Burying Guns

So every few months I see someone asking about burying guns. How to do it and what steps to take.

From this, I became curious and decided to run a little experiment of mine. I decided to bury one of my handguns on my property for approximately 8-9 months (buried in October 2017) just to see how it would last.

Some basic stats are as follows:
>gun is a polymer frame, steel slide Sig SP2022 in .40 S&W
>location is central Florida. We have had 3-4 freezes this year but general temp has been high 70s to high 80s Fahrenheit. Humidity relatively high and about 1 foot of rain in the last week alone.
>used a steel ammo can with good gasket. Buried about 2 feet deep in the upright position. Inside, the gun and two loaded mags were packed with marine grease and wrapped in plastic.

The whole cleaning process took about an hour using 91% rubbing alcohol. Pics incoming and feel free to ask questions.

I do intend to re bury the gun and this was initially a curiousity thing.

Attached: 20180528_182026-2268x3024.jpg (2268x3024, 1.98M)

Other urls found in this thread:

backwoodshome.com/bury-a-gun-and-ammo-for-15-years/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My Initial thoughts of the can were good. It was damp and somewhat wet when I pulled it from the earth. Notice the paint bubbling up on it. However, I did not find any rust (except for these small spots.) although I was very much expecting a lot more of it.

Attached: 20180528_182812-2268x3024.jpg (2268x3024, 1.21M)

While grease on the outside of the can was still present, it had lost its slimeyness and was more like paste. The grease inside however still looked as fresh as when I packed it. Seals looked great still as well.

Attached: 20180528_182842-2268x3024.jpg (2268x3024, 1.44M)

Wouldnt do unless its stainless and synthetic, oxide spreads like a plague

If it was up to me, I would use cosmoline, vacuum seal the fun, throw in tons of silica to prevent humidity amd put the steel case inside any plastic.

Upon removing the plastic, the gun was caked like the day I put it in. Both mags were loaded with grease between the rounds and the gun had grease stuffed in every opening. Filling the magwell and barrel also.

Attached: 20180528_183006-2268x3024.jpg (2268x3024, 1.66M)

Did it just to do. I was afraid moisture packs might dry out the grease and went for a moist grease to trap the water out. As you can see the gun geld up very well. I wouldnt know beyond 2 years though. Especially in my climate.

After cleaning the excess grease, I found so far that there was no rust. Gun looked very clean

Attached: 20180528_183507-2268x3024.jpg (2268x3024, 1.69M)

>.40 S&W
You should've left it buried.

You're retarded.

My last picture.. The grease has been about 96% cleaned off. There was still some between the cracks and crevices that I couldnt really get to but i am sure it will be fine. I fired a round into my backyard and the firearm looks and functions perfectly sound. No rust or even wear was found on the gun. Polymer seems to have held its strength.

Apolgies that the picture looks like ass btw. It was starting to get dark and my phone camera is bad.

Thats why I didnt mind testing my method with this gun senpai

Attached: 20180528_193206-2268x3024.jpg (2268x3024, 1.37M)

You're no fun and just plain an asswipe. I am sure people will get more use from this thread than the hundreds of other stupid ass threads that appear daily on here.

the military still has tons of ww1 weapons still sitting in grease

Neat thread, thanks for sharing the results! I'm curious how well vacuum sealing after a normal covering of storage grease, then ammo can with a few silica packets would work.

For those thinking of burying any long guns, use a pvc pipe. Use one that’s your desired size with a screw on cap and water sealed, then take a later one that the first pipe can fit into and use heavy duty pvc cement and standard end caps

I never thought about vacuum sealing but like I said, i would recomend against moisture packs if you intend to grease. I would think they would work against each other

What about burying ammo?

Not op but I’d probably triple vacuum seal it, then put it in a cab with a good gasket. Have a bunch of anti moisture packets inside under the vacuum sealing

I just lathered it in grease as well

Dessicants like silica gel packets probably aren't worth the effort. They can't really absorb that much water, about the same amount that if you're greasing and vacuum sealing, won't be a problem.

The only real reason to use them would be to get rid of the humidity in the air in the tube, which could otherwise condense in the cool environment when it's buried.

this. using any metal container is going to rust through eventually, in the case of OP's ammo can that process had already started after 8 months

When the time comes to bury your guns, that means the time to use them has come as well

Attached: D1469488-65F9-4ECE-8477-685B0E8331D3.jpg (1024x700, 106K)

op u done good. these fags are just assblasted.

Do not lather your ammo in grease or oil, it will effect the powder. To store ammo please vacuum seal it with a silica pack. I usually vacuum seal 2 boxes of handgun ammo or 4 boxes of rifle ammo together with a 5mg silica pack. After vacuum sealing I wrap in saran wrap to prevent the vacuum sealed bag from being damaged.

go shoot those rounds and report back on if they worked or not.

This is good advice. Steel ammo cans will degrade faster than a woman's looks after hitting 25. PVC will last literally over a hundred years without succumbing to moisture, and as long as the seal remain intact, so will everything inside.

Attached: 1316676608676.jpg (600x456, 39K)

Cool.

Attached: 1450128745680.jpg (720x720, 41K)

Would a plastic ammo can work?

Desiccants will not 'dry out' grease as the liquid in grease is oil, not water. It probably wouldn't help very much, though.

Just bury them in an oil drum like in the Turner Diaries

what grease did you use? Is that just calcium sulfonate marine grease?

Interesting test. Thank you for making the effort, OP!

Oh, one thing. A sealed pvc box is probably better than a metal box in one other regard; it's a lot harder to find with a detector. And hiding is the whole purpose of the thing, right?

Thanks
I fired 1 round and it was fine. I know thats no control but I intend to fire off the rest this weekend.

Didnt think this. Thanks

Yes.

It maybe an old wives tale, but I heard that salt will throw off metal detectors

If it had been true my (admittedly old) metal detector would not have been able to find stuff on the beach. But coins, keys and other small metal crap show up anyway. Anyway it's not my little old detector we are talking about hiding stuff from here, it's the equipment they keep in the ATF van.

So looks like PVC and a vacuum sealed greased up gun is a pretty good way to put things innadirt. Make me wonder what’s the best grease for this? Marine stuff is always good when moisture is a factor but any greasy anons know of something better?

Good thread! Thx op.

I want to try this with a pvc pipe and an old .22. I’ve just got to find a synthetic stock one for cheap.

What does it matter to you? It's not your gun and also it’s a fairly modern gun which im sure is still in production

Go to summer school, kid.

Isn't the grease a bit overkill? Seems like it'd be a real pain to clean

> disassemble gun
> put metal parts in Mason jar
> fill with mineral oil
> vacuum pack polymer parts

Grease submersion seems excessive for something that is supposed to be protected by its container (the box)

I dunno about that. Put something in a box and bury it, and you will need to worry about
- the chances of water or worse seeping in
- humidity from the air inside
- the possibility of the box materials reacting to the metal

Considering that you can't even trust water bottled in a plastic container for more than a certain period, some grease does not seem like a bad idea. Depends on the gun of course.

>you can't even trust water bottled in a plastic container for more than a certain period

You're not referring to a water bottle's expiration date are you?
That date refers to how long the bottle will last, not the water inside.

This seems reasonable

I think that deteriorating plastic is what he was getting at. Although, the primary culprit of decaying plastic is UV radiation, which shouldn't be a problem for a buried container.

Cosmoline

What do you think cosmoline is?

I knew a guy with a farm that had some shit buried. He used to collect beer caps and on walks of the fence rows he would throw them randomly everywhere. to mess with and overwhelm metal detectors.

Most plastics are water permeable. Even bottled water eventually evaporates through the bottle.
PVC and ABS are especially bad and empty pipes will have moisture migrate in if the soils are wet.

This would be a superior method. Pack it in grease and remove all the air. The only problem is that the hydraulic pressure of the grease could still trap some air inside, depending on how sturdy the grease is. If you are using just plain gun grease, however, it will be fine.

I've had a few in a skunk cabbage patch for decades. Checked on one last year like OP. Perfect shape, cleaned off excess cleaned barrel real quick and it put out a full clip no jam. Back in the mud!

So that's how it starts...

Attached: tmp_12901-Vault Postcard Wallpaper1159896721.jpg (800x600, 132K)

Tip to anyone who plans on burying PVC tube containers in the Midwest

Check your local frost lines first

You'd be surprised how easily a tube can rupture if it doesn't have constant pressure on the inside, and is burried too shallow.

You might be able to get away with extra thick tubing, but even then, should worry about how the extreme temps will affect the tube.

Nice thing is if your worried about regular metal detectors, they only usually go a meter deep, nowhere near as deep as most Midwest frost lines, and if they're using a two box geological set, you're screwed unless you've also lead lined your tube.

It's definitely a pain in the ass having to dig a five or six foot deep hole, and it'd be next to impossible to dig your guns up in the winter in any case, but it's better than losing them to rust because your tube ruptured and spring flooded and froze them into bad rappers.

Well, looks like the vault of the future to me. To be precise, that looks like the blueprints for Tora Bora.

Go away, Rumsfeld.

backwoodshome.com/bury-a-gun-and-ammo-for-15-years/

Read this. That's all.

>backwoodshome.com/bury-a-gun-and-ammo-for-15-years/

Thanks for the link, it was an interesting read.

bump

It’s smart to have a back up or two for when it does hit the fan. That way, if you’re caught off guard and can’t make it home, for any reason, you had something to fall back to.

Not that user. But I am an industrial maintenance tech. Not all grease is the same, some works better for things than others

douse in cosmoline
put in wood crate
put crate in hole in ground
bury

Truth. I worked in the S2 shop at fort huachuca and as a result was forced to take inventory of weapons. Counted saws and M16s until I found locked room. No key, but S2 said to force the lock since he was curious too. Pretty empty room except for a half rack of 1903s and one Krag rifle. A wooden box had 3 doughboy helmets and one of those ammo belts. The US Army is the chief hoarder around.

For reference for my Jow Forumsomrads, an ak or an AR will fit in a 5" id PVC pipe. Disassembled of course. The carry handle ars will need the handle removed and the ak will need the grip removed

Stop being a faggot and go lift weights right now, you faggot.

The can is the weak point. It will eventually rust away. To avoid that, paint the entire can with a generous coat of Plasti-dip. Do the outside after you’ve filled and sealed the can, paying special attention to joints.

>Bury gun
>Bury multiple homemade land mines around gun
That’ll teach those metal detecting nerds coming for my 2A.

Jesus fucking Christ dude

Attached: 1526911226389.gif (500x500, 2.26M)

Don't use Silica or descant use O2 absorbers that remove the oxygen.

An O2 absorber is just a permeable packet filled with Iron powder and the oxydation of the pure iron uses up the Oxygen in your container safe for food ammo and firearms

I understand why you packed things the way you did, but why didn't you pack the container in something else? Like plastic a "time container" type thing,

typo i meant a "time capsule" container

bump

>one of the few threads that are genuinely interesting and original
>almost all other threads are either bait, shitposting, or irrelevant to Jow Forums
What is your problem? Did your mom's boyfriend bury your guns?

>drinking water out of disposable plastic bottles

shiggydiggy, hope you boys like xenoestrogens

>"time container"

sounds expensive

>not going with a 9” and filling every loose gap with ammo

this, this thread is actually interesting, and a lot less shit than another dozen mini 14 or 9mm vs 45 acp threads.

My father used to make caches for the PIRA back in the 70's from polyethylene oil tanks. Don't know how effective they were

Provos are welcome here

Grease made specifically for preserving materiel.

Well it's a preservative wax specifically designed for the purpose you're looking to fulfill, so what's your problem?

If SHTF hard enough that you need to rely upon your hidden cache of buried guns, then cleaning some grease is the least of your problems.