How the fuck do you make springs?

How the fuck do you make springs?

I feel like that's the one part that would be difficult to source in the event of a complete gun ban. Like, everything else can be made relatively easily with a hunk of metal and some combination of a lathe, drill press, and CNC machine.

Attached: downloadfile-15.jpg (400x400, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Us28iaPOitU
youtube.com/watch?v=jAawhg6JtyY
m.youtube.com/watch?v=jAawhg6JtyY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

By coiling a strait bit of metal.

Since you already killed a thread, I'll reply.
On a mass production scale, there are specialty machines that make them.
For SHTF, hardware and auto parts stores. Springs can come in different types and lengths and be used. No where near as reliable as purpose made, but I'm sure it isn't impossible to source something.

youtube.com/watch?v=Us28iaPOitU
you usually use piano wire

youtube.com/watch?v=jAawhg6JtyY
Learn to use google you fucking burger.

Without a designated machine, you can literally just wrap wire around a tube...

Isn't there some smart fucker from like the 1800's or 1900's who has a law named after him based on springs? I'm too drunk to think about it right now.

Hooke's Law?

lol youtube was a mistake

yeah boi. thanks my dude

yes, a video hosting website that lets you easily link to a tutorial video on making springs in a thread asking about how to make springs is truly a terrible thing.
The only mistake youtube made was fucking over their content creators and going full libtard.

>wrap wire around tube object
>temper metal
People have been making springs for ages, long before mass production.

Springs are easy, just wrap a metal wire around a tube. The hard part in arms manufacturing is ammunition and a rifled barrel. Smokeless propellant, primers, and brass are hard.

Spring steel is extremely difficult to work with, requires application of very high heat and knowledge of the underlying metallurgy. This is very easy on an industrial scale so you should just buy the springs you need.

I keked. Gonna start using the intro as a test video at work.

If you really wanted to make a good one, just drill a hole in a metal stock and tie it in the hole, and twist the stock as many times as needed.

Better vid imo.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=jAawhg6JtyY

You just got to get the good steel that has the phase and heat it so it returns with a solid boing. Failure to heat or to use primitive alloy and the metal will not boing back to shape.

you make coil springs on a lathe.
spring wire is sold already tempered in any quantity you like. heat treat of flat springs is not hard. especially if you're already making bolts, hammers, triggers, and firing pins.

I make them using piano wire and my oven

You put a mandrel on a lathe and use the threading controls and carriage/toolpost to guide and hold the wire as you make it.

No re-heat treating required.

I worry about leaving compressed spring in the trunk of my black car in a black case all summer; very hot.

Heating and cooling cycles can really mess with it. But I doubt what you’re describing will affect the spring in a meaningful way unless there’s other factors at play (weak spring quality to begin with, bad material, etc)

Nah just an ar pistol in an skb case with some loaded mags.

Attached: IMG_3313.jpg (2932x3157, 1.38M)

You make an alloy with manganese, carbon, and phosphorus.

Here's a ratio- 0.90–1.03% C, 0.30–0.50% Mn, max. 0.030% P, max. 0.035% S[7]

The key thing is to determine the amount of force that can be stored in a given amount of deflection of a given gauge 9f wire, and to decide the right ratio between gauge and length of wire. You then wrap and temper the wire to set it's shape. The yield strength of the spring tells you how much force can be applied without permanent change to the spring. You could literally figure all of this out from scratch now that you know an approximate recipe and reinvent all the known physics from experiment

Primers can be sourced of match heads. They just won't work in space or underwater like real primers.

How does it keep its memory without some heat treatment?

spring wire is sold already heat treated.

I mean will leaving what's pictured there in a hot trunk all summer affect it?

I guess if you exceed the yield strength of the steel it'll keep the shape you're after. But I bet it's more complex to find an algorithm to match your desired result than to just shape and temper the metal. A machine can do it in a repeatable manner , so cheap springs are possible, but a human hand would have a hard time doing it. Tempering could be done with a thermometer and a template to hold the spring- a wound spring would need the same exact wrap every time

I don't think you got the question. How does the wire "know" what shape you want it to retain unless you heat it at the desired shape? You speak a magic command?

>Isn't there some smart fucker from like the 1800's or 1900's who has a law named after him based on springs?
Pretty much every law is named after someone.

Elastic deformation: when you don't bend a piece of metal too far, it will return to its original shape when pressure is relieved. Its shape is not permanently changed.
Plastic deformation: when you do bend a piece of metal too far, it will only return partway toward its original shape when pressure is relieved. Its shape is permanently changed.

Having a significant difference between the two makes a good spring material, as well as having resistance to effects like metal fatigue and corrosion. To make a spring, you bend the material beyond its elastic limit. For coil springs, this means take straight wire and wind it around a rod.

Engineers have tricky math to make good guesses about the right gauge of wire and rod thickness and the rate to move the wire along the rod as it's wound, but in the end, even they try shit out and make little changes until the result is close enough to what they want.

It'll oxidize but it won't lose its temper. That's going to happen at 300+ degrees. Oxidation will make a spring brittle faster than 160 degree heat cycles

>what is oil quenching?

Thanks, I liked the humor of that video, especially the end.

the fuck would i know fag

plastic deformation.

>All those equations

I'm a fucking brainlet

Attached: LiberalTriggering.jpg (850x400, 40K)

>How does the wire "know" what shape you want it to retain unless you heat it at the desired shape?
Elastic deformation is deformation below the metals yield point. You stretch it so far, and it snaps back to its original shape. You stretch it past its yield point, and you enter plastic deformation which is irreversible (where at most it only partially reverts to its original shape). You apply even more stress and it goes past the ultimate strength where it then snaps.

Other factors can reduce the yield and ultimate strength further such as fatigue from putting it through cyclic stress (such as each time a gun fires). As an example keep bending a paper clip and it will eventually snap.

It's not really as intimidating as it sounds.

So the fact you're bending it past its plasticity point at the time is what "sets" it?