Question for you bullet casters out there

How do you recycle lead from plated bullets? Do you have to cut each bullet open to let the lead flow out? That sounds laborious and tedious.

Attached: Plated vs FMJ.jpg (1256x598, 445K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fTRwfyvIbkc?t=3m18s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Copper floats on molten lead

I already know that, but if the copper completely encloses the lead, as it does with plated bullets, there's no way for the lead to get out.

Yes. Pliers work well to open them up with.

Read the question again.

Damage from firing means the lead will seep out when molten.
Yuo can also just disolve the copper into solution

>Yes. Pliers work well to open them up with.
That sounds like a lot of work. I don't cast bullets, but I try not to use plated bullets out of consideration for the casters who may one day be harvesting my range scrap.
>Damage from firing means the lead will seep out when molten.
Would hitting an earthen berm be enough to break the copper plating?
>Yuo can also just disolve the copper into solution
What solution?

Just smash them with a hammer to rupture the copper plate.

Yes. Even the rifling cutting into the plating is usually enough.
The liquid lead solution.
A bit of tin is used in most alloys to allow the bullets to cast better. Copper will redily disoolve in the presence of tin. It will still dissolve in lead but at a slower rate and to a lesser amount.

You know that the lead expands when it becomes molten, breaking the plating of the bullet, which if fired is likely already compromised.

Dude, "floats on molten lead".
What part about melting it down did you not get. LITERALLY MELT THE BULLET AND PULL THE COPPER OFF THE TOP.

What part of lead in the bullet is completely enclosed by copper don't you understand? Look at the diagram in the OP. Look at the bullet on the left.

Explain to me why you wouldn't melt the one on the left down. Melted copper=liquified=malleable=easy to separate the two compounds.

>Melted copper
Copper has a melting power far higher than you are likely to achieve in your backyard unless you have serious equipment.

> with hammer
2easy

also, range lead usually is all smashed up anyway. melt it and the jackets float off

>I try not to use plated bullets out of consideration
^_^ he thought about me

no, but it's fine. shoot whatever

>That sounds like a lot of work.
I mean... if you say so, that's just part of the process though? On a good portion of bullets without an open jacket the jacket will still break open enough so it's not even like people have to sit there opening the jacket of every bullet they find.

youtu.be/fTRwfyvIbkc?t=3m18s

You are as dumb as a brick. Holy shit m8.

Attached: F05B16CA-18D5-46AB-B952-36FBB9781B02.jpg (570x845, 83K)

>not an argument
>posts a denier of the South African genocide
Get out.

I don't reuse lead. I collect my own bullets and other's (if they don't mind), collect it and bring it to a dedicated recycler, they give me cash for it. I've got an address for unused roofing lead (1 or 2mm thick) or bricks, which has proven to be pure. Sure, I lose 30-40%, but that's worth a good, consistent quality and not having to sit with my head right over the fumes of my already-shot lead, which is contaminated with gunpowder, oil and dirt.

>Cleaning all the bullets in his kitchen sink.

What an animal.

The jacket is paper thin. The 9mm 124gr I use are .008" thick. Just hit them with a hammer or old axe to break the jacket.

what is melting point of lead?
What is melting point of copper?

Since it's relevant, is there anything "wrong" with using plated bullets for cheap practice ammo? Or does it fuck up the barrel?

As long as they're from a reputable manufacturer and you're not loading super spicy rounds, there's nothing wrong.

>what is melting point of lead?
About 622 F
>What is melting point of copper?
About 1984 F

Melting lead in your back yard is easy. Melting copper? Not so much.

You cannot be this dense

Use bolt cutters

Bragging about selling range lead other people could cast. Instead it goes to India.

You stupid mother fucker

Faggot

Aight, mostly just want something that'll go "kaboom" and hit relatively accurately. Thanks user