Is possible to start to self learn piano at 30?

Is possible to start to self learn piano at 30?

How many hours should I practice every day?

How long should It take before I learn enough music theory to make music for videogames?

Attached: 1520995436142.jpg (658x613, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aasGHntEio4
youtube.com/watch?v=Hrr3dp7zRQY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anything is possible. Do the research yourself. Why not take lessons?

Yeah it just wont come to you as easy as it would a child but even a child has difficulty learning if they arent talented.

It is super possible. I learned to play "okay" (you know, where people will tell you "Wow, that sounds great!" when in reality it's some pretty basic stuff) after a couple of months of practicing while I was writing my thesis.

I recommend doing improv piano to keep it fun and keep the music theory to a minimum. Just learn some scales and chords and jam it up. There's a great youtube channel for learning on this: improvpianotips or something like that.

Good luck!

Of course it is you fucking idiot. You can do anything. Kawabata Makoto released this album at age 32.
youtube.com/watch?v=aasGHntEio4

Sure you can. Research some hand exercises, though, because you're gonna need to be very agile with your fingers.

>How long should It take before I learn enough music theory to make music for videogames?
Theory helps, but it's not a strict necessity to start composing, especially these days, so don't worry too much about it. It's all about a good ear. I know very little theory and I've made a lot of music.

you can learn piano if you want to, a lot of people have this misconception that you need some magical inborn talent to learn instruments. practice as much as you want as long as you feel satisfied with the progress you're making.

Ignore this person.

Im a music teacher. Played for 20 years. Taught for 10.

Some adults can learn piano faster because they understand concepts children dont and also have a knowledge of music that children dont.

Also adults can have much more discipline than children.

You will grasp the concept of music much more easily, however when it comes to technique and manual dexterity it will be a much more difficult job. Dedicate as much of your practice time as possible to a) instrumental technique and b) to musical feeling, i.e. clap and sing rhythms, scales, arpeggios etc. as well as working on sound i.e. attack differences. How many hours you should practice is entirely dependent on how good you want to get and how talented you are, you should probably practice instrumental technique 30-60 minutes per day, and doing musical training (which can be done without instrument) an additional 30-60 minutes per day at an absolute minimum.

Pick the instrument and learn what you love, at your own pace. A teacher would be helpful. Listen to songs more and closely. Imo it's about feeling the instrument and maturity makes it easier. Practice daily and push yourself but don't make it a burden. I started an hour a day and now practice for 2-3 and just have fun with the instrument.
Also once you get the basics try playing a song in different keys and tempo. It helps a lot amd keeps things interesting, bonus you understand relative pitch better and faster

post-mortem youtube sensation Ryo Fukui starting to teach himself piano at the age of 22. Keep in mind too this was in the 70s where shit like online tutorials and apps for your smartphone didn't exist. He released his debut album 6 years later.

youtube.com/watch?v=Hrr3dp7zRQY

If making music with vidya is your main goal, just get into DAW. Most studious won't bother with actual instruments.

That's just not true, not unless you're looking to become a bedroom dubstep producer or whatever.

Hell, even if you are, all your synths and everything can be input by midi keyboard and if you're able to just play your melody directly it saves you the time and headache of painstakingly clicking every note.

DAWs are used for much more than kiddies producing generic wub stuff. It's simply more time and cost efficient. Unless the studio is really serious about it (and most just aren't nor couldn't even afford to be), they aren't going to hire a mini orchestra or even a band.

Though you being able to use a midi keyboard and generally having experience with a real instrument and some understanding of music theory is a huge pro obviously.

I don't think that OP was wanting to learn how to play an entire orchestra to himself, just the piano.

Learning the piano IS essential to becoming a good music producer, even if you're just making 30 second loops for a free to play mobile game.

and yes, obviously learning music production in DAW is essential to becoming a music producer, but it doesn't completely replace all instruments it just goes hand in hand with them.

>I don't think that OP was wanting to learn how to play an entire orchestra to himself, just the piano.
Might be misunderstanding on my part but sounded like he had a pretty self-sufficient role in mind and not considering that just being able to know how to play the piano barely moves him a step closer to that end goal.

>obviously learning music production in DAW is essential to becoming a music producer, but it doesn't completely replace all instruments it just goes hand in hand with them.
As someone proficient with DAWs he'd be able to work on small projects already without even touching a midi keyboard. I don't have any first hand experience with vidya but know people who worked on low budget TV shows quite well, and most have a musical education that's barely above your average person.

If he were more serious about it, sure there would be no way to skip learning the piano. Besides, it's a pretty great skill to have either way. Just not sure whether it should be the first step if his main priority is vidya music.

Well a lot of indie game people are coders and graphic artists AND sound designers and music producers and everything else all at once - so on the low end of the totem pole you can also get by with a minimal amount of knowledge and experience as an audio guy for video games.

If he wants to go up the ranks and eventually be on the level of people like Koji Kondo or Mick Gordon or Motoi Sakuraba then he does need piano and music theory.

He also needs to learn how to use a DAW, one doesn't completely replace the other. At least starting with the piano and music theory that'll save him countless hours of plucking around with trial and error on trying to make something sound good.

But also from my experience, learning to play the piano and music theory is actually somewhat of a pain in the ass. On the other hand, experimenting with sound design or just exploring a DAW's functions is a lot more relaxing and feels like a video game at times. So learning a bit of both at the same time wouldn't be a bad idea either.

>being good at sound design
>not knowing anything about music theory, acoustics and signal processing
Pick exactly one, there's a reason 99% of video game and film music is complete garbage and it's because most of it are made by people that are functionally uneducated in music and sound. Likely a symptom of jazz music's dominance of the latter 20th century.

Attached: Curtis Roads 2016.jpg (300x432, 17K)

You not liking it is irrelevant if the goal is to get the stuff into vidya and film.

I am simply advocating having respect for the craft and taking a more immersive and rewarding path. Why choose to half-ass it?

Because in the end it's about what the person wants. I doubt Hans Zimmer gives too many fucks about purists not liking his stuff, and if OP just wants to make music for vidya instead of advancing the mediocre quality of it; why the fuck not.

But why is it either-or? If you actually know what you're doing it will help you produce better results far more efficiently. There is also no reason you can't produce while learning, in fact producing while learning is the most efficient way to learn. This knee-jerk resistance to properly learning music or seeing it as a barrier somehow is so bizarre to me.

Depending on the approach it can be pretty frustrating and a too high learning curve too demotivating. Besides, it's not like OP showed too much initiative by asking this shit instead of just fucking starting as most people with ambition for greatness would do. But sure, on a factual level you're right, it's not an either-or situation at all.

This is going to sound needlessly convoluted but this user is not me, my last post in this thread was this he decided to jump in the thread and I actually agree with him

What you're saying in your post
>If you actually know what you're doing it will help you produce better results far more efficiently. There is also no reason you can't produce while learning, in fact producing while learning is the most efficient way to learn

I also agree with. I don't see what I said in my original post that sounds like advocating a "knee-jerk resistance to properly learning music" or being "functionally uneducated in music and sound" like you said in your first reply All I said is that he should learn the piano and music theory as well as learning how to use a DAW.

i dont think piano is very hard my man you can do it
went to piano class this one cutie liekd me i never did anything hahaha just fucking kill me

>experimenting with sound design or just exploring a DAW's functions is a lot more relaxing and feels like a video game at times
>from my experience, learning to play the piano and music theory is actually somewhat of a pain in the ass
This is what I take issue with, it portends as if using a DAW is separate from learning an instrument or music and more like a toy. This is an inefficient, non-immersive and ultimately not very rewarding way to approach it.

Get a teacher.

t. untrained in music
>jazz music's dominance
>latter 20th century
AND untrained in history

It is a fact that jazz has entirely dominated musical culture from ca. the end of the second world war to this very day.

And sorry kid, film and video game music and sound is largely trash with little to no thought put into it. If you actually read about what most of them actually do they're mostly just mucking about in the studio and often implementing complex, hugely expensive rigs in order to produce very simple results. I guess they are being creative and having quite a bit of fun, but it's neither economical nor especially cognizant.

Attached: 1536785958014.png (468x508, 197K)

>using a DAW is separate from learning an instrument

It is.

>and more like a toy. This is an inefficient, non-immersive and ultimately not very rewarding way to approach it.

How is it not rewarding to have fun with the DAW?

I just said it was my experience. Sitting at the piano and looking at sheet music and just practising scales was a very 'dry' experience, but exploring the DAW and collecting different kinds of VSTs and playing around with them was fun. One of the best ways to learn is to learn while having fun.

>It is a fact that jazz has entirely dominated musical culture from ca. the end of the second world war to this very day.

love listening to all those great jazz artists like Kanye West and Drake

>It is.
It's not, a DAW is simply a digital instrument with an accompanying simplified score editor.
I just said it was my experience. Sitting at the piano and looking at sheet music and just practising scales was a very 'dry' experience, but exploring the DAW and collecting different kinds of VSTs and playing around with them was fun. One of the best ways to learn is to learn while having fun.
This is poor learning, sustainable, robust confidence-boosting activity demands concentrated effort and a systematic approach. A casual approach is likely to go nowhere or lead to burnout.

>It is a fact that jazz has entirely dominated musical culture from ca. the end of the second world war to this very day.
Jazz was more mainstream pre-WW2, you damned moron. Stop vomiting your ignorance all over this thread. You don't know the first thing about what you're talking about.

>a DAW is simply a digital instrument with an accompanying simplified score editor.

It's not. DAW means Digital Audio Workstation - it's software used for recording, editing or production of audio files. It may or may not have digital instruments.

>This is poor learning, sustainable, robust confidence-boosting activity demands concentrated effort and a systematic approach. A casual approach is likely to go nowhere or lead to burnout.

Got it, no fun allowed.

You sound like a real professional, posting here on this vietnamese cave-painting forum and complaining that 99% of music is shit and only you know how to do music.

>Sitting at the piano and looking at sheet music and just practising scales
>looking at sheet music
>for scales
?????

so sort of reading a post in this thread
yes i do recommend findin a teacher person, its much easier they provide tunes for you to practice, know their shit
might ´meet a womanoid you do not interact with like i did

Sorry,

>Sitting at the piano, and looking at sheet music, and just practising scales

All of that is jazz.
Real fun is mastery and comprehension. And a DAW is indeed an instrument, much like an orchestra or the pen.

>And a DAW is indeed an instrument, much like an orchestra or the pen.

pic related

>All of that is jazz.

Explain to us why you think that Kanye West is a Jazz artist

Attached: moving that goalpost.jpg (225x225, 8K)

>this guy's comments
What an idiot.

just practice doing keys. learn what notes are in a key like D# key would be D, D#, A, A# play those notes and it will make a little melody

learn like 3 or 4 of those and kinda practice chords like 1, 3, 5