my mom didn't have a job my dad didn't want her driving me to school, so I would always show up to school in wet clothes, couldn't have a video game console so the one thing that whites and asians had in common wasn't available to me, basement would flood when it rained a bunch and my parents had the kids tv in the basement
if my dad was a better person I'd probably think more positively about it

I get the appeal of the area, but I'd rather live somewhere nearby like Nanaimo or Victoria

You really don't want to know, it's completely insane.
Houses are extremely profitable to lease short term to tourists or expats, making buying a first house completely impossible even for highly educated starters with top 5% salaries.

Restaurants are extremely pretentious and expensive or just crap quality. Locals are taxed a lot more than foreign expats. Owning a car is extremely expensive as well.

Sorry but Dutch people are only allowed to become farmers here

Damn, sounds like you had a tough time. My father went through a majority non-white primary school, so he knew well enough not to put me through the same thing.
Would you have preferred to grow up in an entirely different city, like Toronto?

I unironically have a great-uncle who lives in an entirely Dutch speaking farming community in Canada.

tough is a bit much, it wasn't bad but it wasn't good
I like to think I'd have been better off growing up in a smaller place with a more singular culture, something to fit in with, not toronto
a lot of the kids I grew up with ended up having mental issues, know a couple who have been put into group homes, most ambitious guy went from straight As in computer science to burning out and now he's a delivery driver, I feel lucky I got out

do you get along with your parents well? moving 7000km makes it seem not likely

We get along reasonably well, they aren't the reason why I would move.
I wasn't allowed a console either as a kid, and for most of my youth I was allowed 1 hour per week on the PC or watching telly.

Still, they have also supported me a lot and are nice people, albeit support mostly in the things that they wanted me to do.

I think the more important reasons for me to move would have to do with work and your own household, seeing as it is a more important part of adult life than your relationship with your parents if you ask me. At least here I'm quite sure it is for most people.

>Locals are taxed a lot more than foreign expats
I'd like to know more about this

>vancouver only has two major hospitals
Lel

Thank your great uncle for me, their dairy is yummy

>something to fit in with, not toronto
We don’t have that problem in Toronto. Toronto is more classist than anything. Where you live and how much money your parents make is what affects your quality of life, not really if your neighbour is a pajeet or not.

How old are you?

iamsterdam.com/en/living/take-care-of-official-matters/highly-skilled-migrants/thirty-percent-ruling

With what I've revealed already I'm getting dangerously close to doxxing myself, but let's say I'm about 25 years old

You’re young and single, it would def help your case. Plus you have an actually valuable career that would benefit Canada. Lots of our docs also leave for the states since they get paid way more over there so we really need them. I would say come to Toronto but we got some arabs here and the city is generally multicultural. Tbh it doesn’t really bother me since it really depends on which area you live in. Although our rent prices are also really high but since you’re a doc, you’ll probs be able to afford it.

Toronto seems really nice as well.

To be honest what started me thinking about Canada was a date with a Canadian girl I had. Her family had moved to Canada from Belgium. She basically couldn't stop talking about how much she missed Canada being here. And of course not just her family, she really meant Canada itself and its people in general.

Aw that’s nice. You know, you should probs scout the area out before you move here if you have the time and money. Come for a few weeks or a month even and see if you like it. Talk to some other Canadian docs/med professionals and see what they have to say about working here as a doctor. If you’re gonna make such a major decisin like moving to another country, make sure it’s an informed one.

Certainly, those things go without saying.
I'm still in the fantasising stage though, not really in the planning and concrete steps phase.
Thank you for the advise though!
Have a nice evening though, I'm going to get some sleep before work tomorrow.

Are you ready for the north american work life? People only get a few days off a year and you can get canned for taking time off legally because the perception is if the company can afford you being gone for two week we probably not need you full time or the classic I got back from my vacation and they replaced me because my role is too important. On top of that 50-60 hour weeks are the norm but you're a doctor so i'm sure you're ready for that. If you come to Van try to live close to work, the city is pretty consistently expensive rent wise and youll just add 40 minutes of driving to save yourself 200 bucks a month.

Move to Edmonton. Way cheaper than Vancouver, and you can put those psychiatry skills to work treating depressed oil patch workers. Sure, it's below freezing 7 months out of the year, but we get more sunshine than Vancouver, even when it's -40.

Only four hours to the mountains!

Attached: Edmonton Tourism.jpg (800x1237, 319K)

My parents take a month off for vacation time every year and they haven’t lost their job yet