0311 crayon-fag here...

0311 crayon-fag here. I'm reenlisting into EOD with hopes of eventually becoming a Marsoc enabler but my regiment's RSTAC just offered me a seat in scout sniper school (set in stone in my contract) if I just reenlist straight leg infantry.

Dilemma here is that Scout Sniper has been something I've been working towards for years (was a DM, then passed SS indoc, was then a JFO with STA until I got moved to a TRAP/VBSS team) but EOD seems cool as fuck and they're offering a fat bonus. What're your thoughts?

Attached: halp.jpg (771x850, 131K)

go EOD, you stay 0311 this time you will never get another shot

EOD.

Thats what I'm leaning towards but I just wanna make sure I'm not just being retarded

He'll never get another shot at 0317 either, which is something he's been apparently been working towards for years. EOD is probably more lucrative career-wise but its not always about the money.

S C O U T S N I P E R

Money is a massive factor for me. Both are highspeed so at this point it basically just boils down to the bragging rights of being a Scout Sniper or the money and career opportunities of going EOD

Well, if you go EOD you can make several hundreds of thousands of dollars per year in the civi world after you retire with a ton of military EOD experience. 0317 will allow you to walk on to pretty much any PMC and make similar amounts of money, but it will definitely be a less reliable income source and less stable career, especially if you ever plan to have a family. Also, EOD experience should get your foot in the door with quite a few of these PMCs as well, so if that is the road you wanted to go down after leaving service it would still be open to you anyway.

It really comes down to a question that only you are qualified to answer for yourself OP: How badly do you want Scout Sniper? Despite all of the pros that EOD has over it, There is no denying that the prestige and glory of getting 0317 is far greater. If you are one of those true warriors who wants to test himself, if that is something that is important to you, I could definitely understand you going for that option.

t. former 0311 4-year enlistment who never aspired to be anything greater and left after his first contract

what unit did you do your first enlistment in btw? pic related for me

Attached: threeeight.jpg (191x264, 11K)

3/1 my dude. SS definitely has way more social pull and bragging rights but from everything I've heard and seen EOD will be just as challenging. Its a fucking hard choice bro

Attached: 3rdbn1stmarines-11-oz-mug-6.png (200x201, 13K)

Yeah it is definitely a hard choice, but I'm sure you will succeed at either. You seem driven. Much more than I was. I wasn't a shitbag and I pulled my own weight but i was never a superstar like you.

Did you get any good deployments in your first contract? I'd imagine there's not much action for grunts these days but hopefully you still got to go somewhere cool and see a part of the world you wouldnt have otherwise seen. I left in 2012 because I saw peacetime coming and wanted no part of it. I'm just happy I got to do 2 combat tours and a MEU in my 4 years. I got in right at the tail end of the good ole days when there were too many deployments and not enough units.

Attached: DSCF0482_1.jpg (1127x845, 376K)

>forwarning: I have never enlisted, nor do i have any sort of military experience.

Me personally, I would choose sniper. Maybe. EOD would be fuckin cool, (and as other anons have mentioned, there may be more after the service,) but dying or losing things in explosions scare the fuck out of me. Especially roadside bombs.

But on the plus side, you would see some pretty fuckin sweet explosions. EOD would be much more hands on.

There was a really sweet documentary series that came out a couple years ago where a camera crew followed around an EOD unit. Showed what they did. Im sure you could find it if you poke around on the net, if I remember the name ill come back and post it.

Attached: 1C13BB7C-3C7D-48A7-877C-533A235EEDEF.jpg (500x334, 76K)

Lol you were definitely in during a good time and made a good call getting out. I was with FAST at first and went to Pacom and mainly fucked around in the Philippines and only took IDF and a single VBIED. (fake operator shit fast is gay dont wanna talk about it plz dont bully) after that I went to 5th fleet on a VBSS team and did counter piracy off the coast of Africa and didnt do or see shit other than train retard Jordanians and Emirates. I'm about to punch out on the 13th meu though so that should be cool. Syria and Africa are poppin right now for elements like mine

Dude I was on the 26th MEU in 2010 and we went to Jordan to train their Army too. Did you go to that small base on the outskirts of Amman? I forget the name of it but there was a huge parachute training tower just outside of the base you would definitely know what I'm talking about if you were there(pic related).

After we finished training the Jordanians we got to use KASOTC for 10 days on our own. It was fucking awesome, by far the best training I ever did. Did you guys get to go there?

Attached: IMG_0032.jpg (4320x3240, 3.28M)

Yeah man I think I was in the same place. I didnt get to go out to their big ass training place though. I was giving the idiots classes on MOUT and machine gun employment

Nah man outside opinions are definitely welcome. If you figure out the name of the show I'll definitely look it up

huh small world. You said you were doing counter-piracy shit near Africa right? Did you ever go to Djibouti? We spent 3 weeks there before going to Jordan. We did some cross training with the French Foreign Legion on their desert survival courses. Those guys can fucking hump.

Also did they let you guys go to Petra and the Dead Sea in Jordan? After we finished all of our training they scheduled these two "field trips" for us while we were waiting a few days for transpo out of the country. It was fucking awesome.

Attached: DSCF0337_1.jpg (1600x1200, 680K)

Here we go. I found it.

I dont really like tv that much, but this is one of my favorite series ever.

Attached: A0023C17-CC3F-43EA-BBBF-28DF6EA99444.png (1242x2208, 868K)

I was only in Jordan for about a month and we never got to do anything cool like sight seeing. I was mainly on container ships going through Hormuz or going near Somalia. The piracy threat is practically nonexistent now though so us being there was pointless. Did you ever go to Bahrain? Now thats a party.

Attached: DSCF0158.jpg (4608x3456, 3.49M)

Fuck yeah I'll definitely check it out. Thanks bro

I didn;t go to bahrain, but one of the other ships in our MEU went to Bahrain. Then their ship broke down while they were there so they got to stay there for an extra 8 days. We were all really jealous of Kilo company on that deployment.

Its practically Vegas bro

EODfag so slightly biased.
>go EOD
Its a fulltime gig peace and war, where peacetime sniper is still policecalling the carpark just with greater precision.
Oh, and there are still Barretts and Smud to be practicing your shooting.