Thinking of getting my first firearm

I was looking into a 9mm of some type. Something on the cheaper side and reliable. I've been thinking a Glock 17. What's a good beginner handgun?

Attached: Glock-17-9mm_main-1.jpg (1000x1000, 100K)

>What's a good beginner handgun?
A glock 17.

Something you can also CC later in life. Take a look at any of the 9mm compacts that tickle your pickle. I have a Shield I and it's the bees knees. Though as of late I've started carrying my 17 because I am no longer fatbody.

So that would be a good first choice? Thanks. How expensive is 9mm ammo usually?

OP here. I also REALLY wanted a M1911, but holy fuck are they expensive, same goes for the .45 ammo itself. I was told its the best handgun ever made, and I love using them in video games because they're aesthetic as fuck

>CC
I'm ignorant to this stuff. What does that mean?

>So that would be a good first choice?

Yup. Not that user but the Glock 17 or 19 would both be excellent beginner guns. I carry a 19 and shoot it extremely well.

9mm brass is typically 17-18 cents a round. Bookmark gun.deals and buy your ammo there, it will be cheaper than buying it at Walmart and you can typically find better quality ammo anyways. If you don't care for brass case ammo and like to save a little bit, you can find Wolf for 15-16 cents a round.

>but holy fuck are they expensive

You have no idea. A true 1911 that can be ran as a shooter with no malfunctions is going to cost quite a bit with expensive magazines, some fitting of several parts and the 1911 is a gun you will need to take care of as a hobby. It isn't like a Glock, Beretta or HK where you can take it out of the box and run with it.
>I'm ignorant to this stuff. What does that mean?
conceal carry

I would go with a 19 over the 17, easier to conceal carry. Maybe do a build; buy a slide, frame, etc with night sights and threaded barrel.

Glock 17 was my first handgun, it's a good choice. I'd recommend the 19 thought easier to carry.

What is the difference between the 19 and 17?

Longer slide and magazine well, grip.

Attached: DSCF1785_thumb[3].jpg (644x356, 81K)

>What is the difference between the 19 and 17?
The 17 is a fullsize pistol that holds 17rds. It has both a slightly longer grip and slide. The Glock 19 while being 15rds and a compact sized pistol, it is plenty big enough to fight with but compact enough to conceal. Because of the ideal size of the 19, it is used by a lot of people in the self defense community and a lot of companies have started to make their own Glock 19 sized pistols.

If you think you will want to conceal carry one day, pick the 19. If not, the 17 will serve you well and you can even carry the 17 if you ever do decide you want to start carrying.

Ammoseek.com is your friend.
I'd opt for a glock 19 over a 17 though, as a 19 is a bit easier to carry concealed, which you'll probably do eventually.
I would recommend going to a range that rents guns and shooting everything you can though. I opted for a beretta 92fs as my first gun, because it felt great to shoot, and I didn't really like the glocks I shot.

Best example, thanks. Is the 19 on the "too small size" like a "womans gun"?

I'm probably going to conceal because I live in New Hampshire, and we have really lax gun laws. So it'd be no brainer to get a conceal carry permit

Depends on your hand. If you wear mediums\ then it's fine. Large and up then it might feel a bit off in your hand. Go to a gunstore and ask to look at them.

>Is the 19 on the "too small size" like a "womans gun"?

No. The 19 is widely used as a duty/combat pistol by plenty of law enforcement agencies and units in the military. Far from a ""lady's pistol"'.

A ""lady's"" pistol would be a Glock 42.

Thanks again giys. I think I'm going to go with the 19

define cheaper
g19 is $500 most of the time
m&p 2.0 is regularly $400 or less, $399 with free shipping from sportsmans right now

>Thanks again giys. I think I'm going to go with the 19

If you do, get either a Gen 3 or Gen 5.

I got a Glock 17 for my first gun a few weeks back. It's a fantastic firearm. Shoots well, is easy to take apart, handles well, etc.

Do it!

Don't forget the 33 round extendo mag

Might want to get a 19 if you plan on concealed carrying. Some people can make full sized guns like the 17 work but the 19 conceals better

Not at all. Did you know that the largest law-enforcement handgun contract was a contract for a 'compact' handgun? Last decade the feds bought a ton of these (pic related, P2000 V2 LEM .40) for DHS/ICE and other agencies (CBP, Border Patrol, etc.) that still use them to this day as their primary duty sidearm.

Attached: P2000LEM.jpg (1959x1469, 728K)

The gun on the bottom appears to be a 17L not 17. The 17's slide ends flush with the frame and the difference between the 17 and 19's barrel lengths isn't that significant.

It's a 34/35, the slide is beveled and not long enough to be a 17L or 24.

The glock 17 is a good first pistol for sure. As others have noted, I'd consider the 19 instead though. Also, pick up a few other pistols in your price range and get a feel for them. Rent them at your local range if possible. Some other things in that range: walther PPQ, steyr m9a1, beretta 92fs. All good guns.

someone gave me this advice a decade ago

i sold it for a profit p226 essentially

Attached: Untitled.png (1296x864, 2.06M)

Since this is this kinda thread, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good .380 pistol that is good for a woman, and holds 8-10 rounds, preferably.

The same applies for a 20 gauge shotgun. Preferably one that holds 4-5 shells.

Getting those for the gf as defensive guns. Probably getting a S&W 6906 or M&P9c 2.0 for myself.

>Beretta 92FS

My man. Note this too, OP. I carried the M9 in the Army and stuck with the 92FS once I was out. I have one in my bedside table and another that I use for duty (armed security) and they are great. Would also recommend checking out other pistols from Beretta. Good company.

9memeter is for s o ys

Get a .45

>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good .380 pistol that is good for a woman, and holds 8-10 rounds, preferably.
>The same applies for a 20 gauge shotgun. Preferably one that holds 4-5 shells.
How about fuck off and quit being a sexist that thinks females cant handle 9mm you neanderthal.

>white knighting my gf you've never met in an online forum

Whew. These are the calibers she decided on and that she is comfortable with. Egghead.

CZ75s and Tanfoglio Witnesses are like 1911s but actually good.

Get a Glock 29.
>Perfect for CC
>10mm
>Everybody will be jelly of your perfect fierarm

>Archaic round with shit capacity
>Outperformed by .40, 10mm, .357 sig
>Better than 9mm
Okay fag

>being this much of a virgin

Glock 19 or Glock 34, the 17 is stupid.

>a battle-tested round that has put down tens of thousands of krauts, Nazis, towelheads, Slavs, niggers, criminals, and chinks of every flavor since its inception
>and that was in its 230 gr FMJ configuration
>continues to put them down today
>still used by major militaries
>many pistols hold 10-13+ rounds now
>archaic

Nah. I think you're just a 9mm fag who cares more about capacity bc you've watched one to many Nutnfancy vids. My .45 will work just fine, as does many others.

>according to the FBI, many if not most defensive situations use less than seven rounds
>muh capacity

Yeah... fag. Spray and pray some more

>9mm fag
Nah, I just don't see the point of .45 when 10mm and .40SW gives you comparable or more energy with more capacity, and 9mm gives you more capacity and less recoil.
Rocks have killed shitloads of people, do you still bring them to gunfights?

What about the S&W SD40? Under $400.

Attached: 11996_01_lg.jpg (500x500, 16K)

.45 is better at transfering the energy than any of those rounds.

Rent the Glock 19 at a range to see how it feels. Specially if you've never fired a gun before.

This is correct.

>1.4 inch wound channels

With the right ammunition you can put several inch and a half holes in a perps chest at over 1000 FPS. Not bad for a heavy, slow round like the .45 ACP.