Anxiety

I'm about to start university and I don't think I could cope with lecture theatres on grounds of my anxiety, how do i cope?

Attached: 1537311523784.gif (409x409, 249K)

Sit in the back. If you’re having an attack, stand up and leave.

>stand up and leave.
This worries me as i don't want to draw attention to myself, also if i sit at the back I'm furthest from the exit

Well sit near the exit then. In college, in large lectures, it’s normal to come and go during class. It’s a little more awkward during small lectures but even then it’s perfectly normal.

Literally just get up like you’re gonna go take a leak. Nobody will notice or care.

You are much less likely to be noticed in a large lecture hall. Just think of it like going to a movie theater except all the lights are on.

Do people actually just walk out of lectures like it's nothing?

Yes. It's completely normal. Just don't make a lot of noise and promptly leave. Basically like what you'd do if you got a phone call in a theater that you NEEDED to take. You'd get up, walk out to the lobby. Same sort of pace.

Yeah desu

And by that I don't mean running/sprinting. Just walk quickly.

Yeah it's a little weird when the doors are in the front of the class, but there's always seats where you're close enough that you can just kinda slip out.

And if you want to be really polite, let the door shut quietly.

Honestly if you have anxiety problems, have you talked to your university's counseling department? Not because you need therapy or whatever, but if you're diagnosed you can get special accommodations for your problem, like taped lectures or whatever in case you're having trouble. It's astounding the shit these colleges will do user.

Basically whatever you do don't suffer alone, go talk to someone at the school and they will give you great advice.

Common as fuck. I've seen people walk out 15 minutes after the lecture started, except it's a smaller theater where the door is literally right behind the lecturer at the front.

>I don't think I could cope with lecture theatres
What particular parts make you anxious?

I generally have anxiety and I'm worried i will have an anxiety attack where i start feeling sick. I don't want to be sick in front of like 100 people
>taping
This sounds like a good idea, presumably I'd have to ask lecturer for permission

>I generally have anxiety and I'm worried i will have an anxiety attack where i start feeling sick. I don't want to be sick in front of like 100 people
If it's that bad you should probably see a therapist. Also the taping idea is fine but you need to accept that it is a way of avoiding your fear instead of facing it. It might be the best idea right now but don't pretend you have solved the problem.

I think the university has a counseling service, I'll get in contact with them

Does anyone have any tips for immediate anxiety relief?

Sit comfortably close your eyes and breathe deeply from your stomach and focus on your breathing.

>This sounds like a good idea, presumably I'd have to ask lecturer for permission
There’s a campus office that handles all of that if it’s because of a diagnosed problem.

Also, large lectures attended by premed students tend to have a liberal taping policy. Last year I visited my alma mater and sat in on a lecture in one of the theater-size halls. There was a pile of cell phones on the stage.

Ok
I sometimes find it difficult as i am shivering when i try it in a situation of anxiety

Go super early.

It’s very difficult to walk in a full hall and not feel anxious.

Get prescribed medication. I had anxiety back in high school, but it got way worse in university. I stopped going to every single lecture because it was that bad, so my grades were not stellar.

Get meds, sit in the back

This is honestly necessary to get good seating too. If you need to be by the door, you gotta get there early.