.38 special

Thoughts on 38 special?

Attached: fm-38spc-125fp_0092r_3.png (500x500, 78K)

Why is it so much bigger than 9mm but performs even worse?

Because it's for plinking cheap until you decide to use the 357 magnum.

momtier

shitty 9mm

I would carry one for SD but only if the platform was small enough to justify it, like a J-frame. A full size revolver in .38 for anything but target work is pretty silly. Speaking of targets I would love to own pic related, it's a .38 special autoloader designed for competition because of OAL issues it can fire only full wadcutter ammo. It's the most bizarre production gun S&W ever made.

Attached: 000_1365.jpg (640x480, 63K)

Buffalo bore has .38 specially +P at almost 500 ft lbs, same muzzle energy as .40S&W HSTs

Thats great and all, but that doesnt answer my question.
38 case length is way more than 9mm and it still underperforms.
Why?
It should shit all over 9mm.

because it's a one the few cartridges that survived the transition from holy black to smokeless, albeit only just, but it's still a very low pressure cartridge, especially compared to 9mm.

Thank you this is what I was looking for.

38 spl operates at half the pressure of 9mm.

Capacity doesn't necessarily mean it's filled with powder.

It's loaded to BP pressures. It was originally a BP round.

.38 SPL loaded to smokeless pressures is called .357 magnum and it does shit on 9mm

Is it cheaper than 9mm and just as common?

S'okay. Nothing fantastic but certainly not terrible.

Dumb obsolete round

Shoot .357 Magnum or bigger if you're going to use a revolver, or fuck off

Common? Yes. Cheaper? No.

>when SPED is in the name
>yet you still ask
>REEEEEE

>.357 in a J-frame
Yea no, you turbonigger

there are .357 Mag J-Frames you fucking weakling

>Wasting all that powder on flash, noise and recoil
>minor increase in effect over decent .38 ammo

Unneeded and retarded. I bet you shoot .40 too.

Will it kill an enraged ethnic minority?
Yes
Is it outdated?
Yes
I carry a J frame though. Pretty happy with it

I carry buffalo bores heavy 38 special in my 637. Its a 158grain +p lead semi wadcutter hollowpoint and man out of a snub nose 38, Its packs a mean punch and its a thumper at the range. Hot loaded 38 will perform to low level 357 magnum at half the pressure of 9mm. Honestly its a good round and even standard 38 non plus p is good for self defense. 38 will always have a place. May not be the best but still lethal and worth carrying.

Attached: 29663127_10215869342470732_3413043108080723131_o.jpg (720x1280, 137K)

Shit. Mostly used in .38special snub revolvers that reduce the velocity and accuracy at which the bullet travels. Used in most other situations, the .38special hits as hard and penetrates as far as a 9mm. People saw how shit the .38 special was and jammed more gun powder into a longer casing, giving us the .357 magnum.

If you only have 5-6 shots to use in a revolver, better make the most of each round, meaning you carry in .357 to .44 magnum.

>.38 SPL loaded to smokeless pressures is called .357 magnum and it does shit on 9mm

Same bullet projectile size but the .357 bullet is about 1/3 longer than a .38special. A .38 special revolver/auto loader cannot fire .357magnum, but a .357magnum MAY be able to fire .38special if made right.

it's a practice round for re-loaders.
.32 H&R Magnum is more practical for carry, and .327 Federal shits all over it if you want something softer shooting than .357 Magnum.

Attached: 327357mag38special4inCombined.png (1640x1158, 245K)

>muh noise, muh recoil

lel, what a pussy, you seriously complaining a noise? you know firearms are loud right??

He wasn't complaining about the noise, he was saying that all that extra powder is wasted on noise. Imbecile

>not wanting your gun to be as loud as possible.
Are you gay?

A lot of people shit on it but it’s a fun plinking caliber for me. If you want more serious defensive fun buy a 357

you stupid or something?
Anything that can chamber .357 will chamber .38 special, no "may" about it

Perfectly effective. Ignore the crowd that has magnumitis to make up for their comically small penises. It'll get the job done, and did for most of a century.

38 special has killed many people very effectively

>the fire rises

Dude what? All .357s can shoot .38, you might be thinking that the revolver needs to be made well to stand up to increased cylinder wear because of the negative space .38 leaves.

Unless you’re shooting Filipinos of course.

yeah, .38 wears out a firearm faster than .357 Mag

It's not that special

Good for home defense in a restricted state. And for revolvers, too.

Attached: wm_12358892.jpg (2333x1556, 256K)

It's old and isn't the best but it's better than 22lr and shoots just as softly depending on how big your revolver is. They do make +P hollow points so it isn't a slouch in the self defense category either.
I'd like for it to be cheaper, like 20 cents per round, but ya can't win them all.

>negative space
am I being trolled?

he probably means the fact that the bullet has to jump into the rifling because it is shorter than .357, so you will have increased forcing cone wear and more flame cutting in hot .38 of the cone and barrel
some .38 bullets aren't exactly the same as .357 so you can have pressure loss and barrel scraping.

Hmmm, that's interesting, I haven't thought about these aspects.

It's a low pressure round. This is actually a good thing for carry pieces, since you can design them real light to take advantage of this.

>.38 bullets aren't exactly the same as .357
they use the same .355-58 diameter bullets so I don't get what you're saying

He's not talking about diameter but case length. Since .38 is shorter it has to jump a longer than usual gap when in a .357 chamber. Still sounds like fuddlore though since I shoot a bunch of .38 out of my Ruger and S&W and I've never noticed this issue. Also if it's that big a deal then the .45LC/.410 revolvers would suffer substantially more from it.

modern loads put it close to 9mm if you really want to carry a J frame. other that that role its fairly useless spare what said.

t. carries J frame sometimes

post any gun you own

I love 38s, theyre so easy to shoot and max comfy to reload.

Are you not allowed to use .357 in that state? I'm not usually one of those "why would you use a .38 when you can have .357" folks, I can appreciate a .38 Special revolver, but in a long gun it seems silly to me not to bump up to more powerful round.

I don't see how that can be much of a problem. There is still a gap when firing 357 out of a 357, just less.

Caught up in you was easily their best song.

I'm guessing the idea is that .38 hits hard enough out of a rifle, and at the same time is also very quiet out of a rifle so less noise in an indoor environment

>theyre so easy to shoot
not out of the lightweight guns people typically carry

Are 38s shorter, I thought? If they were, there would be a larger magazine capacity.

If it did, it would probably go back to the whole debate on stopping power vs number of rounds.

Eh, they have their place.

I set my gf up with a S&W Model 10 for home defense. The hogue grips are super comfy, it points naturally, the heft helps with the already low recoil, and all she has to do is pull the trigger.

I tried with a glock 19, but she's too dainty and disinterested to deal with remedial action drills.

Not to be sexist, but women tend to correlate more to verbal reasoning because of sexual dimorphism. So, unless they are really plugged into the shooting sport thing, simpler is usually better for a lot of them when it comes to guns.

Attached: 1521740548861.png (688x775, 1.21M)

well last I check dark skin doesnt make chimps bullet proof so pretty sure the thousands of times .38 has been used lethally still stands to this day

then again Im ok with people having a .22 handgun for self defense.
bullets kill. I mean there are guys that get swiss cheesed with rifle calibers during ww2 and bleed out for hours and survive and then there's the guy hit with a .22 in the stomach and dies before the ambulance reaches the hospital.
Im all for lethality as practicality. but practically speaking all bullets are lethal.
then again maybe Im being defensive, I can hit things at 50 yards with my SW model 10. that thing is just a fucking laser scalpel compared to every other handgun I've ever shot.

I thought that was .38 S&W?

Calibre of choice of /ourguy/

Attached: im_what_you_call_a_professional.png (550x428, 280K)

>38 case length is way more than 9mm and it still underperforms. Why?

already answered your question. There are .38 loads that shit all over 9mm. He listed a popular one from Buffalo Bore. S&W made a heavy duty version called the .38/44 back in the 40s that pushed 450 ft lbs. There are dudes loading .38 to pressures and muzzle energy approaching .357 magnum, at which point you can only shoot them in a .357 magnum, so what's the point? The cartridge is easily capable of more, it's the gun holding it we're worried about. And that's why we have SAAMI specs. Any standard pressure .38 Special cartridge will work in any .38 Special revolver. They have +p and +p+ designations for guns built to withstand the extra pressure. They do this so you can go to the store and buy any brand of standard pressure .38 S&W, and trust that when you put them in your revolver that says .38 S&W on the side, it won't fucking explode.

If you have some sort of .38 fetish and want to see it really shit all over 9mm, then go fill one to the brim, get SAAMI on the phone, and start building handguns chambered in .38 Ass Blaster.

Nobody does this because it's fucking dangerous. You'll accidentally load grandpa's Colt Detective with your new special snowflake round and catch more spall than a German tank commander at Kursk.

Attached: bad idea.jpg (800x416, 74K)

>aluminum cylinder

.357 magnum was lengthend 1/3 of an inch for exactly this reason.

'Technically' you can make .38 rounds with .357 power. Some people even do it to fit 200 grain pills into marlin carbines and still have them load correctly.

They clearly mark the box 'rifle only'.

>And that's why we have SAAMI specs. Any standard pressure .38 Special cartridge will work in any .38 Special revolver
colt aircrewman special