Squared brass would be far superior than cylindrical brass

Squared brass would be far superior than cylindrical brass.

>no wasted space in magazine
>can fit 25% more ammo on a magazine
>head space like a dream
>brass won't roll away when collecting your brass
>more aesthetically pleasing
>can stack more in an ammo can
>easier on an extractor

Attached: image.jpg (400x518, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dardick_tround
youtube.com/watch?v=J9FImc2LOr8
youtube.com/watch?v=hUhisi2FBuw
youtube.com/watch?v=MTh0EMAH99A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have a feeling this would cause feeding issues

Don't tell OP that

Casing tooling would be more expensive

Stress concentration in corners

i like it but I feel like we can take it a step further
>square brass
but
>the edges are rounded

yep and square bullets would be absolute shit.

I guess you could probably figure out how to manufacture square brass with a round mouth but I predict lots of ruptured cases and $5/round type prices.

>Squared brass
I think you meant to say trounds.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dardick_tround

This is a great idea.
You should invest all your money, and make a gun that fires square ammunition, as well as the ammunition for it.

this user can into pressure

Attached: 052a748f6ebf60b7a805e066fab1efbe14c112-v5-wm.jpg (640x920, 63K)

are you thinking of caseless rounds, user?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 84K)

suck my dardick's tround OP

Hey bud, you dropped this.

Attached: please be patient.png (433x402, 236K)

You’re on the path to enlightenment OP but you’ve strayed. Hexagonal cartridges are the answer.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Let's put these bad boys together! The future is caseless trounds!

why not just use round bullets with a feed in from the top? Granted, if you want more ammo per storage isn't a squirt gun your best bet?

Octagonal rounds

Heretic

Attached: A648AA18-311F-4A4B-879E-9599B3D6901D.jpg (1441x1600, 232K)

Op is a genius, to bad he’s not very original.

Attached: 31EB137E-17E6-4BBE-91EA-5A35935DDCE6.jpg (250x328, 21K)

it would be so much harder to manufacture and you'd just end up with a heavier magazine

thats a fucking triangle

The future is caseless rounds fired through electromagnetic coils that function as rifling for a significant increase in stability and muzzle velocity. Internal batter recharges using the thermal energy released from the propellant and the adhesive is expelled along with the bullet. Smooth bore allows for easier cleaning and fewer feed problems, but most people will stick with traditional rifling in addition to the coils just in case the battery fails or electromagnetic pulse fucks it up.

Truth.
Though, the rear of the casing has a pretty sharp corner, right? So it can be dealt with.

First thing I thought of after reading. Sounds like a recipe for disastrous failures.

This is the real problem. Cylinder > box. That's why propane tanks and pressure bearing tanks are all cylindrical or spherical

it would feed like dogshit

Kinda hard to believe it failed it's a great idea.

Cylinders are actually superior at containing pressure due to the relative lack of edges. This is why carbonated beverage cans are cylindrical as opposed to square or hexagonal.

you can't stagger rounds if they're square. you would get fewer rounds in each magazine

how the fuck would they even feed

Not OP but

you can still drill a round hole in the square brass and use round bullets, it doesn't have to be square holes/bullets lol

Square holes are (a lot) harder to drill than round holes. Also, high pressure and square edges don't always go together nicely.

Then you're wasting more brass per case.

>rounds are called rounds because they're round
A-am I an idiot for not making this connection earlier?

Attached: how.png (638x720, 419K)

>not creating a superior mechanism that fires square cartridges

>not storing propellant and bullets separately and having a small refrigeration loop integrated into your firearm.
Cucks

Checkmate, faggot.

Attached: Ikea.jpg (225x225, 12K)

no, they are not called rounds cos they are round
you donkey, we live in a fucking world when all the information you could ever need is at your fingertips and yet you chose to be ignorant

S-sorry for being dumb

Attached: sadness.jpg (537x452, 145K)

Is this Loss?

>reeeEe
Lmao every time

COME ON AND JAM

What Is a hexagon you trash

There's no reason why it couldn't be done in a single stack. The bullets could still be round.

What about the puckle gun?

>Puckle demonstrated two configurations of the basic design: one, intended for use against Christian enemies, fired conventional round bullets, while the second, designed to be used against the Muslim Turks, fired square bullets. The square bullets were considered to be more damaging. They would, according to the patent, "convince the Turks of the benefits of Christian civilization".

youtube.com/watch?v=J9FImc2LOr8

Attached: nigga choco pud.jpg (600x400, 54K)

>hexagonal

Step aside, octagonal cartridge master race coming through

>He doesn't know about the superior dardick trounds

Attached: trounds.jpg (896x600, 165K)

Yeah man that's called a circle

the box shape of the brass is the weakness issue. You might as well go full G11 and use a caseless round that sits inside a very reinforced chamber.

triangles > circles > squares

better question, rounded edge triangular cases like they had in that old mag-fed meme revolver

Sweet mother of fuck are these things ugly, though...

Attached: wm_11861668.jpg (795x670, 97K)

Hey, guys, listen me for a second, I've got a great idea.

What if we made a wheel, but instead of round, hexagonal?

Now that's revolutionary.

this

Why is it that stupid shit like this always gets at least a couple dozen replies?

Attached: download.jpg (348x145, 4K)

they were fuckhueg too, just compare this to any other .38 pistol that holds 15 rounds

Attached: file.png (520x300, 198K)

Have fun feeding that shit.

Square brass has massive weak points on the flat surfaces you idiot
Why do you think literally everything that's pressurized comes in cylindrical containers?

>you can just use twice as much brass per casing so we can have our meme squares lol
Choke yourself with my hand.

Has anybody ever considered round caseless ammo? Might make feeding easier.

FUCK UR DUMB

The only intelligent reply ITT.

was a dumb idea in 1718
its a dumb idea today

Attached: puckle+gun.jpg (650x439, 73K)

watch this. almost all of it applies to bullets. also stop being a fucking retard.

>brass
This is your problem. Other anons commenting are both right and wrong. Your obturation and stress concentration will be problematic. To strengthen the corners of the case to withstand the same pressure you could with a round case, you'll need to add more material which means your exterior volume to interior volume ratio will get worse. You'll still fit more in the same magazine volume but your case will be significantly heavier for the same interior cartridge volume (cases already weigh about 50% of a cartridge).
But if you used caseless, then all you'd have to do is strengthen the chamber on the rifle (as you'd have to do with brass as well) and you wouldn't have to deal with the extra weight on the case.
Funnily enough, the G11 did this. Which is part of why they managed to fit a rifle round in a smaller size than .38 super.

Attached: g11 ammo.png (610x339, 399K)

>"I'm 12 years old but I browsed Jow Forums for three months and am now an expert gunsmith" the post
Nothing changes.

Look up the G11, you brainlet.

not wanting to shoot more bullet

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 65K)

What is this thread, an IQ test troll?
Lots of luck getting the rounds to roll up through a mag if they aren't even round. Lots of luck getting them to slide with the greater friction due to flat sides. Lots of luck getting them to chamber properly with only 4 possible axial orientations for it to fit, versus an infinte number for a round case.

>no wasted space in magazine
Hexagonal packing in double-stack magazines already means very little wasted space.
>can fit 25% more ammo on a magazine
Not when you consider that double-stack mags are pretty much impossible with square casings.
>brass won't roll away when collecting your brass
I feel like there are better solutions. Say, tapered casings that roll in a circle and never get very far.
>can stack more in an ammo can
Granted
>easier on an extractor
HOW?

It probably wouldn't be bad from a single-stack mag. Double-stack mags would be a nightmare.

>Stress concentration in corners
I don't think this would be a terribly difficult thing to address, but it would necessitate thicker, heavier chambers.

>Open chamber
Now THAT is a fucking sketchy idea.

>novelty square cans are suboptimal
You really showed him user

If you'd be willing to go for squared bullets, why not at the same time go the whole nine yards and fire the whole bullet? That would be 65% more bullet per bullet.

>was a dumb idea in 1718 its a dumb idea today
But that squared anti-islamist ammo could sure come in handy...

/facepalm
New jam scenario: was your ammo facing up, down, left or right when it entered the ALSO square chamber
Words cannot describe the stupidity of this idea

>Squared brass would be far superior than cylindrical brass.
Sure, if you're an engineerlet.

>concentrated stress points in the steel wall between your face and exploding nitrocellulose.
What can possibly go wrong?????

still, you're going to have stress concentrations in the corners of the brass. The chamber would need to be reinforced, as would the brass. Adding weight, and negating the benefits.

Harder to feed an oblong than a cylinder. Might be more common once caseless is a thing since it packs more propellant per square mm and there's no reason to feed a case out of the rifle.

why stop at hexagonal?

If we make an infinite amount of edges, we'll have no stress concentrations at any particular point, and all the stress will be evenly distributed.

If only such a shape existed, one could be a rich man.

There are three kinds of people:
1. Flat earthers
2. Round eathers
3. Me: The earth is an irregular oblate spheroid

Nope, digital bullshit has very little place on the battlefield, too fragile for man-portable weapons (or super expensive if not).

Jow Forums seems to have all the edges we need for this.

Attached: nauris.jpg (960x685, 87K)

There are plenty of reasons not to have square brass. Just like it would be stupid to have cubical soda cans.

Drawing alumininininium vs broaching every brass
Mech Eng noob

came to post this. dardick revolver concept is a perfect fit for molded-propellant-caseless ammo, potentially solving all of caseless ammos outstanding technical challenges. mitigates cookoff with multiple chambers AND extraction is no problem AND applies naturally to very high ROF / pulse-fire (the latter possibly still done all-mechanically more simply than G11 or AN94 - just spin that cylinder faster) AND still significant volume saving over cylindrical shape rounds.

youtube.com/watch?v=MTh0EMAH99A

the chamber seals. in the original the plastic casing is actually quite strong and self-sealed, only needing some external support. as a caseless system it might require some additional work.

Dumb anime poster

Casings not bullets

autistic memeing aside I think octagonal or hexagonal bullets with flat polygonal rifling would be interesting for extreme long range precision rifles.

this one is getting old but

>being on Jow Forums
>complaining about anime

Dumb anime poster

>i don't post a pic
>this makes me an anime poster

so, how old were you when you were dropped on the head?

Attached: 1523308457736.jpg (453x439, 85K)

the real issue is you'd have to bore out a square breach mechanism

what if we just add corners to our brass? make them little hexagonal cells with cylindrical interiors

it comes from the age of ball and powder, rounds were literally spheres of lead, iron, or stone, thus 'rounds'

Dumb anime poster

g11 uses singlestack and it also uses caseless, which is a completely different mechanism, also if you look inside the thing it's a mechanical clusterfuck that looks like the inside of a swiss watch. good job proving his point you tard

>Dardick's patent 3,855,931, issued in 1974, expands the tround to hold multiple projectiles, firing through a set of barrels (one per projectile), making a Project SALVO-type gun. This type of tround, holding three projectiles, was used in the H & R Firearms SPIW prototype

Attached: 120px-Dardick_salvo_tround_pat_3855931_fig6.png (120x102, 6K)

dumb an-i-me po-ster

>squared anti-islamist ammo
What?
Am I missing something?

See