"To resuscitate the economy"

I got 0 points in a problem in an English test where I used the word 'resuscitate' in the sentence in the title. I was told that I got zero points because the word wouldn't usually be used in a sentence like that, but I disagree. Here's the definition of 'resuscitate' from the Oxford dictionary:

1 Revive (someone) from unconsciousness or apparent death.
‘an ambulance crew tried to resuscitate him’

1.1 Make (something) active or vigorous again.
‘measures to resuscitate the ailing economy’

As per the second example, wouldn't my sentence be a valid one? Asking here because I want to hear a normal native's opinion before complaining about it.

Attached: 435820.jpg (100x100, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2018/02/20/world/americas/venezuela-petro-currency.html
nytimes.com/2018/04/19/world/americas/miguel-diaz-canel-bermudez-cuba.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What country are you from? And yes that sounds like a completely normal sentence to me.

Sounds like a correct sentence to me.

When talking about the economy, "revive" is usually the most common term although "resuscitate" can be used.

Teachers are humans and humans make mistakes, or are sometimes not very good at their job.

Can you provide us with the sentence? Not a native myself, but sounds correct anyway

Seems normal to me.

New York Times thinks it's legit:
nytimes.com/2018/02/20/world/americas/venezuela-petro-currency.html

I'm Finnish, and here's the text (look at 17.8). 'Elvyttää' = revive/resurrect/resuscitate. But when translating the word 'resuscitate' into Finnish, the only right answer is 'elvyttää'. I've asked other Finnish people and they all told me that I most likely got zero points because the word is usually used to describe the act of reviving a person from unconsciousness, rather than a thing, like the economy.

Attached: text.png (786x249, 21K)

Also, revive/boost/repair/sort out/revivify were all valid answers, but not 'resuscitate'. I think I'm going to complain about this, thanks.

Show her/him what the dictionary says. You're not in the wrong.

You're correct in your usage. Do Finish people not have figurative language?

We do, but the grading in this particular exam tends to be very harsh.

Also, another native speaker has told me it's incorrect because it implies the economy is dying and nearly dead, which in the context of the text might be an exaggeration. Are they right?

Your teacher is wrong. Giving someone zero points for putting a word that makes sense, but is unusual for that topic culturally is absolute horseshit. You should kick her in the vagina. Wonder how I know she's a woman.

Bump. Here's the full text again:
President Muhammadu Buhari was elected last year on a wave of optimism that he would fight corruption and [elvyttää] the economy.

This is a standardized test so I wouldn't blame the teacher too much (I don't know who graded it).

It's icky wording one ideally wouldn't use but it's perfectly valid nevertheless.

Though why the fuck would you bother with complaining about such dumb shit? The education system is full of shit, big news. Your English seems decent enough to ace the exam either way.

Nah I'm just being so persistent about this because I'm exactly 1 point off from my desired grade (which funnily enough wouldn't even be the best one).
I also know that 'revive' would've worked too, I was just trying to be fancy. Which of course backfired.

How the fuck did you manage to get an entire grade off the best?

Oh and to address:
>another native speaker has told me it's incorrect because it implies the economy is dying and nearly dead, which in the context of the text might be an exaggeration. Are they right?
Yes and no. It's sadly not uncommon to use dramatic and flowery language like that and it's obviously not entirely 100% correct but a person has to have multiple sticks in their ass to complain about it.

The economy definitely need resuscitation.

Dude, they use it in the nytimes.
Tell your teacher that he is an incompetent fuck and that he can suck your dick while he gives you a good grade. I mean, not with those exact words.

nytimes.com/2018/04/19/world/americas/miguel-diaz-canel-bermudez-cuba.html

Attached: Captura.png (628x558, 45K)

There were many multiple-choice questions with several very similar possibly right options. Tbf I don't think I could've gotten the best grade even if the whole thing was in Finnish. This is the most expansive and difficult standardized English exam here, after all.

Also:
>Yes and no. It's sadly not uncommon to use dramatic and flowery language like that and it's obviously not entirely 100% correct but a person has to have multiple sticks in their ass to complain about it.
The text is about Nigeria's oil crisis, which according to the text lead to a double-digit inflation and its first recession since 1991. This is also mentioned: "Infrastructure is in tatters, and blackouts are becoming more common". That's a dramatic enough situation to accept the use of the word, right?

Your usage of the word was entirely correct. Show that NY Times article to your teacher. If they don't accept your answer at that point, then you're dealing with an incompetent instructor.

Thanks a lot, I will.

yes you're right OP