Living with yourself

So I shit talked a friend on Jow Forums and someone found out and sent my friend the screenshot. Now I'm facing the consequences of my actions. I don't know how many friends I'll lose but my relationships with them will certainly be altered after this

This is probably my last post on Jow Forums seeing as I'm not even mature or smart enough to be a decent person, but I was hoping anyone could give me some advice on what to do now

I haven't gotten a call message from the friend I wronged just yet or anyone I know, but I was wondering what I should do before then or how to handle the paranoia.

Attached: IMG_3699.jpg (663x579, 46K)

what did you do and how did they trace it back to you?

Deny, deny, deny. Suggest the guy who took the screenshot made the post expressly to discredit you. Muddy the waters enough and you might get away with it.

They don't know who I am, but I posted a screenshot of a couple of my friend's twitter posts
I colored-out his name and the dates and his handle and everything
There was a tweet between his two tweets but I didn't do anything to it
They instantly found his twitter.
I then realized you could literally type in half of one of his tweets into the search and one of the only two profiles it would bring up was his
Someone then posted the handle and someone else thanked him and claimed he was sending my friend a screencap of my post

The problem is that the nature of my tweet points to a specific anecdote of which only three people were present: him, me, and another person
He'll quickly be able to narrow it down to me, as will the other person who is another friend of mine and one of the few people in the world who knows I shitpost on Jow Forums daily

Deny it anyway. Just because you can figure it out doesn't mean the other side can. And you can always claim coincidence. You're in the mindset of information symmetry.

It was an off-post that I didn't even give a second thought to
But now I'm beginning to realize I shit talk people all the time and never really thought about it
So now I'm about to have a lot fewer friends and a lot more free time to think about what I do

Fuck
I just realized everyone knows I browse Jow Forums
I made several posts in our GroupMe

>So now I'm about to have a lot fewer friends and a lot more free time to think about what I do
Dude, just fucking deny it. People will act a little suspicious of you for a little bit but won't flat out cut you off like they would if you fess up to shit-talking online.

Though really they might not even care. Just chill your tits.

I don't know that they won't care.
My friend's really sensitive and insecure
Once we talked about him when I accidentally had my Discord on and he was freaking out that we thought he was stupid
Though admittantly that's what my post was all about
He's also directly friends with everyone I know and can call friend
So in hindsight this was incredibly stupid as now I'm about to lose basically every close friend I've ever had, or at least they'll be suspicious of me

That's what you get for being a snake, OP

>I'm about to lose basically every close friend I've ever had, or at least they'll be suspicious of me
It'll clear up in a week if you're not autistic about it. Just deny. Muddy the waters, suggest someone's trying to stir shit. Deny shit you think is obvious, like how they found the Twitter account. Just chill the fuck out, you're panicking and that makes you seem ten times more guilty.

Yeah... I know
Sorry I'm just not used to lying outright to people
I've always tried to be honest
I guess that is supposed to extend to what you say when someone's not around

go forth and apologize. if you do something wrong you shouldnt wait til your parents address it. be mature, take responsibility. make amends. dont try to fix it, just say you understand if they dont want to talk to you but you are sorry and explain why.

spoiler alert, if you're only sorry because their feelings are hurt, you are not really sorry. why do you feel bad that they found out vs if they didn't find out

>Sorry I'm just not used to lying outright to people
Yeah, it's something you get better at with age. Flat denial, don't even argue it initially, "You know me better than that man, what the fuck?"

t. got on tor to vandalize google docs forms/sign up sheets in my small grad school program, called half the girls fat, a bunch of others ugly. People got SO BUTTHURT. Someone asked if it was me. "No way man. Unlike that guy, I have a life."

OP must know that his lies should strive to be congruent with his self. Not that people will care if they deep down know he is lying, but still one should try to be congruent. You seem to be a dude that already has an image of being outgoing and the kinds. So saying "unlike that guy, I have a life" is congruent. Now OP might not have the same luck with this specific argument, because he might not have this outgoing cool busy guy or whatever.

>Sorry I'm just not used to lying outright to people
>I've always tried to be honest
Not the one quoted, but I have been this way for most of my life as well and it has made me have plenty of troubles with people that would otherwise be easily fixed with a little lie. I got to a point where I am creating this false self, a whole character based on things I know. It's surprising how I am able to easily avoid conflict and feel so much safer talking to people, because I know I am not telling anything about my real self.

>Now OP might not have the same luck with this specific argument, because he might not have this outgoing cool busy guy or whatever.
Hah. That is a fair point.

>if you do something wrong you shouldnt wait til your parents address it.
I don't even know if they really sent it to him or not
I just assume they did because it's Jow Forums
It's a Schroeder' cat
If I call him and they never messaged him, it doesn't matter because now I'll have told him
If I don't call him and they did message him, then itll be worse
>spoiler alert, if you're only sorry because their feelings are hurt, you are not really sorry
Can you elaborate?
Do you mean I shouldn't have done this to begin with?
What do you mean congruent?

>What do you mean congruent?
He means that you probably won't have much luck saying "I have a life, not like the guy who posts that shit" if nobody believes you believe that about yourself.

Okay yeah I'm pretty much the opposite of cool easy going guy
In fact I'm kind of fingered pretty easily everytime we play lying games or jokes on eachother
I can't keep a straight face

Then just flatly deny it without saying more.

I know Jow Forums's "secret club" status is long gone but I wouldn't befriend anyone who browses this site. It's just too weird. It's like something you'd keep to yourself, I can't imagine talking to friends about threads/boards. Yikes

>If I call him and they never messaged him, it doesn't matter because now I'll have told him
it DOES matter.

look you are either legitimately sorry for what you did, OR you aren't sorry but have something to gain from keeping this person in your life and not mad at you.

if you are legitimately sorry, then you should tell him, even if he DOESN'T know, because thats how you start to show remorse, by admitting to something you don't need to admit to. explain why you did it, if you have any good reason, its often as easy as saying 'there are things that happened/you did that I don't agree with, and I was using Jow Forums to rant. It doesn't tell the whole story about how I feel about you as a person, which is largely positive.'. and that is often the honest answer.

>do you mean I shouldn't have done this to begin with?
yes, but its like when a guy cheats on his wife. should he have done it? no. but if he truly is sorry, he should tell his wife, not hide it from her.

Don't say anything until you know for sure that someone knows it's you. If you know for sure than just do it, talk to him. Not saying anything when everybody knows is just going to make it worse.
However it sounds like you truly know you've been caught since you did slip up pretty badly so I'd start working on my apology if I were you, though you might still lose everyone. But what can you do

Fuck I mention Jow Forums to people off-handedly sometimes
I'm fucking retarded
This is looking to be a really bad Sunday

advice is subjective. two people gave you different pieces of advice, but the motivation behind them is important. oen is not objectivley better than the other, and netiher are guaranteed to lead to a happy ending.

what matters is what is best for your soul. think about what you really want to do in this situation regardless of the outcome.

>what matters is what is best for your soul. think about what you really want to do in this situation regardless of the outcome.
I'd say intentionally losing all your friends is far worse for your soul than learning how to deny shit that doesn't matter.

I don't know what I'm going to do
I suppose I'll wait to see if they actually did it or not
I haven't heard anything from anyone just yet
I live far away from my home state so I'll just have to read the attitudes of my friends and see how interacting with my friend is cold or unassuming
I'm just going to have to live with a cursed life until then
Should I tell my mom?