Open carry

i’m 20/f and considering purchasing a handgun at 21 to protect myself

i was always against owning guns because i have severe depression and substance abuse problems, but last night a woman was robbed, raped, and held at gunpoint on the street i live on and park behind frequently

i now have mace and a small taser but i’m still scared.

is purchasing a handgun to protect myself a bad idea if i have mental illnesses? i personally think yes but at the same time i don’t want to get raped

‘murica

Attached: A5387A96-944F-41D9-AA4B-BFE753C5E163.jpg (1024x1014, 151K)

The majority of gun deaths in America are suicides, which is a detail liberals frequently leave out when talking about gun "violence". However, probably relevant to your case. If you have actively considered suicide in the past year or two I'd steer clear.

A gun won't protect you. Someone more skilled than you would steal it and rape you at gun point. The only thing you would do is scare the piss out of some scary looking innocents. Just move away. Even if you have to leave shit behind.

Get a gun but no bullets, might scare ’em off at least

This is actually a good idea. OP, have you considered not living in a shithole where people get raped at gunpoint?

No they don't, that's what the propaganda tells you. Most liberals just don't know how to use a gun or why it's useful.

At least get some blanks so you can make noise

it’s not a shithole exactly it’s a campus community mixed with someone shitty
regulars. to be more specific it’s the ohio state university

i unfortunately can’t move away due to the fact of that my friends have a two year lease on their house

ignore the “of” there

this is actually a good idea. showing the perpetrator my gun and shooting off blanks would scare him off i assume

You could sublet/find someone else to take over your portion of the lease. Or get a car if you can afford one.

>held at gunpoint
you also having a gun wouldn't change that. Someone who quite literally makes their living out of robbing people at gunpoint is quicker and more experience than a nervous lady who bought her gun last week or a 300 lbs keyboard warrior who fantasizes about shooting muslims all day long.

Non-American here, and it's still pretty pitiful. Guns are a tool and the purpose of the tool is to kill as efficiently and with as little effort as possible. If you go through a break-up or lose your job or whatever or you're just bummed out overall - by the time you google how to tie a noose and set everything up and bought the right kind of rope from home depot you've got enough time to change your minds. Same if you swallow a bunch of pills or whatever you can make yourself throw up, etc.

Killing yourself with a gun is as easy as squeezing a trigger, literally. There is no "oh whoops" moment between you pulling the trigger and the bullet going through your brains, nor can you be like "oh man what was I thinking?" and try to pick the bullet out of skull with some tweezers"

and you know that's on top of all the daily regular shootings and weekly mass shootings.

Or he would just shoot you dead or severely wound you by the time you try to unholster it.

It's a retarded idea. If you want a gun, be prepared to use it.
Gun shops literally offer classes to people on gun safety and proper gun use. Take them, be informed, be prepared, be a responsible gun owner.
>Someone who quite literally makes their living out of robbing people at gunpoint is quicker and more experience
No. Stick-up artists are usually the same type of dumbass who thinks shooting a gun-sideways is cool.
Which is why packing blacks is a retarded idea.

this is why i would get proper gun training beforehand. my dad is a police officer (aka open range for me to use) and i used to major in criminology/forensics so i would definitely make sure i could use it effectively and efficiently

>No. Stick-up artists are usually the same type of dumbass who thinks shooting a gun-sideways is cool.
bruh sideways gun or not, if someone sneaks up on you with their gun pointed at you ready to shoot to kill, you're not gonna Keanu Reeves some gun-fu shit and disarm them.

You're not going to unholster your gun, turn the safety off, aim it, take a breath, and then shoot or threaten to shoot someone who already has their gun pointed at you. They're already like 5 steps ahead of you. Like it was said in another post, that shit only happens in action movies.

>but last night a woman was robbed, raped, and held at gunpoint on the street i live on and park behind frequently
That's terrible.
Something bad happened right outside my door too. That kind of thing fucks with you.

They're not going to keep their gun pointed at you at all times retard.
Citizen arrests are a thing.

>They're not going to keep their gun pointed at you at all times retard.
alright well have fun with your Steven Seagal power fantasy

don't know your entire history or what state you live in, but at a minimum you'll be lying on a federal government document (ATF forms) when you buy a gun due to your substance abuse problems.

If you get arrested later for a drug possession charges with firearm, you're going to face serious time. What could have been a chance at rehab and therapy for just possessing drugs, you'll now get years in prison. Prosecutors will probably claim you are a dealer cause of the gun and just weren't caught with all your supplies.

Your state may also flag your purchase if you're prohibited due to your mental illness past, which may get you a knock at the door by cops with a search warrant.

Get out of that hell hole where you live, get some mental help, and get off the drugs. Best of luck user.

thanks for replying user. i currently only smoke weed which is only a misdemeanor ticket in my state of ohio. since i haven’t been to a mental hospital since i was a juvenile, i’m assuming that the gov. currently isn’t aware that i have any mental issues

>i currently only smoke weed which is only a misdemeanor ticket in my state of ohio.

Possessing a firearm and drugs is a first degree misdemeanor in Ohio, not a ticket. Not to mention the federal and state laws prohibiting illegally acquiring and purchasing a firearm.

If you've gotten a ticket for weed in the past it's reported to NCIC and NICS. So there is a very high chance when you lie on the federal ATF purchase form, your NICS check will be delayed or denied. Then there is also a very good chance you'll get a knock at your door later by ATF, FBI, HSI, DEA or your local law enforcement (sheriff, city police, or some joint task force). That's assuming they don't drop by the gun store while you're still waiting.

Prosecutors and law enforcement, who don't live in the same neighborhood, aren't going to care about your circumstances why you want a gun if it means they can further their career by prosecuting you.

Then you run the risk of family and who know your mental history report to law enforcement if they discover you have a gun. Cops tend to be hyper-vigilant around mentally ill people. Also around people who people who possess weed and a gun underneath their seat; Philando Castile being a good example that having a concealed carry license doesn't matter to a cop when you have weed.

Lastly, you're asking random people for advice about your own hesitations. That should be a good reason to, at a minimum, put it off for a while.

>robbed and raped at gunpoint
That's why you train to run in all your shoes, carry an empty wallet to throw in an opposite direction, or look and act more shady/terrifying than they would care to intimidate.
If you are petite, get swole.

Situational awareness is 9/10ths of not getting raped. Be aware of who is around you, rapists don't like victims that pay attention. Mace probably won't do shit, but pepper gel is the best self defense option that isn't a gun. Since you actively smoke weed, you'll be committing a felony if you purchase a firearm and fill out the 4473, that said a lot of people who smoke weed also purchase guns. Do with that information what you will. But,
legally, you'd be in the wrong. Despite all the faggots and non humans in here, a firearm is pretty damn good self defense for CC and excellent for home defense. If you let someone get close enough to take the gun from you, you've already failed in being aware of who is around you.
Onto the suicide bit, that's tough. You are much more likely to kill yourself using your firearm, so you'd be playing with fire. But, you're an adult and that's your choice to make. Suicide is a personal choice and a right.

Oh, and open carry is a shit idea. Advertising you have a gun is fucking retarded and encourages confrontation. CCW permit or bust