Sharpening Thread

Lansky or Workshop for someone beginning to learn how to sharpen knives? Also, show your sharpening equipment

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 119K)

Lansky’s are cheap enough. I only use benchstones at work because i butcher for a grocery store and the company mandates that is all you can use

>pic related
Lansky edge

Attached: BFFC2363-3C21-4CE1-AE82-74BD0DFACBA9.jpg (1536x2048, 605K)

I never did understand the sharpening faggitry. Its not rocket science, get a $20 stone and get it good enough to use. No point in over the top stuff.

I use Spyderco's tri-angle sharpener. It's not perfect for everything but it makes knife sharpening significantly easier and more consistent. I have a two-sided Lansky puck for my axes.

Attached: 1483663412830.jpg (720x540, 48K)

Grab a basic Lansky kit, a smith' s diamond stone w/Orange plastic backing, and a smith' s Arkansas stone.

For a completely dull blade, start at the bottom of the lansky kit and work your way to the Arkansas stone. Remember that too much oil is better than too little and that it takes time and patience to sharpen efficiently and effectively.

At work so no photos. I just use a sharpening puck and oil. And a gun cloth and/or rust pads for cleaning/polishing. If I'm cleaning my swords I'll polish them up with some renaissance wax.

>being an unashamed brainlet
Sure, that's fine if you're just swinging your knives around in your mom's back yard, but if you're actually using them for skinning and butchering you'll want to use a properly sharpened knife.

You know just as well as I that OP isnt sharpening his boning knives, he's spending hours putting stupid edges on his spiderco so he can open letters.

True... How could I forget OP is a faggot

I "know" how to sharpen knives and can sharpen a straight edge fine but put a curve on it and I can't sharpen for shit.
Also, I know the perfect sharpening tool, not a stone, but they don't make it anyway.

also you a butcherfag? Spent a year in boning room and another in packing.

OP here and is right and is kinda right too in that I only have use for sharpening my EDC knives and my /out/ tools but since I'm a complete noob I was wondering what system would be good to learn on

Nah, just hunt moose with a bunch of old guys, so I get to do a lot of the heavy lifting.

a stone, maybe a steel and strop aswell. Go whetstone, oil is just messy and isnt any more effective. Dont overspend, get a $20 norton stone and use your grandaddys steel, make a strop if you can be bothered but its not really needed, its most for getting the edges good, a few strokes with the steel will do the same.

>make a T platform out of 2x4's to hold stone steady
>set up stone and brace under faucet
>fun faucet
>small concentric circles
>mind the angle you're grinding away at
>literal razor sharp is only good for chef work, butchering, or opening boxes, if that's what your using them for then give them that razor edge
>Utility edge is what you're most likely going to want to achieve for general use (wider angle on the edge helps prevent it from curling or chipping)

Nowadays I just use a Lansky puck with oil or a knife sharpener if I just need a quick, serviceable edge.

Attached: how I learned.png (601x585, 285K)

Neither

1x30" 600/1000/strop belt sander if you want to go mechanical. The cheap Chinese ones are literally cheaper than a full worksharp kit and the belt sets for knife sharpening last 10x as long.

Arkansas stones/Nippon water stones and git gud scrub for manual sharpening. Plus a strop for European style or a 20k+ grit finishing stone for jap

For innafield a diamonds tone sharpener is passable but "just keep your fucking knife sharpened" means a pocket stone is a meme and pointless.

Most of the stonefags I know irl are the biggest snobs about it

Bastard file the majority of the time, and a wetstone got added in to the tool box a couple years ago to smooth it out after.
I tried picking up a couple different things that should put a specific angle on a blade but haven't tested them out yet.
Oil is to lubricate it, you're going to get metal dust anyway. I use whatever not even oil but like clp anything like that. You can do it without it but it just seems faster and better with wetting it to me. Also seems easier to judge how much I've taken off since the dust sticks to it and piles up.

I use mostly whetstones, but I got myself two DMT diamond plates and I realy enjoy the comfort they provide. No longer soaking in water and no need to constantly wet the stones.

Forgot Picture

Attached: scharf.jpg (4640x3480, 3.54M)

Post the last knife you sharpend and/or polished

I go ahead, cheap 50€ Enzo necker

Attached: IMG_20180524_230515.jpg (4640x3480, 3.17M)

Wet stones are for refining it. What do you do if it gets a burr?

Sweet polishing on the bevel

I don't know what you mean, so I guessing after googletranslator.

If my whetstones loose there ideal form, I got one stone to get them straight again
>pic related

If you meant, how I remove "burr" from the knife, I simply use lether strops with fine compound.

Thanks, took me a while to get it this shiny

Attached: flat whetstones-min.jpg (4640x3480, 3.58M)

Whetstones are for all stages of sharpening, I guess if its super duper fucked it might be faster on a belt sander, but just get like a 600 grit stone to clear burr's and set edges.

I guess I understand is right

I just sharpend an old pocket knife for a friend.
I just used a 400grit stone to even the blade, then used higher grit stones from 1000-3000 to get a better finish.

>pic is befor I started

Attached: IMG_20180525_163453.jpg (4640x3480, 3.26M)

>after sharpening

Attached: IMG_20180525_200207-min.jpg (4640x3480, 3.32M)