Why would that be heavy?

Why is 11lbs consider to be HEAVY for a firearm. Are you guys seriously DYEL or S O Y boys if you can't fucking hold 11bs with BOTH arms for more than a minute.Give me a good excuse why then. Pic unrelated

Attached: 1517721926932m.jpg (1024x768, 184K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/w846UcmIo5o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Generally soldiers have to carry a few more items in the field than just a gun.

>why is 11lbs considered to be heavy for a firearm?
>why is 12 pounds considered to be heavy for a sleeping bag?
>why is 10 pounds considered to be heavy for a uniform?
>why is 5 pounds considered to be heavy for a helmet?
>why is 40 pounds considered to be heavy for body armor?
>why is...

It adds up.
Also try holding an 11lb gun at the ready for hours.
fuck you and your shit bait.

Well that a interesting argument, but this falls short because:
1. Those soldiers aren't carrying all that crap in their arms, they usually carry it in their backs or body.
2. Assuming that the majority of posters here have zero military experience and the only firearm training they get is innarange or hunting. Which by the way does not have you carry 100lbs worth of gear. So they really would no problem carrying that gun.

The obsession over how light a firearm can be is one of the most retarded aspects of firearm design. The priority of a weapon should be these things.
>reliability
A weapon needs to work this is the ABSOLUTE PRIORITY, nothing else matters.
>ease of mantainece/durability
All weapons require mantainece and parts replacement, if a weapon is hard to disassemble or fragile then it's nearly useless.
>accuracy
Not as important as the other two, but a accurate weapon makes it easier to hit, but this can be mitigated by rate of fire.
>weight
This is simply a comfort factor, only RangeRs complain about weight, try humping a M240 with 400 rounds of 7.62x51mm.

Yeah, but the top 3 are not concerns with modern firearms. That's why people are concerned with weight.

All that shit besides the 11lb firearm is just on your BODY to carry, not your fucking arms. The weight will affect your agile movement though, but then again soldiers are trained to withstand that shit. Also, do you wear a helmet, haul a sleeping bag, or even wear body armor to your local range?

Attached: 1526890255858.jpg (1024x1024, 104K)

I get that you are just being inflammatory, but for anyone actually wondering, every piece of gear ads up, and most soldiers end up carrying up to 150lbs of gear. If you shave off a little weight from each piece of kit you can reduce the overall weight by many pounds.

youtu.be/w846UcmIo5o

Attached: 1513039820685.jpg (1167x1920, 711K)

>Why is 11lbs consider to be HEAVY for a firearm.

Because my AR that has a light, red dot, sling and a full mag in it weighs just under 8lbs.

And it doesn't have a heavy 14.5 barrel so enjoy that loss of accuracy

8 pounds is heavy for a long gun. A lot of this weight stuff always assumes you're just picking it up once in a while and not hauling it around and doing everything with it 24/7. Everyone just thinks you magically pick up your gun when you need it and not that it's with you ALL the time for EVERYTHING you do, even sleeping with it. There is a huge assumption you're not moving a bunch of heavy shit and doing manual labor while carrying it around. If people that designed guns carried them around as much as people that used them, you'd see all sorts of different and new slings on the market and probably even scabbards.

Have you ever taken a gun anywhere thats not the range? As much as I love fudd rifles fuck having that on your shoulder during a 20km walk.

Attached: 25294704_1.jpg (1023x680, 50K)

Holy fuck don't go into the comment section.

My main Raifu is 12lbs fully dressed. The weight helps tame the recoil pretty well. I wouldn't want it lighter. It's not too bad to lug around hiking as long as you have your sling well balanced....i dunno are light rifles that much better?

>i dunno are light rifles that much better?
not necessarily for shooting, but when you carry it 24/7 along with a whole load of other gear it adds up, and as a result a lot of soldiers end up injured in some way or another from their daily loads.

>.i dunno are light rifles that much better?
Sort of. In a way the benefits are worth the trade offs, maybe. The thing is if you're not going to support it to fire on anything and have to hold it up. How long can you do that for? Try doing a bunch of heavy lifting before the hike, do some during or after, then try to use it without a supported position. Even in a supported position it's easy to get cramps. Being as still as possible can be just as challenging as doing any sort of heavy lifting.

>retarded aspects of firearm design
WRONG. The vast majority of time a soldier spends with his firearm is carrying it around.

Soldiers carry a lot of weight. Even if they were strong enough to lift the weight, they would destroy their joints, there is a limit on the human body. Not to mention you sacrifice speed. Even if you could move around with 300lb of shit, you would straight up be faster if you had 150 instead. Most of what soldiers do is move around.

>I have never walked anywhere: the post

Attached: 1403507545513.gif (314x178, 1.64M)

kek

Attached: 56C6C874-F697-48DE-A41A-3B956196D0BD.jpg (1242x501, 190K)

So,
For the soldier: lighter is better because they are humping alot of other shit

For the Hunter/outdoorsman:the rifle weight seems to not matter that much and can actually help with shootability.?

>dex fags

Attached: 1526867008466.png (382x994, 802K)

yeah, more or less, if you are a hunter you probably wont be humping around a hundred plus pounds without having set up camp first so having a heavy rifle is ok and the weight will tamp down the recoil, and make shooting more pleasant. For a soldier who is walking miles a day and jumping out of vehicles non stop, and having to run around in combat, any weight saved is good.

I'd still takes lighter weapon for hunting. Picked up a feather weight after my first pheasant trip because just like war you spend more time walking than shooting so recoil management is lower priority than having something I don't mind hauling around for five hours.

yeah, that's the beauty of civilian applications though, you choose your own gear.
military application you need to pick the same thing for everyone.

>whew this gun is light!
>oh shit contact front!
>click
>dies
Shut the fuck up faggot, real life isn't you walking to the bench, if you don't know how to carry a rifle properly (which you would learn if you actually ever did carry one) then you are just sad.

So beyond weight saved, keep a rifle aimed and at attention for an extended period (+5 minutes or so) without break, it gets easy to let it falter a bit and throw your aim off. So having to aim a 7 pound gun for a while is better than a 12 round gun. Plus the weight isn't as important re: Recoil due to better recoil systems now than 80 years ago

Carrying for long periods sucks, standing unsupported firing sucks. It's not "can I lift it", its "can I precisely point it for extended periods of time".

Its so magical though

Why is 300 lbs considered heavy for an adult male
Why is 300 lbs extra heavy for an adult female

t. underage larping faggaroni

Nobody's saying they can lift 11lbs. Just that if you have the choice between two rifles that are for all intents and purposes identically functional, but one weighs 6lbs and one weighs 11lbs, you would choose the 6lb one. Because you don't just have to stand around at the range, you have to hump that shit for miles and miles in the blazing heat and freezing cold while also carrying another 50-60lbs of gear on top of that.

>you need a fatass barrel to be accurate
hi gramps

>implying lightweight automatically equals unreliable
Holy fuck battle rifle tards are stupid. What's your IQ, like, 59?

>but then again soldiers are trained to withstand that shit
And they still issue complaints, so what was your point.

true, but with the increased use of suppressors and sustained fire rates, a pencil barrel will warp.

Only the strong survive.

Attached: cdc2cabe31e906925fe16ab1be0e72fd--ivan-moody.jpg (236x365, 15K)

>>but then again soldiers are trained to withstand that shit
>And they still issue complaints, so what was your point.
what this guy said

I used to work with a vet who did 2 tours in Afghanistan jumping out of helicopters, he blew out 3 discs in his back tore the cartilage in one of his hips and had an unknown knee injury. He ended up getting hooked on opiates that were prescribed for his injuries, he eventually managed to kick the habit when his girl got pregnant, but then he got breast cancer and got hooked on opiates again after getting surgery for it. he kicked the habit again but relapsed OD'd and died.

This was the first time I had heard about how bad soldiers were getting injured from heavy loads and daily rigors of being out in the field, and how common opiate addiction was as a result of all these injuries.

Opie obviously washed out of the military because he could not fit through the recruitment office door

In a high volume of fire military application yes. But 99% of civilians with semi-auto weapons will never need a heavy barrel outside of like, NRA Hi-Power.

I thought we were talking about the weight of military gear here?

weight is critically important

whether you're a soldier toting tuns of gear, or a civilian conceal carrying, too much weight is uncomfortable

Can’t wait for summer to end

Damn, why dosn' t the US military just reduced the weight of ruckpacks and gear. Do they think were all heavy weapons guy?
>Also thinking the majority of females will handle that shit.

Attached: 1527272099764.jpg (600x450, 43K)

Not OP, but I have seen people bitch about a guns weight even if isn't 30 pounds.

>Damn, why dosn' t the US military just reduced the weight of ruckpacks and gear. Do they think were all heavy weapons guy?
unfortunately its all been added on progressively and it's hard to take things away suddenly, back in ww2 armor wasn't much of a thing except for helmets, now a soldier might have 30lbs of armor, knee pads all sorts of various harnesses and gadgets, maps, calculators tools medical supplies and it goes on and on