Anti-air guns

Post MANPADS, SPAAG, and >SAMs. Nothing political just post and discuss AA.

The FIM-92 Stinger is a Man-Portable Air-Defense System (MANPADS) that operates as an infrared homing surface-to-air missile (SAM). It can be adapted to fire from a wide variety of ground vehicles and helicopters (as an AAM). Developed in the United States, it entered service in 1981 and is used by the militaries of the United States and by 29 other countries.

Attached: D33D78DF-6F6E-4DBA-A202-8D179C7690EA.jpg (600x400, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o9qGiJgfSVg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Whats with the box thing beside the stinger?

Are there any documented or known accounts of people using AA on a ground vehicle ? I don't mean cannons and MGs, but things like IGLA and Stingers.

Obviously they're not as effective but wouldn't getting an AA rocket blown up right next to you be like.. bad for you health ?

I’m guessing it’s how you lock onto a target.

I had a LAAD guy attached to my unit for a field excessive. He said that they are capable of targeting ground vehicles. I don’t recall ever hearing any stories of it actually happening though.

Starstreak is designed to engaged ground targets if necessary. Mach 3 darts will fuck up most things

Attached: Starstreak manpad variant.jpg (3216x2136, 1.46M)

Hello faggots, I am a former LAAD gunner. LAAD faggots have never fired their stingers in its entire existence at anything. However LAAD has done groundside shit in iraq and afghanistan

the boxed shaped thing is an antennae used with the IFF belt pack which is used to beam a signal to aircraft.

Well why don’t you guys ever shoot at anything. There’s been plenty of war to go around. Also how many rockets does the usual LAAD guy fire in a 4 year enlistment?

I mean... it's still a missile, I wouldn't want it to blow up anywhere near me.

Also how exactly does one of these explode ? Is it a direct impact explosion or stand-off and shoots a bunch of shit at the target ?

I know I can google this but it's more fun to talk to Jow Forumsomrades about it.

Because 2nd LAAD never goes to any combat deployments these days because our CO's were fags or something. And in a 4 year enlistment? Maybe 3? It depends on how lucky you are. You fire one in the school house, and once a year or so there might be a Stinger shoot at Atlantic or something. I was somewhat unlucky and only fired one fucking stinger.

AA is for things in the sky.

We haven't had to "worry" about things in the sky for like 20 fuckin years.

Seems like a waste of a unit. Do you guys have any vehicle mounted AA?

It has a small cylinder in the missle itself thats about 8 pounds or something of c4 equivalent explosive. The Stinger is strictly designed to disable aircraft with a fragmenting explosive. Ideally it does explode on impact if i remember right. I'd have to dig out my manuals on the thing again to be completely sure.

We used to have things called avengers which were humvees with two missle pods holding 4 stingers on a turrent in the back.

Thats because the US never and will not fight a near peer enemy in a long time. As unused at it is, Low altitude air defense is a far more effective asset then it seems. A good example is the Vietnam War, where the NVA forces got really good at GBAD when going up against the US. Another good one is one of those israel/ Arab League wars. Yom Kippur I think? Where the Egyptians integrated SAMs and triple A to fuck up the israelies.

I can't say I know of any documented cases of dedicated MANPADS systems being used against ground targets, but keep in mind that they aren't really the best for that sort of thing. Fair enough they may be better than nothing, but there are a lot of disadvantages to these weapons as compared to even smaller, less advanced ATGMs and rocket launchers.
If you're going to be shooting at something with a missile like this, odds are it will be a semi-hardened, fairly large target. A proximity-fuze missile is designed to get close and blow up, doing damage through fragmentation in all directions like a elongated grenade (as opposed to focusing the blast energy forward of the missile as in a shaped-charge weapon). As such, there is no real design features to allow the weapon to penetrate a target, thus it will do little to all but the lightest fortifications and vehicles.
Furthermore, any force equipped with proper MANPADS will more than likely also be equipped with some manner of proper tank/bunker-busting weapon.

>tl:dr SAMS go really fast to hit things that also go really fast and have no armor. This is not a common need in most surface-to-surface engagements.

I've heard that stingers have a "library" of IFF built in so that they're unable to be used against us ever. Is this true/semi-true?

Well to put it simply there's temporary data put into the IFF belt packs which are aligned with whatever IFF shit friendly/allied aircraft might have. THey're good for only a certain period of time and change every so often. You'd have to ask a comm guy I think to get more info on this. We only read about it as LAAD gunners and never used the shit even in training. We're told to IFF targets though, which I personally don't like doing. Since it sends a radar signal to an aircraft basically giving your position away.

Plus good luck aiming too since you have to super elevate with stingers.

Along with needing a fairly substantial heat source, or radar signature. Even a tank's exhaust isn't nearly as hot as a jet engine, and a tank is a hell of a lot easier to hide from radar than an aircraft in flight.

Do Iglas and Russian equivalents not have an IFF feature? And would it be possible to turn off the Stinger's IFF thing?

pls don't kick my door down FBI I'm just asking because I'm curious

Attached: 1920px-IGLA-S_MANPADS_at_IDELF-2008.jpg (1919x1190, 247K)

The IFF is this box shaped thing with a cord you plug into the gripstock of the stinger, so you can operate it without it if you wanted. As for the russian equivalents I'm not entirely sure, they never bothered training or educating us on those things in the marines.

Manpads fall under the second amendment and the far banning of them and further nfa regulation by the atf and refusal of companies to sell them to civilians is a clear violation.

*FAA*

Any point in having a mobile radar for your MANPADS? I believe the Russians have mounted the one on this pic on an air droppable SUV so they can be used on the field.

Attached: _3_m_jpg_1469427261.jpg (1564x1238, 374K)

>you see tovarish, when shine radar in all directions glowing like tree of christmas, you will not have to worry about attracting jets toward your position

Attached: 1479652582039.jpg (600x800, 94K)

Actually, I saw in older manuals LAAD was supposed to have those too. They're supposed to assist in situational awareness in detecting aircraft in the area. The issue is i guess cost in operating the equipment, as well as a radar signal will give away your position to airacraft.

How does this make you feel?

Attached: itohj.jpg (1920x1080, 431K)

>Using HARM on a squad level radar

Oh wow it sure is summer.

>implying an F-35 won't be able to track the emitter and put an SDB on it

>F-35
sure it is

Fuck that looks clumsy.

It's normally fired from a dedicated vehicle or a stand mount like this.

Attached: Starstreak LML.jpg (3726x2693, 2.81M)

That looks pretty rad. Where was this?

Afghanistan - prototype stingers

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 98K)

minecraft XD

Attached: 6130DBA9-D7B6-43D8-B8F2-8BE91F908654.jpg (885x600, 164K)

is that a model?

I’m not sure. I was in an LAR battalion, and these were phased out long before I got there.

anti aircraft lav

What is the purpose of a thermal battery? Also what is it?

Cupholder

*Detects and destroys your stealth crafts*
*relocates in 5 mins before HARMs reach it*
*Resists your jamming attempts*
*Pantsirs destroys HARMs anyway*
*Overcomes saturation attacks with up to 86 S-3/400 missiles at a time*

You even trying NATO?

Attached: NebuM.png (768x472, 122K)

radar will help que them to where aircraft are coming from. radar has a lot longer range than an MANPAD

That being said, the MANPAD is still using IR guidance

Anti-Air missiles are designed to fly near aircraft and shred the target with shrapnel, because it doesn't take much to fuck up a fuselage bad enough to bring down the whole thing, sort of works like flak, it doesn't need contact to be effective.

Yes, if you happened to have one explode next to you naturally it would be bad for your health.

However, it is more desirable to have missile or rockets that are designed for destroying hardened targets like Tanks or APC's as they are typically equipped with some sort of shaped charge and need to make contact with the vehicle.

moderndaypolishmissiledefense.jpg

most operate with point detonation fuzes. some have a timeout function and will explode after XX seconds. only more advanced ones will have proximity fuzes

>What is the purpose of a thermal battery?
To provide electricity when the missile is in flight

>Also what is it?
It's a kind of energy storage device that's only active when the solid electrolyte core is melted by an external heat source.
In their inert solid state they have a much longer shelf-life than normal batteries, so are a more reliable source of electrical power for pre-packaged munitions.
The battery is activated by the launch unit and then provides power to the missile for the duration of its operation.

>Mach 3

Underselling it, mate. Starstreak will be doing Mach 4 before its even gotten 4 metres out the tube.

Royal Artillery has the popular saying "Starstreak doesn't fire. It just fucks off."

Attached: Starstreak.jpg (1280x825, 37K)

youtube.com/watch?v=o9qGiJgfSVg

For those who want to see just how fast this fucking missile launches.

Pic is from a finnish exercise, I think the purpose of the platform is to raise the shooter above forest canopy

>HARM is the only thing in the world that has passive radar detection guise!
>s-summer!
oh I am laffing

Attached: xwlv7e6s3f3z.png (1024x1416, 1.53M)

It also contains argon gas to cool the seeker head too while you're tracking and shit

>(((FAA)))

u hold extra ammo on it

huh, it really does just fuck off