Sickle and scythe

Does anyone know the advantages of a sickle or scythe assault weapon? I understand that they corral a straight blade away from your body, but I want to know why ancient people favored them.

Can’t find any links or sauce on this, really.

Attached: 2761E731-78FE-493A-B6C8-4B5059C572D1.jpg (1024x1024, 213K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagger-axe
youtube.com/watch?v=sCVb7iuVx5Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They didn't favor them. It was a weapon of convenience, a readily accessible tool they already had on hand.

Also, before anyone comments on the “assault” bit... that was a joke making fun of Tide Pod Hogg.

So, threshing was the only reason they had them?

The war scythes blade was not at 90 degrees but straight op

you killed a thread for this

Attached: 1521636632627s.jpg (124x125, 3K)

I asked a question, asshole.

>oh, no someone isn’t as smart as the fucking asshole that probably has no information

Yes, a question was asked in a thread, fucktard. Go back to another site where the cocks flow into your mouth.

put hammer on it and it'll kill millions of people

>Does anyone know the advantages of a sickle or scythe assault weapon?
The advantages are that it's something long you can poke assholes in horses with. Do you think farmers could afford real weapons? Pfft.

That has been established ITT, but other cultures chose them. That is my question.

Read the thread before you respond with female mouth spouts.

>but other cultures chose them
Name three.

Commies, Reapers, and Scythians

Do you mean sickles and scythes specifically or just inward-curving knives in general?

Sickles and scythes were mainly improvised weapons that were grabbed by peasants because it was the closest thing they had. Your normal farming scythe or sickle isn't that great, but like many other farming tools, they became more and more weaponized to the point where they became fully fledged weapons in their own right.

Attached: P1150970.jpg (1200x1600, 201K)

Polaks used scythes during some rebellions. As I imagine did other peasants. I can't recall many ancient peoples that favored them. The Thracians and Dacians (and Romans, apparently chiefly among their naval marines) did employ the falx but that's not a grim-reaper scythe. It's just a slashy boy with a forward curve, which I believe has some properties that lend itself to partcularly brutal cutting as evidenced by the falx/falcata/kopis/machiara/kukuri/Shotel/ect.

Attached: DSC07155.jpg (3264x2448, 1.99M)

If only there was a thread where people could ask questions? Hmm.

they look cool on my fury warrior.

uba-buba : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosynierzy

Correct. When at all possible, they would actually reforge the blades to make them into a weapon

>yfw chinese micropenis scythey boy has killed 10 times as many people as your favorite obscure halberd

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagger-axe

note its the first chinese military weapon *NOT* used for hunting or agriculture

A sickle or scythe as you imagine it honestly isn't a good weapon at all. It has one edge and it faces you. It's effective only at a very specific distance, and the blade doesn't really carry the weight to cut deep into anything fleshy. Your best bet would be to modify it into sort of a spear.

>assault weapon
Media buzzword that keeps getting shoved into laws by assholes, there's nothing assault about any weapon until it is used in an assault.

So stop using it.

Anyway if a sythe is used as a weapon it's cause there's nothing better (such as a spear or poleaxe) around. And to use it most effectively as one you have to mount the blade so that it's in line with the handle.

>oes anyone know the advantages of a sickle or scythe assault weapon?
they're available to old world farmers and easily convertible into a real weapon, similar to a spear or halberd, by readjusting how the blade is attached to the handle.

lol buttblasted brainlet spotted

Attached: Mair_scythe_01.jpg (2803x2407, 2.31M)

Attached: Mair_scythe_04.jpg (2658x2139, 1.62M)

Underrated

it's a farming tool.

The guy on the left looks like an actor but I can't remember who.

Attached: >tfw cactus flail.jpg (635x581, 46K)

Probably the clumsiest bladed weapons I own. Keep meaning to get a new snath for this one, but keep putting it off.

Attached: Scythe1.jpg (576x1024, 51K)

The other one.

Attached: Scythe2.jpg (750x1000, 280K)

>farming tool unless battle scythe design
>easy as fuck to use with a basic level of effectiveness
>super effective VS unarmored and lightly armored targets
So simple even skallagrim can use one to surprising effect
youtube.com/watch?v=sCVb7iuVx5Y

There is literally a thread for this stupid shit. Gtfo of my board