Is rifle caliber ballistic plate really necessary?

Since most casualties in war were done by arty. Wouldn't flak vests be the best bang for the buck? for military industry.

Attached: 7890fde5e2fb5649cec6dbd38413d159.jpg (1970x1200, 885K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6JwlzR5nPFw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

machineguns also cause a significant fraction of casualties, and those are often full rifle caliber.

fpbp

This. And also because this isn't WW2 anymore. In the modern assymetrical warafre aside from IEDs most casualties are caused by rifles since insurgents aren't likely to have artillery or CAS.

Attached: 1523399085571.png (417x563, 430K)

Don't ballistic plates also stop shrapnel?

It's not really necessary to take a step back now. Plates have gotten pretty advanced and are lightweight for the protection. You might not have this happen until somebody makes a caliber that can't be stopped by a plate without it getting cumbersome then we might go back to flak vest. Similar thing happened with plate armor and firearms after all.

Yes.

following your reasoning:
considering 71 percent of the earth's surface is water-covered, wouldn't a life vest be more useful.

Attached: life-vest.jpg (437x437, 27K)

most casualties are caused by rucking too much weight

I know this is off topic, but what japanese magazine are those pictures from. It isn't the first time I've seen them

African militia, truly ahead of its time.

Attached: 1498100650582[1].png (601x404, 343K)

Durkas don't really do artillery.

There are studies that show that in modern warfare (post 90s or so) majority of fatalities come from wounds to limbs or head instead of torso thanks to body armour. I'll have to try to find the study.

Yes, but they only cover a small area compared to flak vests.

>Flak will protect you from shrapnel & small arms but is heavy and bulky
>SAPIs will protect you from small arms and little vs shrapnel but is light and manoeuvrable

Overall, yes the majority of casualties in conventional war are inflicted by artillery. However, a large part of the reason for that is that artillery reaches well behind the front lines (interdicting troops moving up and hitting the enemy rear echelon) while bullets are mostly only an issue at under a mile from the enemy. I would expect full-weight ballistic plates to only be comprehensively issued to front line troops (especially those in an offensive role) in a conventional war with clear front lines.

>Zerg 2.0

why don't they just not get hit lol

bump

There is no body armor you can wear that will protect you from artillery fragments.

I think it's part of the Special Operations medical studies group. I can't remember their actual name. But you're right, the number one treatable cause of battle field deaths is massive hemorrhage to the extremities. The second number one cause is tension hemothorax, though I've heard some studies now indicate this is the number one.

>most casualties in war were done by arty.
Depend on the war. Iraq 2003-2018 has plenty firearm caused casualties.

>people aren't dying that often from rifles
>let's get rid of the rifle plates
>afterall, we don't need them, since after adopting them people are getting killed and injured less and less by rifles!

user, are you pretending or actually this stupid?

are you stupid or dumb
flak protection is like the easiest thing to get out of a vest

Ironically metal plates these days can stop rifle bullets so there is no point.

>Since most casualties in war were done by arty. Wouldn't flak vests be the best bang for the buck? for military industry

that why you wear lvl 3 Kevlar under your plates op

>>Flak will protect you from shrapnel & small arms
>small arms
no
youtube.com/watch?v=6JwlzR5nPFw