Save a Life!!!

What's the best piece of advice you've ever been given?

Attached: tumblr_n26ykpy04X1tq8ev4o1_1280.jpg (960x1280, 174K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7hx4gdlfamo
youtube.com/watch?v=CUuHdACg83E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Marcus Aurelius and Jordan Belfort have a lot of good quotes for people going through tough times or wanting to succeed

"Don’t ask yourself what you want out of life. It’s easy to want success and fame and happiness and great sex. Everybody wants those things. A much more interesting question to ask yourself is, “What kind of pain do I want?” "What are you willing to struggle for?"

“We are responsible for experiences that aren’t our fault all the time. This is part of life.” "

“An obsession and over-investment in emotions fails us for the simple reason that emotions never last.”

All from the book "the subtle art of not giving a fuck"

Highly recommended it OP.

"If you are in a creative slump - don't buy anything. Make something out of things you already have. It's easy to confuse buying something with progress."

To vote for Bernie Sanders

Masturbate before every big decision.
If you want to go on a killing spree, start with yourself.

BEE urself.

It just most idiots misunderstand it as "so I can go back to vidya and bitch over how bad warlocks got nerfed to my crush" instead of becoming the best possible version of yourself with no fucks given about anything and anyone else.

I became a diety and gave inspiration through my own practices.

Attached: Umaru2.jpg (300x169, 12K)

If you want peace, prepare for war. Or just 'prepare for war'. It just means be ready for shit to hit the fan at all times.

I have never learned something from someone I've agreed with.

Attached: c6e194_6365290.jpg (650x391, 78K)

Work hard. Don't complain much.

If a piece of advice is easily misinterpreted and you have to explain it or call thousands of people who question it idiots for it to work then it's bad advice.

If you want to tell people to be the best possible version of themselves then maybe tell people to "be the best possible version of yourself" instead of something they might find vague, confusing or useless.

BEE urself also addresses HOW to become this version and implies disregard for people who'd put you into another box. It's pretty fucking perfect.

Everything can be misunderstood, and while advice obviously has to be accessible, using couple people who failed to get it against it doesn't make too much sense, if everyone who did get it reached another level.

Stop eating sugar.
Eat your vegetables and brush after every meal.
Stay hydrated.
The mind is entirely dependent on the body and vice versa.
Never masturbate without toilet paper or a paper towel.

>BEE urself also addresses HOW to become this version
I repeat. "Be yourself" does not tell you to become the best possible version of yourself. "Be the best possible version of yourself" tells you that. You're extrapolating based on information that isn't anywhere but your own head, this is your personal interpretation when it is not necessarily what the words are defined to mean. Moreover, "Be yourself", not necessarily being defined as anything but "Exist as you personally", doesn't address anything because it barely means anything without adding additional information to it. What you're doing is giving people a pile of sticks and calling it a fuckin' cabin, it's just a pile of sticks. It implies almost nothing and helps very few people. It's not complex enough to be as abstract and deep and meaningful as you tout it to be, it's just a garbage platitude.
>Everything can be misunderstood,
When I call "be yourself" confusing, I don't mean that it's misunderstood, I mean that people just don't fucking get why someone who seems like they want to sincerely help them would tell them such a meaningless statement. NO ONE misunderstands "be yourself" they just can't read your mind and extrapolate all the made up meaning you've gained from sheer nothingness.
>while advice obviously has to be accessible, using couple people who failed to get it against it doesn't make too much sense
Now you act like your say-nothing phrase is fucking genius that only retards wearing their retard helmets don't get.
> if everyone who did get it reached another level.
The advice isn't good just because you think you're better than other people who don't like the advice. Advice isn't about winners and losers, it's about helping people and your platitude says too little to ever effectively help as many people as you'd want if you were sincere about giving advice.

"Exist as you personally" requires you to find out what that even means for you and find a way to make it work. Which leads to self-reflection and self-improvement and you eventually becoming a better version of you. All it takes is the sincerity to seriously engage with it. Hell, by being so simple and needing some extra work from the person receiving it, "be urself" even tests for initiative.

Now obviously people who do lack the means to use it right away would need something more precise but who suggested to answer every call for help with "bee urself"? There thread was just about the best advice we got for ourselves.

>"Exist as you personally" requires you to find out what that even means for you and find a way to make it work.
No, for everyone, it means that the individual human that you experience in the first person perspective should be made to have objective being as the individual human that you experience in the first person perspective. It's amazing how meaningless it is. If you genuinely want a good amount of people(or even guarantee one person) to go down a path of self-reflection and self-improvement and end up becoming the better version of who they were then you need something more meaningful and profound. The different between this and something genuinely profound is that this requires you to make up something out of what isn't there and the latter has you challenge yourself to discover exactly what was there to begin with. It's the difference between an empty canvas and a Van Gogh or Picasso or Da Vinci. It is not this simple saying packed full of meaning like like you're trying to play it off as, it's emptiness and I could stretch what is actually said to a thousand words and none of those words would have a shred of real content inside.
>Now obviously people who do lack the means to use it right away
Again, you're treating people, who you claim that this piece of advice is meant to help, are retards who require a retard helmet and that "they just don't get it". There is nothing to get, this isn't a packed message, it's the Jow Forums equivalent of a fortune telling, it's empty and unassuming enough that any given person could possibly project something(or nothing at all) to it but does it tell you anything, anything at all? No. It's worthless.
>There thread was just about the best advice we got for ourselves.
and the subject is "save a life", if you intend to do that you need better advice than this.

Just keep fighting.

My father is really shitty overall but this stayed with me.
>If you can't stand something, change it. If you can't change something, stand it.
Also this song's lyrics
youtube.com/watch?v=7hx4gdlfamo

>for everyone, it means that the individual human that you experience in the first person perspective should be made to have objective being as the individual human that you experience in the first person perspective.
That's just going full autism ignoring how even something as basic as language works, and the context of usage for "be urself".
Let's assume you're talking to some dude who wants to post another post on 4chains and tell him to put a spoiler on it. Based on his experience level and the context and whatever else, it's pretty much given he'll get it. Same with "be urself" for people who are almost there.
>Again, you're treating people, who you claim that this piece of advice is meant to help, are retards who require a retard helmet and that "they just don't get it".
People who wouldn't get it right away, probably would profit from retard helmets but then it's simple not the right advice for them, so I'd be just as retarded to suggest it to them. The same thing said to people with vastly different levels of experience and understanding can obviously be misunderstood. An art student looking at Picasso will find totally different things than your uncle Jerry. Someone who still isn't there, won't find too much meaning in "bee urself" either.
> the subject is "save a life"
D-dude, are you on the spectrum or just fucking with me?
Also hey, it saved mine and countless of other lives, so there is that.

I don't know, mate. It seems way too fucking civil for that. Especially for Jow Forums standards.

Best advice, = Stop being a whiney Bi*ch and fix your life. People hate whiney Bi*ches.

Again, you've taken your interpretation and extrapolated a meaningless phrase to fit what's in your head and now "countless of other" people's heads apparently. That doesn't make your platitude useful and it doesn't stop it from being empty.

Stop being afraid to say more, stop using this empty phrase as an excuse so you don't have to think of better advice that would help more people. You already have an interpretation that you can take and make into a more powerful sentence than this. If you want to earnestly help the goal would best be served by making a new phrase that has actual meaning to discover, rather than pure nothingness to project on.

Nobody cares, work harder.

That's pretty good.

I guess a better example would be "I want to fuck you", coming from your uncle when you're a 4 year old and your crush when you're a 20 year old, it changes the way it's going to be interpreted, and by adding more context to the situation, it would make it even harder not to get it. Same with "bee urself".

>empty phrase as an excuse so you don't have to think of better advice that would help more people
But that's not how any of it works. The person who would be receptive to the meaning of "bee urself" doesn't need anything more. It's the last bit needed for them. Obviously it's up to you to figure out whether they are before you give the advice, but where did I even imply that it's the godly phrase that will fix everything for everyone after just hearing it?

The "I'm right, if you don't ""get"" what I say, you're wrong" mentality isn't something you should have if you're looking to give sincere advice. If you want to help someone by saying that means something else to you than what it necessarily means by definition then just saying what it means to you, or find something better to say. "Be yourself" is bad and all of the reasoning for why has already been said so I don't much else to say. Just help people better.

You cant control the world around you. The moment you just assume that good or bad everything and everyone else is doing exactly what theyre supposed to and focus more on your emotions reactions and what you can control your life will improve immensely.

>"I'm right, if you don't ""get"" what I say, you're wrong" mentality isn't something you should have if you're looking to give sincere advice.
Eh, not sure whether I believe in the stuff. If X worked for me and you fail to get X to profit from it too, then it didn't work for you. No one is really in the wrong here. And pretty sure I noted, that beating someone over the head with something that worked for you isn't the way to go, and would make you wrong.

And as for the key disagreement is about the meaning or lack of it in simple phrases ... and the disregard of context just doesn't make too much sense for me. There is zero reason to go in deep and monologue a person to death if you have reasons to believe that something shorter will do the trick. Just like it'd be silly to use something short if you don't know how the person will interpret it.

Your uncle doesn't need to describe his struggle with pedophilia and list his previous encounters, and then teach you about the history of the word "fuck", and then explain how you turn him on, nor does you crush needs to go on and on about how great you are and what kind of sex you're going to have, when "I want to fuck you" gets the point across.

My guitar teacher tell me "you kinda just have to do it" when i dont understand concepts. I live by it when i dont wanna do things that arent music related, like my bio exam this week.

Attached: 1536896305989.png (747x686, 62K)

Music makes things better.

I find this true for a lot of stuff, I've read a study where listening to it during a session can hurt studying and retention(especially if you're unfamiliar with the song and/or it has a lot going on like with metal or some rap). However, before, after and between breaks of a session I find that it can be really motivating.

Make do with what you have

dont break more than one law at a time.

Don’t be mad if someone abuses your love, trust, etc. be happy that you have that within you to give.

Also be aware that in this world there are people you could basically give your life for, and their response would be, I didn’t ask you to do that.

If you change yourself to make someone else happy you'll end up resenting them

Don't have a role model. Never put anyone on a pedestal. No one is perfect and it's not fair to either of you.

Make the most of every day, never let a minute go to waste. Always keep a book close by. If you know you'll be in a long line or waiting room take stuff with you to accomplish (i.e. a list of bills to pay or a bank statement that needs reviewing.) Limit time spent on mindless things.

Better that something remains unsaid than to say too much

That's some great stuff.

The only people who will ever tell you that having an education is a bad thing are uneducated people

Getting a tattoo is a bad idea.

This scene from Breaking Bad
youtube.com/watch?v=CUuHdACg83E

Yesterday on Jow Forums there was a thread in which someone asked people for their reason to continue. And some user responded "gf" and another user said that it wasn't wise to ever put the will to live into another person.
I think that is one of the best pieces of advice that I heard in a while.

Lyrics in a song called Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughs by funkadelic. Think about it all the time since I’ve heard it

Attached: D302DC64-7F21-4234-AC3B-2DA2DF90F3D4.jpg (1152x676, 180K)

welp, that depends.

If going into debt your entire life to the point where you cdan't afford anything but paying off your debt is worth an education...

The person who cares about you most is you.
~dad

Rational agents maximize their expected reward. ~cs teacher

>What's the best piece of advice you've ever been given?
The best thing that you can do for a person in a deep dark horrible shitty place is to listen to them. Don't throw advice at them like all of the faggots here. Sit down, open your ears and your heart, and show them that you are listening with intention. Make them feel heard.

That's the difference between sympathy and empathy.

Attached: 1532474401693.jpg (479x376, 32K)