Wrist mounted flashlight

So Jow Forums I was watching Star Trek and I realized that in Voyager they used wrist mounted flashlights.

See:
imgur.com/a/nwoyu

So I started thinking are wrist mounted flashlights smart or stupid?
And the more i think about it they are smart.
You can hold other things in your hand (like a gun; and they do it in ST).

What do you think?
And why is everyone not using these flashlights?

PS:
Star Trek calls this
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/SIMs_beacon

Attached: 0.png (998x1236, 1.51M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hebHUGjmcvc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

honestly, as retarded as they look and sound, it does free up a hand for use, especially in a non-defensive scenario such as camping or hiking.

however, proper usage of a flashlight, especially in a defensive scenario isn't necessarily an "always on" kind of deal, so in that case it'll blow cock.

overall, 7/10 usefulness, but only for power outages, outdoors, etc.

Yeah, because holding your hand straight out in front of you is a much better solution than your hands being naturally at your sides. Haha, i cant believe no one has done this before now :^)

I was thinking in situations like this.
Holding a gun and flashlight at the same time.

Attached: Randi-Flash-Light-2.jpg (2369x1579, 1.57M)

Not that a lot of things in ST are not retarded (I write notes on the stupid ideas in ST).

However while you hold a flashlight you already need to stretch out your arm.
Unless you are holding something like a lantern+floodlight.

Dumb
Get a headlight if you need free hands
Or attach something to your weapon

Attached: BFDCB142-1201-4778-9CD5-A36CF81CFD12.jpg (750x540, 143K)

No you dont. Hokd your hand at your hip with your thumb pointed forward. Hey, you now have your flashlight pointed direcrly where you're walking with the beam low enough to not blind anyone walkkng towards you. What happens when you do the same thing with a wrist light? Oh, you shine it onn your own feet. Super useful.

literaly a hothead

It's pretty old as fuck thing, from the times when illumination devices were still big and bulky.

Attached: 1505723719500.jpg (911x1221, 367K)

Oh yeah? What if you need to use your head for another purpose than just a flashlight?

>old as fuck
I was not surprised.
The idea of strapping a flashlight to your hand must have occurred to someone.

Can you tell me more about it?
Why its not ubiquitous today?
Etc?

I'm actually interested.

PS: I know that shit loads of technologies are ignored by normies and not talked about in the media before some deushbag says he has invented it (actually copied and made a inferior version) and the media wets itself how revolutionary this idea is see Tablets (iPad) and how apple "invented it".

I'm sure you do, tinkerbell.

Of course this looks like a better solution.
Have you walked with a headlight personally?

Because I see one problem you apparently need to be ultra careful where you look.
If you are walking with someone else and you turn around to look at them you can flash them in the face.

With something in your hand or strapped to it.
You seam to have a little control.

I like to explore this subject, I'm only brainstorming on Jow Forums

Attached: foto_01-02_12-2017.jpg (666x350, 105K)

I'd imagine it's not ubiquitous today because weaponlights also require no hands and are even less annoying when not in use, and because a flashlight held in the hand can be turned on or off with the same hand that's holding it

Is he even old enough to hold his own cock

You know you triggered my inner engineer now.

I remember a episode of 90s spider-man where he explained that his shooters require him to press button where they are slightly below the point where you normally would press if holding something in your hands.

I was intrigued by the idea and there appears to be a point where you can bend your fingers and would not normally be presses if you hold something in your hand.

Can a mechanism like this be made?
Another idea(if the spider-man explanation was bullshit) is if the switch is on the same hand the flashlight is to have the turn of switch be located on your pinky finger like a ring.

You deactivate the flashlight by pressing your thumb on a part of the piney finger that is not normally accessible/used in any other position.

The more i think about it having a gigantic button on the sides is another solution.
Simply bump the side of your hand into your leg to deactivate or activate the flashlight.

What do you think abut this?

Attached: ring trigger.png (694x925, 85K)

Attached: fingers pointer.jpg (1024x732, 221K)

What am I looking at?

File name says it's a 'fingers pointer'. Hm.

Things to attach a light to-
Firearm
Chest
Vehicles
Helmet

Have all of them and use each one as necessary. And some fucking chemlights too god dammit.

>Chest
>Helmet

Serious question.
Are there no downsides to using lights on these places see:

>not having lights on your head or on your chest
>everythings a constant gunfight and there is never hours of stacking equipment and manual labor
.... Right. I like how you completely omitted the
>Have all of them and use each one as necessary.
part.

???
What are you on?

I'm only asking for the downsides and pluses of every flashlight model.

Why is everyone on Jow Forums in constant attack mode? I only want a civil discussion with facts.

I don't think you know what >implying means user.

Pluses- they are lights. Have more than one.
Minus's- They are physical matter that has weight and can get in your way. Every person is different there is no uniform to preference.

I'm sorry you were hurt by blunt insultless words.

1) Don't spam chan memes in a discussion.
this includes >implying meme

2) Give a productive post
>Minus's- They are physical matter that has weight and can get in your way.
This is a quite useless post.

Don't try to act smart, I'm only trying not to sink to your level(I have far more colorful words and opinions I can give you).
Your tone is dismissive and unproductive.
youtu.be/hebHUGjmcvc

Not only did I not 'spam a meme' but I also delivered content and conversation. For whatever reason you disagreed so I explained my reasoning and now here we are.
Thanks for turning a Jow Forums post into a psych evaluation. I've never met a tourist so obvious.

At first i thought the dot was a reticle

>delivered content and conversation
The pluses and Minus's you provided are so obvious and trivial they border on a insult
>Minus's- They are physical matter that has weight and can get in your way.
You want me to list why this is a N/A factoid?
Or will you admit it was made to be a insult?

> For whatever reason you disagreed
> I explained my
You listed 1 (or 2) factoid that applies equally to all types of flashlights.
It literally has no distinction between the types that are in the discussion.

So you are aware of how obvious the answers are but you still made the thread.
You knew you'd have to make a preference through first hand experience but still asked knowing that all other options(head and chest being the two you >implied at) but still questioned.

Look I don't usually break down discussions like some kind of autist such as yourself; but you're being a huge cunt right now.

Literally put the lights on your body, use them for a while; and determine which if not all suit you. Again as I said in my first post-
>Have all of them and use each one as necessary. And some fucking chemlights too god dammit.

> you're being a huge cunt right now.
I stayed civil all this time even when it was hard with you.

You walked in with a negative attitude and only deteriorated.
>You knew you'd have to make a preference through first hand experience
How about this I ask other people if they used one of these things.
Apparently you can buy these flashlights I wanted to get informed.

Also this is a place to talk about stuff.

>first hand experience
I understand this however
1) What is wrong with asking others about the idea (maybe there is a huge "wrist mounted flashlight community" I don't know about) ?
2) I don't want to make a blind buy.
3) I want to know about this where they used in history?
4) I like to know what peoples experiences with them are.
5) Also thinking about the right turn of mechanism for one of these things.
6) I'm interested in what people think about them (surprised;they are stupid; its smart;I used one).

>Literally put the lights on your body
You realize that there is a difference between using duck tape to strap a normal flashlight to your hand and using something designed for this?
You realize that experience will be different?

I think I simply got you mad because I stayed civil and pointed out your own behavior.
Everyone can judge you on this.

Now going back to the discussion.

1. Use google for fucks sake
>Jow Forums - wrist mounted lights and light accessories
2. What are internet reviews
3. What is google
>Jow Forums - dumb questions search engine
4. Internet reviews
5. Probably a switch
6. Probably falls in line with what the internet reviews say
Christ, not to mention all of your posts are rampant with spelling errors, you need to work on that.

>internet reviews
You realize the reviews are specific to a product? Not the idea?
>3. What is google
I tried and found nothing.
>Internet
You realize this place is literally on the internet right?

What is wrong with asking questions here?
>rampant with spelling errors
Probable, can you point them pout?

Not everyone speaks English nativity and the writing system is fucked in the ass none-phonetic hieroglyphics most of the time.

>nativity
*natively
Fuck you auto correct spell check.

Head lamps are better.

Neat, find multiple reviews on different types of lights then.
Look harder.
Look harder.
>what's wrong with asking dumb questions
We have a qtddtot, use it.
>spelling errors
>pout
Wow.
>not everyone speaks english
>what is spell check
>what is looking up the spelling of a word
Yeah, those little red squiggly lines under a word aren't just a bit of flair.

Thanks for contributing.
I have a handful of questions
1) did you use a wrist mounted flashlight in your life?
If yes describe your experience.

2) I understand they can be better.
However
See questions in
Don't you have the risk of flashing other people who are around you?
Do you have experience with it?

>talking to someone while using a headlamp
1.) turn it off
2.) look to the side or not directly at a persons face you are talking to
3.) turn it off or use a red filter that's standard on most outdoors oriented lights
4.) tilt the head of the lamp down when you speak to someone
Super simple stuff.

>Yeah, those little red squiggly lines under a word aren't just a bit of flair.
You want to dig yourself deeper?
Because literally zero of the words I use have a red line.

For example pout (obviously the word is "out" and I pressed 2 buttons at the same time) is not red while dge5gerret is.

See picture.

Attached: red.png (618x148, 14K)

>Super simple stuff.
Most of the I knew.
The real question is are they worth the effort?

It it more work then using a traditional flashlight?
>turn it off

>2.) look to the side
Did you often use headlamps? Or do you mostly use traditional ones?

everybody at my unit makes fun of my autism lantern what do?

Attached: strix ir.jpg (355x355, 27K)

headlamp makes more sense.

Headlamps are fantastic for needing to see when your hands are occupied. Hiking, camping, working with tools. The only difference between them and a traditional flashlight is that they're affixed to your head and they free up both hands. They're less work than a traditional flashlight because now you don't have to find a creative way to prop it up and shine what you're doing or try to do a two handed job with one hand.
I use headlamps all the time hiking and camping, it's hard to get used to not looking someone directly in the face at first, but you get used to it. If you're tall enough just shine the top of the persons head when you talk to them, if they're taller than you then you look to either side of them to talk. They're great when your hiking and you need both hands to climb rocks and dont want to finger a rattlesnake.

>making an excuse for not proofreading your own posts
user, I...

man I wish someone would invent a flashlight that pointed where your head was turned

Attached: (You).png (558x614, 24K)

My vision in the night is very good, even with cloudy moon light and flash lights just hurt my eyes and give away your position. Maybe they're useful in total darkness like a cave or basement or building without windows.

Tell them they don't know Star Trek.

Great post.
Any recommendations to what are the best and what to look out for?

>, it's hard to get used to not looking someone directly in the face at first, but you get used to it
Thanks, exactly like I was predicting.

>but you get used to it.
I was suspecting this.

While keeping in mind that headlamps are better what are your thoughts on the wrist mounted flashlight from ST.

I'm curious to know.
Picture related (they started using them later).

Attached: 18991434_5.jpg (694x530, 39K)

Why are Headlamps not more popular?

petzl head lamps are pretty good, surefire makes a few that can be helmet mounted but they are overpriced, but for all around best bang for your buck, petzl is the way to go, they also make multi color ones, if you need to use low light or alternate colors, which is nice.

features to look for
>hi/lo light modes
>waterproof/resistant
>ability to attach to other gear (easy with strap)
durability
>ability to one hand activate/ key mode

some even have programable features.

Nite Ize Inova headlamp has some good things going for it (waterproof, swipe mode instead of a button), but I gave up after 3 returns for the clip breaking

streamlight and petzle are my go to though

Basically all it takes is self awareness. You just have to remember that there is a light source on your forehead and it's not nice to blind others. Wrist lights would be rather niche. You'd have to be doing something that would justify only using one hand because if you're using both hands the light would be obscured by the back of your hand or not pointing at your intended place because of your hand moving around. Headlights would be far cheaper and more common, plus I can't have anything as large as or bigger than a gshock on my wrist or I'm going to knock that bitch off in a heartbeat.
Flashlights come to mind far quicker than a headlamp. Hobbyist use headlamps (or 5 like a guy I hiked the AT with) all the time. Basically people with no investment in the use of hands free light (your average sub/urbanite) aren't going to go for 'newfangled' technology.

Honestly i think the fact that they look kind of dorky contributes

Great for SCUBA total shit for gun stuff.

Get a headlamp and weapon light like others have said.

t. tried it circa 1988 before weapon lights were a thing

>mounting something on your wrist to help you see when you have a perfectly good forehead that points where you are looking
0/10

WATCH THOSE WRIST ROCKETS

if you put your light center mass to your target in night combat you deserve the bullet that gets blind fired at it
flashlights that can be head mounted are a good option, but if you assume you are going to be in combat, having little glow in the dark markers where your brains or heart are usually arent the best ideas.

Whats wrong with a head mounted or gun mounted light?