Henry Single Shot help

I’ve decided to get a Henry steel single shot rifle because I think it would be a nice, simple heirloom to leave to hypothetical grandchildren one day and they seem like great quality and very durable. But what caliber would be best for a purchase for that purpose? 45-70 probably not because of availability and price not to mention it’s a heavy kick for a girl or pussy future boy. I’m thinking .223 or .44 magnum make the most sense.
Does anyone know how the barrel life of a .44 mag rifle is compared to .223? Also would the recoil be substantially more than .223?

Attached: 2C139052-8C89-4145-97A7-FE7C90BFC125.jpg (300x225, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ruger.com/products/no1/models.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Those are all good choices. Do you ever plan on cutting one down or using it yourself for hunting? 45-70 can be loaded pretty light and has dedicated and growing cult following. As long as there's a levergun, there will be 45-70. 44 mag is intresting and would be light kicking but it's a max 200 yard cartridge, and in this platform it loses to coolness of high capacity in lever guns.

.223 is a great choice if you wanted to cut it down and have a handy non punishing light game rifle or just a fun plinker or just leave it as is. 223 will be around for at least another century.

Tldr: 45-70 if you want to pass down a big game rifle abd plan to teach reloading, 223 if you want a medium game kicker that's easy to shoot.

Attached: 6e37688f-d0ba-453d-b259-ff6125aa77f7.jpg (402x500, 16K)

I'd go Chad .45-70 so that way they look up to it as a challenge to grow into and it will always serve a purpose.

Do they make 'em in 300 winchester magnum?

>Those are all good choices. Do you ever plan on cutting one down or using it yourself for hunting? 45-70 can be loaded pretty light and has dedicated and growing cult following. As long as there's a levergun, there will be 45-70.
I don’t really hunt outside of the occasional varmint and if I decided to I have a 30-06 I could use.
>44 mag is intresting and would be light kicking but it's a max 200 yard cartridge, and in this platform it loses to coolness of high capacity in lever guns.
That’s a great point. Might not be as interesting a choice as a single shot.
>.223 is a great choice if you wanted to cut it down and have a handy non punishing light game rifle or just a fun plinker or just leave it as is. 223 will be around for at least another century.
I think that’s what I’m leaning towards
>Tldr: 45-70 if you want to pass down a big game rifle abd plan to teach reloading, 223 if you want a medium game kicker that's easy to shoot.
Thanks user!

The rifle won't be special if it's not a rifle you didn't use all the time. It's just another gun.
If you don't shoot it to get the barrel hot, 44mag and even 223 have a nearly infinite barrel life

True, but I think learning to shoot and having fun (which 45-70 is not for everyone) is enough of a purpose.
No. Right now they make .44 mag, 45-70, .223, .243 and .308.

.308 would be pretty good for all-around utility.

My father and grandfather did not own guns. My brother taught me to shoot and he is now teaching his kids to shoot with his guns. I’m hoping to do the same with my kids and grandkids since we never got that experience.
>If you don't shoot it to get the barrel hot, 44mag and even 223 have a nearly infinite barrel life
Thanks you that is very helpful info. Now that won’t have to be much of a factor between those rounds.

My only concern with the .308 is that this is a light gun and so that might be a lot of recoil for smaller shooters

You could always load it lighter. It's not like it needs to cycle a gas system or anything, so you have a lot more flexibility in load development.

That’s a good point, hadn’t really considered that.

what the fuck is wrong with Jow Forums?

get it in 30-30 you fucking pussy

I got this H&R .357 magnum single shot. I really enjoy it but would say it's limited to about 100 yards without hand loads.

Attached: IMG_20170426_205758_583.jpg (2592x1944, 1.15M)

Henry Single Shot doesn't come in .30-30

Attached: Dumbass.jpg (250x300, 42K)

I already listed the available cartridges, for some reason Henry does not (yet anyway) make it in 30-30
That looks pretty nice. They are out of production though right?
I saw the Henry at a gun show recently and really loved the finish on the thing so I am pretty set on one of them.

>2065
>Milsurp prices astronomical
>semi-auto rifles defacto banned/highly regulated
>grandpa left me a gun
>hope it's an antique, maybe a mauser or maybe even an AK!
>progeny handed rusty single shot Fudd rifle
>"grandpa was a faggot"

Don't be a fucking snowflake user. Single shot? So you have to make every shot count, and hit hard.

REAL FUCKING NATO is the only answer.

I already own an AK and several ARs as well as several bolt guns. I’m just looking for something classy and simple. These things have nicer bluing and walnut than I have seen on a newer production rifle for this price in a long time.

Also consider the Ruger No. 1 series of rifles.
You may not be a fan of the looks tho, but offers other caliber choices.

ruger.com/products/no1/models.html

In that case leave them an ak or ar as well. Also think what rounds would likely be available potentially 40+ years from now. I'd go with .308 as it will likely remain common for sporting use, plus 7.62x51 is still in useby the military (and will likely be for some time) so there'll be a huge surplus supply.

>implying anyone that would own a single shot henry would ever get laid
your premise - i think i found fault with it

This, it ain't happening user

.44 mag would be a great cartridge, but 223/5.56 is so cheap and plentiful, I would choose that. If you dont hunt, 45-70 is overkill except they dont come in brass in any calibers but the 45-70 and 44 mag.

I've been thinking about this myself, and decided I'm going to get one in .243 - it's relatively common and cheap, very accurate, and powerful enough to reliably (and legally) take a deer, but with minimal recoil.

I actually do love them but they are pricey
True but this applies to .223 as well, for now atleast.
I’m married and we are planning on having a baby soon, that’s not an issue
Thanks. The cheapness and compatibility of .223 as well as range vs the fun of .44 as well as the uniqueness (like I said I have ARs) is my debate at the moment.
Nice user. My only issue with the .243 is I have always been told it is rough on barrels

If you have ars get a brass one in .44 incase you ever get a hankering for a super blackhawk.

Leave them a nice 357 revolver and lever gun combo.

That is a good idea but
This actually has me seriously considering it

Get something like a Sharps or Rolling Block instead. Are they more expensive? Yes, but it's a gun you'll actually want to use and something your kids and grandkids will actually be excited to own.