I fucked up - 22

Not my rifle, but I read an article about dryfiring 22s and how this damages the chamber by leaving the pock mark related.

My 22 was my first rifle for a long time and I dry fired it quite a bit because people told me it wouldnt hurt it. I noticed that my rifle has this depression as well.

How fucked is my rifle, and how do I dryfire my 22 without hurting it?

Attached: 62514649-8E50-4E6C-9C80-D7119E88B73D.png (640x480, 652K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aqUZwIf0J2k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You may need a new firing pin. Add in a pack of .22 snap caps to stop that from happening again.

The firing pin is fine, looks like the day i bought it

does it still shoot?
if yes, you're fine.
>how do I dryfire my 22 without hurting it?
why do you need to dryfire your .22?
if you really need to, just put in a spent casing and fire into it, or use a #4 drywall anchor.

Attached: 70025d1468260553-cheap-snap-caps-22-rimfire-.22lr-wall-anchor-snap-cap[1].jpg (630x411, 139K)

If there's no firing pin damage and there's no problems feeding or ejecting, it's fine.
Excessive dry firing a rimfire will either cause the firing pin to deform or break, or it can peen enough metal to make a burr inside the chamber and cause feeding or ejecting issues.
One issue is solved with a new pin, the other with some fine sandpaper and a dowel. No big deal on either.

Because Im not going to leave my rifle cocked for years at a time?

What rifle barrel is that?

My ruger 10/22 manual says you can dry-fire all day because of an internal firing pin block prevents hitting the barrel directly. and I have, no damage.

Not my barrel, just a stock image I found with the same depression

My rifle is a mossberg 702

wut

why aren't you using your guns for years at a time, and doing it so often to damage the gun, are you like 60?

If damage to the firing pin becomes too severe, replace it. If damage to the chamber becomes too severe, you can use a .22 chamber swage to fix it.

Someone asked why do I need to decock my rifle.

Because im not going to leave my rifle charged for all of eternity, or however long it takes for me to shoot it again.

Because .22 and rimfire is boring to me.

I love my 22 but I have more interesting rifles that I play with much more often.

Hold the hammer, pull trigger, slowly ride it forwards.

Ten years too late. I mist be retarded.

Thanks man

According to the intarnet the Mossberg 702 has a firing pin stop, like most modern .22s, and is safe to dry fire. The mark you see may be just the barest kiss of the surface without deformation, look very closely. Like said very well, it's a problem if the breech face is peened to intrude into the chamber.

I have lots of .22s, only two of them don't have firing pin blocks and are unsafe to dry fire. All the rest I dry fire very frequently. Some of them have light marks on the breech face but no actual deformation. If you want to check this on an unfamiliar gun, tear a strip of paper, place it between the bolt face and the breech face and dry fire. If the paper is punched through, it may not be safe to dry fire. If the paper is just marked, it's safe to dry fire.

>why do you need to dryfire your .22?
For fun, practice, function checking.

You can dryfire almost any .22 autoloader out of battery enough to keep the firing pin off the breech face. For bolt actions, cock the bolt and hold the trigger as you close the bolt to let the firing pin down gently.

Attached: 22s.jpg (2800x1867, 1.83M)

Nigger...ride it forward???

How long have you had that .22?

Didn't read into thread far enough.

Jesus bro.

This is fucking bullshit on any 22 made in the last 40 years and I'm sick of the internet said npogunz faggots. People who can't even decock a gun, don't know to just stick a spent case in. utter faggotry all round

/thingsthatneverhappened

damn was the ar-7 always so sexy or its just the paracord?

This is why I keep chamber flags in my .22s

What's the big deal? Springs don't wear out by being under tension.

>Springs don't wear out by being under tension.

Shh..If you listen carefully, you can here Jow Forums autists all over the world typing out their replies

There is a swaging tool available that removes those burrs.

youtube.com/watch?v=aqUZwIf0J2k

THAT'S THE WAY IT IS

/thread

looks like a browning to me. I have a browning that I bought used that has the same depression

I would just like to point out that not all guns allow this. My remington speedmaster 552 has a charging handle that doesn't allow you to ride it forward

Attached: IMAG0779.jpg (2688x1520, 876K)