How the hell do I move into management roles in tech? Do I need an MBA? Just keep job hopping till I'm promoted...

How the hell do I move into management roles in tech? Do I need an MBA? Just keep job hopping till I'm promoted? Keep applying blindly to them? Get a masters?

Attached: 1527931631665.png (1640x2301, 3.14M)

How did the managers working in your company get that role?

Most were hired on externally

Well there is you answer, apply for similar positions in other companies. IMHO good people skills are more important than MBA, but that depends on company. The required degree is usually in the job ad (at least where I live).

Most don't have MBAs, but all the job postings request them.
What is the secret

Anyone else done this?

The secret is to apply anyway and advertise all the things you DO have.

CISSP , PMP

or just apply for the right positions.
I got lucky, I got a network engineering job, they really liked me and now I'm managing 2 people.

Went from a junior to a mid level supervisor in 5 months.

Never had a degree and no intentions of ever getting one.

I'm testing for CISSP in early April though.

So it really is just luck? I should just keep trying different positions until I get promoted?

I guess luck helps, what state/city do you work in?

Working on the coast of Washington (the state) helps, people are always switching jobs because there are so many opportunities.

But if you work in one of those places where people plan to stay until they retire then the chances of you hopping into a better role will be very slim.

Try throwing your resume out to the whole world.

Someone will probably be desperate enough for a manager of some sort.

Canada, Vancouver.
Yeah that's the plan. I just want to get up to a management role so I can move to the states easier.

Also, how literally do you mean the whole world. Does international experience usually transfer to north american companies?

I don't see why not, if you're doing the same things with the same programs.

But you aren't to far away Amazon & Microsoft are always hiring.

How is hiring into those places after entry level?

[spoiler]test[/spoiler]

[spoiler] test [/spoiler]

[spoiler test /spoiler]

[test] spoiler [/test]

I would also like to know

you had it right in but Jow Forums is a non-spoiler board. Go try on /v/ or /vg/.

It may have been though, it's been a while for me.

Oh also you can just type stuff out, highlight it, and press control+s and it will add spoiler cover automatically.

Do they not have "lead" positions where you work? That's how everyone I know that started as a admin or engineer transitioned to management. You end up "Senior DevOps Lead" or "Lead Systems Administrator" or whatever for a few years where you're essentially a jr manager withing your specialty. People that did well in that sort of role got promoted into more general and traditional management roles.