I Need to Quit This Fucking Job

My job as a teacher has me on a year-to-year contract and working about 12 hours per day and I have no intention of ever being a teacher as a career. This is not providing me with any time to look for another job and I can't stand dealing with my coworkers. Been doing this for 2 and a half years.
I'm planning to just quit after this year, whether I have another job lined up by then or not. This shit is killing me because my coworkers treat me like shit, I have a STEM degree, a wife and kid, and at least $170,000 sitting in a bank account. I want to kill myself every single day and it is 100% because of this job, yet I have no time to find something else. There's like a 50% I'll be fired ("we've decided not to renew your contract unfortunately") anyway.

I always hear about people being in hell after they lose a job. Is quitting my job like this a bad idea or not? What would you do?

Attached: 1554296846729.png (670x1193, 263K)

Quitting a job is something you should only do if you already have a new employer lined up. You have more responsibilities, like i do, so you have to think about your family too. Being selfish and whiny about a job that's unfulfilling and quitting it without having secured alternatives is not going to help feeding, housing or amusing your family.

Put yourself out on the market like xing or linkedin, see what you can find, have a few interviews, pick what feels good for you (trust your gut feeling), resign, start a new period in your life, rinse and repeat as often you feel it's necessary. Just try staying at places for at least 2 years, shows that you are willing to commitment.

The thing is because the job is on a year-to-year contract, they expect us to fulfill the whole contract and it only leaves like 3 weeks total to find a new job. On top of that, working 12 hour days doesn't give me the time or energy to find a new job or work on the skills I need to do that.

The other thing I wanted to ask:

Since I have some savings, about 5.5 years' expenses now, and we own our own home outright, is it worth staying in this job if it's not in any way at all related to the career I want to follow?

I want to work with data, in an analyst position, which is what I was educated to do and interned doing a lot in college. I know it's boring Excel spreadsheet work mostly but that's what I want to do, not this teaching thing.

Why is it better to stay in a position that's not in any way related to the career I want than to have a gap on my resume, and I could say I was programming or studying in that gap. Why is the first better?

the spacing here is fucking atrocious my bad

Teaching is NOT a job to take just as a job. It really has to be almost a religious calling.

Ordinarily, it is not a good idea to quit one job without another already lined up. But an alternative is to wait until you have at least 6 months' living expenses saved up and then quit. And then immediately take ANY job you can find - a McJob if necessary - to keep you going while you hunt for something better

I have like 6 years of living expenses saved up. My family spends a combined $2,000 per month covering ALL expenses for all 3 of us and I have $170,000 saved up and we have our house with no mortgage.

>I always hear about people being in hell after they lose a job. Is quitting my job like this a bad idea or not? What would you do?

If you're in hell now, why worry about some other form of hell?

I remember reading about some 41% of the population has just walked out of a job without on lined up before and it doesn't seem to have ruined them.

My advice is to think "reputation".
You have a stem degree, as well as experience teaching. Those are valuable in the jobs market.
Whether you like it or not, it might be worthwhile to spend the rest of your time their on good terms with your superiors for references.

If you quit without having anything lined up, make sure you at least look good enough to be re-employed. From the sounds of it, I think you can do that.

I'm in the same boat, I have a semi-dependant relative and work 40-hours a week. I hate my employer.
My managers have been amazing, best bosses I could have ever asked for - before they were sacked by a petulant little shit looking to make a name for himself. He has and it's apparently not a good name but still I can't help wondering how he and others like him managed to get so far ahead in this company in the first place. There is a bullying culture. The only reason I'm not writing up a huge report on it and leaking that to the press with as much evidence as I can (in a time where our politicians discuss the use and abuse of NDAs to protect bullies, no less) is plainly because I care about my own reputation and being a whistleblower is not good for re-employment.

Unlike you, my job is one of minimal skill, I have no higher education and this dead-end job left little room for development.

If it is an entire career change you are after, my plan is to request a reduction in hours while studying. Now I have savings I can pay for some skills development without indebting myself. I plan to get an accountancy qualification.

1/2

I took it as a job after being fired for my last one and I've been doing it for 2.5 years and it's bad.

2/2

Another note I would like to make is that the job itself does not matter, not so much as the company culture and who you are working for.

For me, lifting 20kg dining sets out of a trailer in the freezing cold was the best job of my life, when these managers were still employed here. I'd have never thought to leave.

Now they are gone, I realise all hard work goes to making petulant shit look good. I do not want that. The replacement managers are inept and do not have experience, the ones that do avoid work at all costs. The job is now hell.

I need to find my old folder, with my qualifications in it. I haven't touched it in the eight years I've been here and alot of documents have piled up so progress is slow and I honestly think I can't do another full week here.

Mate, if a job is making you suicidal, quitting really can't make that worse. Just try to go about it the right way and mitigate damage.

The thing is that to leave on good terms means waiting until the end of December at least (this isn't in the USA, though I'm a US citizen). I have no interest in being a teacher as a career. In my 2 hour commute every day I have thought very carefully about this for over 2 years now. It's not for me. This isn't what I want to be and I'm not cut out to be a teacher. I like playing with data, writing macros or code when necessary, and working with numbers. I'm not a social person really, besides with people I can talk to in the office.
>request less hours
I would but it's teaching so that wouldn't work, really.
I want to leave on good terms, but that means waiting until the end of December. There is no "2 weeks" here. So I will try to do that but if they ask me to resign I don't think I can bring myself to do it. If I resign and then leave right away I'm on bad terms with them again. But if I just leave gracefully, I'll be unemployed but a decent reputation with them I guess.

I should mention I was unemployed for like 6 months before taking this as a job "just because" and despite that I was much, much happier just sitting at home writing cover letters and trying to learn more about programming and money in my spare time. It was so much nicer.

While the employer policy might not have the traditional "2 weeks", it's still worthwhile to give an advance notice.

Talk to your superior about how you are feeling. Let them know that it might be a case where you cannot hold out until December.
It's not like it can be any more damaging than leaving "gracefully" without any heads up whatsoever. you would be at the very least letting them know that they'll need a replacement.

Secondly, "good terms" is open to interpretation. I'm on good terms with my managers, but ultimately I loathe the company we work for and if asked I would honestly tell criminals to take another crack at being a criminal before working for this company.

I have spoken to some of my superiors to be references for me and they've kindly agreed. However I have not requested an official reference from the company, and won't do that until I know how I will be leaving (if I give any official notice of leave, for example).

I'd imagine that your employer has a hierarchy still, and that your boss isn't the head of the business. It might very well be that your boss completely understands your position, or has been in it before even, and will help you out if they like you.

And that is why it is worth talking to them.

If you were happier then, and you have savings, you know damn well how quitting might play out,

Like another said, it's worth putting a resume on an employment site just to see where you get.
You have experience and qualifications, and while you might not want to teach per-se, should you find yourself in a field you do like - that experience teaching could mean an employer will see that you could be a valuable asset in training new employees in your field.

Take it from someone who has nowhere near the amount of employability you have, you honestly look good enough to hire. Even if you do have gaps.

Let me explain how they do it here. In November they line all the staff up in a big line and call us into a room one by one. We sit down, they say "fired" or "hired" and you walk out. About 30% get fired. This is not in the USA. Anyone who was "hired" has the option to accept or deny. Since we are all on one-year-contracts this is done to ALL teachers every year.

I'm willing to wait until the end of December to leave this job. My only concern with that is that staying in this position will kill any chance I have at a real career. My boss is a teacher. Sure I could tell her that I don't like it here, but there's nothing she can really do. There's standard procedure if I violate the contract, etc., but nobody really cares. I don't want them to think I'm leaving. I want them to "hire" me again so I have that option, but I'm considering quitting regardless. There's a solid 50% chance I end up on the "fired" list anyway.

I appreciate the advice though, I really do. And I'll probably follow what you say. It's nice to hear anyway. I wish you the best of luck too.

It honestly sounds like they did the "fired" guys a favour.

What third world fuck-hole you in, mate?

Ditching that place, and that employer won't render you with a dead-career and make you un-employable.
From the sounds of it, like amazon, and like my company, that's just one report in the media away from struggling to hire people in the first place (for the record, my place is so desperate, they now hire people who cannot speak the language despite the blatant health and safety risk that comes with - given that they are expected to operate machinery and trainers struggle to communicate with them). Though, I also believe they want to reduce the likelihood of whistleblowing so hiring those who struggle to communicate is advantageous in a malicious standpoint however when it does happen (and it will) it will make it look more like they've actively tried to cover up bullying.

And just like Amazon, nobody in their right mind would blame any employee for quitting on the spot from that shithole.

These companies don't think "reputation", and it is inevitable that quitting on the spot will not damage any of their employees reputations once their behaviour is common knowledge.

>My boss is a teacher. Sure I could tell her that I don't like it here, but there's nothing she can really do

She could still be a reference for you.

Yeah I want her to be. What I mean is that telling her I don't like it here wouldn't accomplish anything at all. Waiting until the day when we get the "fire" or "hire" notices and gracefully quitting would be better. That's what I want to do. My concern was whether this is suicidal or not for a career in a different field.

It's a small school but there were a few big things that happened that showed the management was really fucked up. I don't want to say because then it would be very obvious what school it is but you're kind of right.

at least 170k in bank account and STEM degree. WTF are you doing user? Just quit that job and leave that shit hole. You have nothing to loose

It's not suicidal.
Imagine, 5 years down the line, whether you'r in a field you like or not, do you really think this huge thing now will matter then.

Plenty of people have done it, and survived.
It only seems like doom and gloom now because you're too close to the action. Step back and take a detached look at things and you'll realise it won't be the end to quit.

Alright I'm gonna go for it. I can put up with their shit for another year knowing I'm going to do this.