Atheism

Atheism

I was born in an orthodox Christian family
I had a great childhood, I enjoyed every second jn the church and I love the byzantine, Greek, Russian and Arabic chants and I'm really into orthodox culture in general
After years of being open to other beliefs and getting into philosophy and science
I'm now kinda convinced that religion is bullshit and God is a lie but I still have a deep connection to orthodox Christianity
Hearing one of the Chants I used to hear when I was kid is enough to make want to believe in God and be a Christian
Being from the Greek orthodox church was a big part of my identity and I was so proud to be part of a church with a long history and great culture

Throwing all this in the garbage is kinda hard thing to do
How can I just move on anons?
I'm 23 btw

Attached: 1552946067150.jpg (1600x1509, 245K)

If you still want to be christian, just study Thomas Aquinas and Augustine.

What convinced you God is a lie? He is very much real

Go ahead and not believe in god while still doing the church stuff you enjoy. Not like the priest is going to pull out his belief sensor and realize you are a heretic and burn you at the stake or anything.

Actually you should probably talk to your priest about this instead of us.

Keep practicing, I’m an atheist and I wish I had a spiritual connection to something.

>Aquinas
Now that's a melting pot of logical inconsistencies
What proof can you offer?
Get a hobby in art, you'll have a higher quality spiritual connection than any deluded theist

Hi user! Put your Christian beliefs aside for a few moments and enter the world of Abiogenesis, particle physics, and the origin of reality as we know it. Anything discovered (which, I highly doubt will be), that precipitates ‘before’ the big bang (oxymoron, time wasn’t a concept at this point) will simply raise more questions than answers. I became an atheist as a teenager/young adult, but as I seriously delved into these topics, I mean really trying to understand it, I only came back to the idea that some higher power must have at least began moving the gears. Eventually, I rediscovered my faith. There’s a whole lotta philosophy and theological thinking behind why I chose Christ, and ot say, an eastern religion. I think what you describe is the Holy Spirit trying to keep you guided.

Just be an agnostic Christian.
Whether the Christian God exists matters not, what matters is that you know the world is a better place when you act like he does and support that belief.

Thanks user I appreciate it.

I tried it didn't feel right for me but I think I could read more in Christianity and Christian philosophers maybe that will bring back some faith
Thx.

If by god you mean something that isn't god then yes
"god is hope"
yeah, hope is real
"god is life"
yeah, life is real
"god is hope, and life, at once"
well, "hope" is essential for "life", so in that sense "god" is "hope and life" at once
etc, etc...

god as an explanation for the big bang is useless.
if god can come from nothing why can't the universe. the mystery is still there in both cases.
every religious person who takes the gnostic, materialist route is missing the point.

I didn't fully realize that he's a lie
Nobody even scientists till this day can say what exactly is the origin of life
I still think that there is a chance a God exists and it's the God I grew up believing in.
What made me doubt was the homosexuality question, the suffering in hell forever if you didn't believe in Jesus, some texts in the Bible that sounded like it's coming from a very sexist way of thinking that you expect in a time like that but not from a fair god.

>a song that give you nostalgia makes you rebelieve n a bunch of nonsense
youre just retarded

Congratulations On figuring out why most religious people stay religious.

In fact, why pretty much anybody believes anything. It's all about justifying their existence, environment and lifestyle.

You dont need to go to church everyday to go to heaven. Pic related is how to be garunteed salvation, everything else after that is by your will only.

Attached: enGeneral.gif (467x240, 22K)

John 14:15-26 KJV
15) If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16) And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17) Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18) I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
19) Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
20) At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
21) He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
22) Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
23) Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
24) He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
25) These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
26) But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 3:3-8 KJV
3) Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4) Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5) Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6) That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7) Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8) The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Read theology.

Kierkegaard in particular sold me on Christianity. I’d also recommend Eckart and Tillich.

Pascal's Pensees converted me. Try it out

Now with the word god there is nothing to which it refers, so each man can create his own image of that for which there is no reference. The theologian does it in one way, the intellectual in another, and the believer and the non-believer in their own different ways. Hope generates this belief, and then seeking. This hope is the outcome of despair - the despair of all we see around us in the world. From despair hope is born, they also are two sides of the same coin. When there is no hope there is hell, and this fear of hell gives us the vitality of hope. Then illusion begins. So the word has led us to illusion and not to god at all. God is the illusion which we worship; and the non-believer creates the illusion of another god which he worships - the State, or some utopia, or some book which he thinks contains all truth.

Epic and based