Do we have anyone here that has been in the armed forces?

Do we have anyone here that has been in the armed forces?

I have a question. I'm 35. I have an eletrical engineer degree and an MBA. I make about $80,000 a year.

I'd kind of like to enlist. My grandfather was a marine and several of my grandmother's brother's were in the air force. And I've lived my entire life around military equipment. My dad got big in military surplus and vehicle restoration. I grew up around portable shelter units, m35s, cucvs, M37s, M135s, military plane loaders, you name it.

Would it be stupid to enlist at 35? Without an age waver for a very specific job, that pretty much leaves me with the airforce.

I feel like I'm at a cross road right now. I'm not married yet. I feel like if I enlist at my age, I'll be picking between my career goals and a future family.

Would it be possible to maybe join later, after I find a wife? Is an electrical engineer rare enough to get an age waver? I've heard of them waving 50 and 60 year olds for very specific skill sets.

Attached: M135_Meskens_crop_2.jpg (1777x1206, 701K)

>I grew up around cucvs
I'll just bet you did.

I want to drive a tank too. but I bet that is out of my age range.

Attached: 4-m1a2-abrams.jpg (600x400, 145K)

Do you really want a 22 year old fresh out of college to be your boss?

maybe do some weekend warrior reserve stuff?
military doesn't need smart people like you as enlisted

you can try to be a military contractor.
you still go to work at the base, but you don't fall under all the fuck fuck ruling.
and you get paid alot.

This, especially if you work overseas. I'm a contractor in Afghanistan now, most of the people here are prior service but there's a few that are civilian. I'm making over four times the amount of money I was making as a Sgt in the Marines with no college whatsovever, tax free.

They *need smart people as enlisted. They just don't WANT them. Also, you're kinda old. If you wait any longer you probably won't be able to go in. You can always get married later. My dad, though it was his second marriage, married my mom when he was 40 and that was 24 years ago. They're still together.

tax free!!!!!

You're 35 and have a good job, do you really want to trade that in for bing surrounded by idiots and treated like a child, while having a kid for a boss, just so you can brag about being a veteran? You'll regret it.

Don't enlist. If you absolutely feel like you need to do what the other user said and join National Guard and do the weekend warrior stuff.

Yep. As long as I don't spend more than 30 days in CONUS for the duration of my contract. It's pretty much like a deployment, just a lot cushier and I make way more money. And the only trade off is I have to spend some time away from my fun collection.

>have degree
>make good money
>want to enlist
You'd make a great marine

You are on the threshold of not being able to join.

I wouldn't throw away 80k a year to enlist. If anything I would go officer. You at least make close to what you're making now and there's a ton of jobs you can do.

>If anything I would go officer. You at least make close to what you're making now and there's a ton of jobs you can do.

this is an idea. If I did enlist, I probably wouldn't get to do anything fun given my electrical engineering degree. They'd put me where those skills would do the most good. Probably. Or have me mop floors. I wouldn't be flying jets or driving tanks.

you're about a decade too old to fly without having a bunch of extenuating circumstances.

go do the reserves or guard, it's much less BS.

If your officer recruiter is good enough they can do an age waiver to fly. Air Force is hurting for pilots.

And you can do cool shit while enlisted. And you can pick a job before leaving, at least for the Air Force. Just don't settle for anything. Scour the jobs, find something that looks cool and is a good fit and fight to get it.

>leaving an 80k job to die for israel

Fuckin nope.

>>leaving an 80k job to die for israel
>Fuckin nope.

eh, its not that great user. I work as an engineer in a factory of about 400,500 people.

There are only so many people around here with any brains or any sense of humor. And there aren't any single women that aren't 19, or 35 divorced with shit kids.

Oh and the place is part of a corporation. So there is a huge world of bullshit you have to deal with in dealing with them. Safety, paperwork, union crap.

All I do is buy cool guns and every two months drive to a local city to pick up chicks, only for any decent relationships to kind of peter out in 3 months because I can't compete with local guys.

So you want it...even worse? You'll be dealing with bullshit for shit pay, and you won't have any time for a real relationship.

>engineer 80K
>surplusshit
Nobody believes you. You don't beling on Jow Forums.

>Nobody believes you. You don't beling on Jow Forums.

what is there not to believe? My dad is a doctor, and his dad a marine and then doctor. We've done milsurp and Jow Forums for 3 generations

You have an mba, just comission and be an officer.

No bro. Go reserves. Definitely don't enlist, it'll fuck your shit up being treated like a fucking kid. If you get into reserves volunteer for a deployment and make your fantasy come true that way. Don't let the meme get you.

is there any kind of comprehensive guide on working in the US military? Like what the options are?

Was a CA in the navy, was great.

Work at an airport in NJ now making 6 figures.

Attached: modern artist.gif (320x225, 1.76M)