What so special about APDSFS? What makes it so much more effective than regular APDS...

What so special about APDSFS? What makes it so much more effective than regular APDS? Is it the fins that bounce around in the tank?

Attached: APDS.png (720x529, 425K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CpVVGk2OfQQ?t=9s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's longer.

Sectional density

This because of
This

why am i looking at a bamboo stick

It's fin-stabilized. APDS like SLAP rounds are fired from rifled barrels, making them spin-stabilized.

Japanese bamboo ammunition folded a thousand times pierce any armor and kill not only the target but also it´s soul.

The FS makes it more accurate and less susceptible to weather conditions. I suppose if you made a APDS just as long and of the same materials it would have identical penetration characteristics.

p much

>Armour-piercing discarding sabot (APDS) was initially the main design of the kinetic energy (KE) penetrator. The logical progression was to make the shot longer and thinner to concentrate the kinetic energy in a smaller area. However, a long, thin rod is aerodynamically unstable; it tends to tumble in flight and is less accurate. Traditionally, rounds were given stability in flight from the rifling of the gun barrel, which imparts a spin to the round. Up to a certain limit, this is effective, but once the projectile's length is more than six or seven times its diameter, rifling becomes less effective.[1] Adding fins like the fletching of an arrow to the base gives the round stability. The spin from standard rifling decreases the performance of these rounds (rifling diverts some of the linear kinetic energy to rotational kinetic energy, thus decreasing the round's velocity and impact energy), and very high rotation on a fin-stabilized projectile can dramatically increase aerodynamic drag, further reducing impact velocity.

funny how in the 15,000 or so years of weapon technology progression since the dawn of the bow and arrow, we're still launching lawn darts at one another, just way faster.

In pre-historic times composites on tanks were made out of lime and tree bark. The only way cavemen were able to destroy such tanks were armor piercing discarding bamboo rods which the OP posted

What's funny about it? Poking holes in shit is how you make things dead. Why would this change in 15,000 years?

/thread

idk i guess i just find it funny how we tried a bunch of different chemical warheads in tank warfare, but the implementation of era, composite armor, etc has kinda made it less fool proof than the basic kinetic round.

>we tried a bunch of different chemical warheads in tank warfare

What are you even referring to here?

HEAT, HESH...

He's marveling that after HE, EFP, depleted uranium, etc your still as good or better using the modern equivalent of a ballista bolt.

HEAT (aka shaped charge) is not a "chemical warhead"...it pokes holes in things by slamming copper into stuff at high speed: youtu.be/CpVVGk2OfQQ?t=9s

It basically just squeezes the copper so quickly and in one particular direction that it transforms it into a lethal bolt. Shockwaves, my dude. Not chemicals.

HESH doesn't poke holes, this is true, but high explosives aren't a particularly mysterious weapon either.

>EFP

This just means shaped charge.

>depleted uranium

This is just a very hard metal. There's no weird chemical warhead nonsense going on here. In fact, DU is only used in kinetic penetrators, so I don't understand why you would suggest that DU is a different or inferior weapon to the KE penetrator; they are the same weapon.

>HEAT (aka shaped charge) is not a "chemical warhead"
It relies on chemically stored energy (explosives) not kinetic.
What part of this concept is hard for you to understand?

the explosives that drive the copper in a heat round are chemicals. obviously the chemical reaction (explosion) ultimately translates to a kinetic weapon. Also hesh is a purely chemical round. Didnt realize i was dealing with an autismo.

That's some advanced retardation right here.

I'd say HEAT and HESH could as chemical energy projectiles rather than kinetic energy projectiles. They don't penetrate with the kinetic energy from the gun that launched them but rather the energy from the explosives held within.

A HEAT or HESH round won't loose potency from being fired at long range but would be more vulnerable to spaced and composite armor.

>This is just a very hard metal
It´s not a "very hard metal", it is a very DENSE metal.
Almost as dense as your head in fact.

Attached: derp.png (722x436, 97K)

Depleted uranium is hypergolic. It'll catch fire when it shatters.

What a retarded thing to play semantics with. Leave the basement, rainman.

The long rod of tungsten alloy or depleted uranium is fine for penetrating and doesn't shatter as easily as does steel, but it gets eroded as it penetrated the armour. The longer the penetrator is the more material is available until it's all eroded from the tip to its end. This means longer = better penetration during teh 70's, 80's.
(Later on concerns about lateral forces and breaking up and the limits of how long the munition must become in the confines of a tank did put an emphasis on different design characteristics.)

Now with spin stabilisation (as in APDS) you can stabilise properly up to a length:diameter ratio of 6:1. APDS could thus not gain more length at some point - that's why APFSDS was introduced, as fin stabilisation (the "FS") begins to work really well at a ratio of 7:1 and works fine at longer ratios.

And that's why APFSDS is so much more widespread except in calibres up to 30 mm (there's almost no in-service munition fin-stabilised up to 23 mm calibre , and British 30mm were never modernised with APFSDS).

SPALL

Attached: 04C4A2AD-475A-425D-B4C3-F87F7EDB75DC-8835-00000B991647CE53.gif (150x165, 27K)

Is that a sharpened bamboo stick? I need a apdsfs blowgun.

A bamboo blowgun that fires bamboo darts, using a bamboo sabot.

This. DU and Tungsten are dense, and therefor confer an optimal amount (ie. as much as possible) of potential energy onto a target.

something people seem to forget. this is the reason for most of the extra penetration you get out a DU over other materials.

NOT

BE

Why not make an anti-tank round out of gold?

Because DU is more dense.

>the vietnamese invent their own tank and proprietary rounds

WUZ

A) we had a shit ton of left over DU from making nuclear bombs (it's complicated, I'll explain later)
B) Uranium is denser than gold.
C)Uranium is tougher than gold and tends to catch fire when powdered.

That being said, you could totally make golden bullets. In theory, you'll get an extra 30 percent increase in range. In Theory. Be sure to put some kind of jacket on the round or it'll go splat in the barrel.

My same thoughts
I enjoyed that reference

Gold is soft as shit, you can scratch it with your fingernail.

>hypergolic
Well, technically the term is pyrophoric. It will only combust in the presence of oxygen and when in very small particles. Of course, you are correct in that this is a big part of why we use it.

*DOUK*