So besides weight and capacity, and the fact pretty much everyone else will have AR-15s or at least AKs...

So besides weight and capacity, and the fact pretty much everyone else will have AR-15s or at least AKs, is there any downfall to choosing a battle rifle like a M14, FAL, or AR10 as my SHTF rifle?

Attached: 844599526_preview_m14_in_combat.jpg (1000x643, 83K)

>Aside from these major factors, are there any factors?

You just said it, weight and capacity (granted 20 vs. 30 round magazines aren't really going to be a game changer in SHTF).
The main thing you haven't considered though is ammo weight, 7.62x51 NATO is heavier and larger than 5.56x45/7.62x39, meaning less ammo on your person. This is kinda important since contrary to popular belief by people who play way too much S.T.A.L.K.E.R. you aren't just gonna be picking up hundreds of rounds every five minutes, assume what you start with is all you'll have, you may stumble across more if you're lucky enough but don't make your plans revolve around something that has a very low chance of happening.

>muh weight
not drastically more if you're not using wood
>muh capacity
10 rounds less
>muh parts
don't plan on breaking them in the first place. I buy spare parts kits for my guns anyway.

meanwhile the advantages are more range and stopping power, which is better suited for a semi-auto rifle anyway.

There is no point in continuing to engage with you.

Yea, if you don't care about any of the negatives then there aren't really any negatives to it. only other negative i can think of is that ammo should be pretty available considering all the fudds that use it, but probably not quite as common as 5.56.

Then again im sure that you aren't worried about that either.

>Live in Prairie region where you can see for thousands of meters in any given direction with basically no cover or concealment outside of a few barns
Would a battle rifle actually better suit someone in such an environment than a intemediate?

mini uzi + 300 win mag rifle

No. Is unironically correct. Something portable for up close and a common magnum would be the way to go.

Aaron, is that you? Besides theoretically being able to take down larger game, there's no reason to choose a battle rifle over an AR or AK. Personal preference does matter, but you have to factor in what the cost of carrying a rifle you like more is. Personally, I don't think 7.62 NATO would be worth it at all unless you decided to strategize around carrying a bolt action.

Yes but how much more 556 are you going to use to achieve a lesser result?

If you're outnumbered by the MAN you're going to be taking out isolated agents/officers/soldiers or taking potshots at range then displacing before they can organize and skullfuck you.

In that case, you want the rounds you actually manage to put on target to do their job. 7.62x51 is just plain old better at defeating armor, barriers, and ensuring a casualty under these circumstances.

Forgot to add that 7.62.51 is also superior SHTF cartridge because it can more effectively pull double duty as a hunting load.

If you're hunting in shtf you'd be better served going after small game. If you take a large animal, you need to be able to butcher it, and store it to get the most out of it. With small game, there's no storage because you just shoot what you need, and the butchering process is quicker and easier. Not to mention small game is more plentiful.

on the other hand if you shoot a couple squirrels for food every day you'll run out of ammo faster than if you shoot a deer every fortnight/something along those lines don't know how long a deer would last...

OP if you want to sling a BR fine, just go ask /brg/ for tips. If it's your preference there's no need to justify yourself to us.

just admit you're style over substance and get on with your life dude
everyone else carrying around ar15s in your hypothetical scenario will be carrying them for practicality, while you are still enjoying the world ending. you will be shunned and treated like a goof-off, which to some extent you are

There is literally no practical reason to carry a battle rifle in a normal SHTF situation. Deer and other medium game can be easily harvested with intermediate calibers.

That being said, if the world is invaded by Orcs or Trolls or some other fantasy race that has above average toughness, then yeah, battle rifles may have a point.

snares
if you NEED a gun for shtf itself ur failing already

Even if you're a good enough shot to hit at 400m+ Fals and G3's aren't really accurate enough for it, they're general combat guns and shoot about as well as a decent AK

May as well save the weight, get a light AK or AR, carry more ammo and carry a folding shovel with which you can create cover

OP's question is stupid, lets discuss actually interesting trade offs

Which is better, a bicycle with a cargo rack or a horse? my money is on the bike, horses need constant attention, get scared, and aren't actually any faster over long distances, its easier to find a new wheel for a bike than it is to find a new horse after you have to put your old one done because it broke its leg as well

I've found 223 green tip are fine for deer sized game. Not 308 optimal, but fine.
>wasting ammo on squirrels

Attached: good-bait.jpg (650x429, 32K)

Weight of the ammo too.

>have to peddle bike
>wastes calories
>*still slower*
>you can't eat grass
>bike can't sense predators/exercise intuition
>can't eat bike

Attached: 088777002434.png (450x595, 599K)

Why are you using .223/5.56 on squirrels? Squirrels and other small game are air rifle territory. No need to waste ammo.

My horses have all been trained to tolerate gun shots. I've gone backpacking on a bike and on a horse, and you can go thirty times further on a horse, especially on sloped terrain. Only downside I could see is if someone hurts your horse it's not like a bike where you can stash it and search for parts to fix it. If a horse gets hurt you need to use valuable medical resources to heal it. If it gets a hurt leg, you pretty much have to put it down on the spot since they're so dumb as to not keep weight off it to heal.

>muh weight
>not drastically more if you're not using wood
ounces are pounds

Also:

>Bike can't kick and stomp and trample predators or enemies

>Car vs Bike you get flung through the air while even a small car speeds happily along

>Car vs horse a thousand pound beast slams through their windshield killing everyone in the car (you still die tho lol)