Trebuchet vs Catapult

Memes aside, which would win and why?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 25K)

Catapult are more versatile, trebuchet are purely static siege machines designed to pound walls. Catapult would win because it has a higher rate of fire and can be moved before the trebuchet can fire back at it.

New scenario: trebuchets can now move as quickly as catapults.

Trebuchets would still in a fist fight because they are bigger.

>bendy stick vs. a beautifully engineered gravity cannon

Attached: 1346690993236.jpg (647x580, 107K)

But it can't, it uses a heavy as fuck counter weight instead of a spring.

Depends what you're using it for. If you want to use like a Age of Empires style, take down the wall siege engine, the trebuchet wins hands down. But the other forms of catapults have their place as well.

the correct answer is of course, neither.
ballista is the superior weapon of siege.

ok but just imagine dude

you're a fucking moron

a catapult is like a chad trebuchet desu

Why use a shoot a big arrow when you can throw a motherfucking rock?

Different weapons for different roles

Trebuchets are a far more effective siege weapon. Compared to a torsion, tension, or leaf spring catapult, they are far more easily constructed and maintained.

Spring energy catapults were finicky, and prone to variations in their tensioned fibers due to moisture and rot
Meanwhile, trebuchets built from antiquity and medieval era materials could easily outrange catapults flinging similar payloads, and could do so more accurately, non-stop, for as long as was needed. Perfect for sieges.

Catapults and ballista were speciality weapons for specialty roles. You don't knock down a wall with a ballista, but you can outrange an archery with one, and have the weapon trained on the gap in a parapet, just waiting for a head to pop out. Similarly, a Roman onager catapult which threw a stone the size of a softball 500 meters won't obliterate heavy fortifications, but the war machine is small and mobile enough to be used on a battlefield, and that stone is perfectly capable of smashing dead a heavily armored cataphract.

Attached: tmp_2708-ebf184dc7db5077d6e229ed4994250d51206825102.jpg (800x518, 157K)

Just watch the witcher 2 opening segment and tell me that you wouldn't want to have sex with a trebuchet.

That's a catapult, my dude.

Attached: tmp_2708-Screenshot_20180531-1132531561792348.png (1920x1080, 1.37M)

The counterweight trebuchet was clearly superior technology, invented over a millennium later than the torsion catapult: more scalable, easier to construct, easier to maintain, less sensitive to weather.

Oh I meant the opening segment, when you walk out of the tent.
My bad, my dude.

Really sorry, I can't find anyone who took a proper look at the trebs.
Basically, when you exit the tent you see this massive camp with hundreds of tents below you, and these absolutely gigantic trebuchets constantly firing at the place in the distance.

Wrong, the siege tower is master race.

Attached: C2E8180C-3CC1-479B-87CD-9F6399ACD723.jpg (768x488, 116K)

Reasonable comments? gtfo

>catapults are chad
only for launching nets of enemy skulls, melee is real chad

Attached: eric-polak-battering-ram.jpg (800x701, 105K)

I found this image from a video clip.
Looks comfy.

Nitpick on the trebuchet operation: the block and tackle attached to the middle of the throwing arm is shown arresting the machine mid-throw. Since they're using slings, there's no reason for this to be done. That block and tackle would have simply been used to pull the arm back and would not have been connected during a launch.

Attached: tmp_2708-Screenshot_20180531-1152121136719927.png (1920x1080, 1.26M)

I just want a comfy siege weapon thread! These things happen so rarely.

>a catapult is like a chad trebuchet desu
>melee is real chad

The Chad siege weapon causes the enemy to surrender without firing a shot.
The Chad king shoots the surrendering castle anyway.

>The Warwolf, or War Wolf or Ludgar (Loup de Guerre), is believed to be the largest trebuchet ever made. It was created in Scotland by order of King Edward I of England, during the siege of Stirling Castle, as part of the Scottish Wars of Independence.
>When disassembled, the weapon would fill 30 wagons. It took five master carpenters and forty-nine other labourers at least three months to complete.
>A contemporary account of the siege states, "During this business the king had carpenters construct a fearful engine called the loup-de-guerre (sic., War Wolf), and this when it threw, brought down the whole wall."
>Even before construction could be completed, the sight of the giant engine so intimidated the Scots that they tried to surrender. Edward sent the truce party back inside the castle, declaring, "You don't deserve any grace, but must surrender to my will."
>Edward decided to carry on with the siege and witness for himself the power of the masterful weapon. The Warwolf accurately hurled missiles weighing as much as three hundred pounds (~136 kg) and levelled a large section of the curtain wall.

>trebuchet are purely static siege machines designed to pound walls.
China says hi.

Attached: Wheeled Trebuchet.jpg (267x400, 19K)

Second.

Attached: catapult-into-history-4-728.jpg (728x546, 52K)

>Trebuchet

Because Physics

Siege Ramp or Sapper Tunnel?

Range on a 5ft trebuchet using a bowling ball counterpoint is disappointing.