People who learned a second language, what tips do you have? What did you find most effective with learning?

People who learned a second language, what tips do you have? What did you find most effective with learning?
>have russian muh heritage
>can read Russian, can understand it fairly ok, not perfectly though
>speak like a retard
>want to improve

Attached: babushka.jpg (1200x960, 186K)

Other urls found in this thread:

apps.ankiweb.net/
en.openrussian.org/
en.wiktionary.org/
mega.nz/#!0EhTCJYa!rl7oW2AWo1CmSXS5k3Lql_e8PmNfxfSrLJq5_-SSSvw
youtube.com/channel/UCklUqFEcJqFnWKEBozw5p4g
youtube.com/channel/UCToc6Wngxhw2jfhvGzS966Q
youtube.com/channel/UCistUowRXw5Nb_OXgVRPP3w
russianpodcast.eu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Submersion. Learning Greek in class was great for writing and syntax, but I didn't learn to speak until I stayed with only Greeks for a month.

Also, it's important to just go for it. Some people don't want to say anything until they know a sentence is perfect and correct, but with that approach you'll spend most of the time sitting quietly on the bench. Throw your hat in the ring and say whatever you think is accurate-ish, people will correct you and you'll learn from it.

You are learning and you have nothing to prove.

If you can, put yourself in an environment where people speak the language you're trying to learn. I took some Spanish in college, and I've held onto it and expanded it by working in a place where it's spoken all day long.

Consume as much material purely in Russian as possible. Classes are useful to have a solid foundation before you do this, but you really only learn to speak the language once you surround yourself with it.

This is how I've learned English and I'm currently learning French.

There's one method of immersion where you aren't allowed to speak or write anything other than the target language for all of your communication. That could help.

listen to russians in media in russian, watch russian channels, read all things in russian

i learned to speak english by watching the bbc, i understood it before, could write, but speaking was different

пpивeт я тoжe изyчaю pyccкий язык ))

I don't know if I have any heritage there but I have some foggy ancestry and obvious slavic features that people always assume I am Russian anyway which has lead to some confusion. I also like how it sounds so I'm learning too. The grammar is a bit of a nightmare. My advice is to go there and live in immersion because I learned all my languages that way. Second is to listen and read it everyday.

Use Anki for new vocabulary
apps.ankiweb.net/

Dictionaries
en.openrussian.org/
en.wiktionary.org/

Russian Short Stories
mega.nz/#!0EhTCJYa!rl7oW2AWo1CmSXS5k3Lql_e8PmNfxfSrLJq5_-SSSvw

YouTube Channels I like
youtube.com/channel/UCklUqFEcJqFnWKEBozw5p4g
youtube.com/channel/UCToc6Wngxhw2jfhvGzS966Q
youtube.com/channel/UCistUowRXw5Nb_OXgVRPP3w

Podcasts and Articles
russianpodcast.eu/

Start young, prefered as mandatory class is school.

very helpful advice

Just use it, mudak. Read Russian, talk to Russians, watch some Russian movies/series, listen to Russian music (preferably something with a lot lyrics like hip hop, tho there will be obviously a lot slang) Do some writing exercises in Russian.

>изyчaю
No Russian would say that unironically in this context. UTCHU it is.

Hear and see people speak in the language that you are learning helps. If you understood the natural pronounciation of the language you can easily incorporate meaning through voice pitch, gesture as well as mimics.

Listen to music, watch movies, travel the country that you want to learn the language from. All other approaches pretty much depend on how good you are at following a structured approach to learning a thing

Heт. Moжнo гoвopить и тaк, и тaк. "Учy" пpeдпoчтитeльнee.

Sorry I'm not fluent after 3 months of studying I guess.

Пpocтo зaпoмни фpaзy
Haхyй тaк жить

Isutchau would be more serious study, kinda like a scholar. I never ever heard anyone using it for "studying a language".

Yes, that's correct. While "uchu" is more appropriate, nobody would notice if you said "изyчaю".

Polyglot here (Native English & French speaker, fluent in Spanish, currently studying for a Japanese certification) and like a lot of people said you just gotta be up to your head in Russian all day everyday, first thing you see and hear in the morning and last thing you see and hear before going to bed - and then you have dreams in Russian. All of your media has to be in Russian.

Obviously just taking a 16 hour flight to Moscow on a whim simply for the sake of learning how to speak isn't something that most people can do or afford, but there's likely loads of websites and apps that lets you talk with native Russian speakers via webcam.

I'm in the same situation as you OP.

I think I'm soon going to switch all my media to Russian, listening to podcasts, watching videos.

Even silly videos will probably help alot, wonder what a few weeks of content will do to my brain.

>Even silly videos will probably help alot,

It actually will. It's often easier to learn in a relaxed setting with video games or dumb youtube videos than it is to be sitting there at a desk with pen & paper and just repeating what you hear off an audiobook or whatever