Why is this gun so big? It seems like there's a lot of useless space being taken up...

Why is this gun so big? It seems like there's a lot of useless space being taken up. Is there any mechanical reason for why this pistol looks like it does?

Attached: Fallout 3-New Vegas N99 10mm Pistol.png (720x568, 195K)

Get Fucked

Attached: Getrfuvkerd.jpg (1280x720, 79K)

Here's a version of the gun from a mod that removes all the heavy looking lower bits.

Attached: 1447822533014.jpg (1197x786, 155K)

Its just there to make it look visually distinct/impactful.
No, there's no mechanical reason for a 10mm handgun to be that bulky.

Attached: colt delta elite 10mm.jpg (5312x2988, 2.97M)

still .75 AE Deagle sized

COULD there be though? Like is there a way it makes sense and not just done for aesthetics?

Some competition guns come with match weights attached to the front of the frame, that could be one non-aesthetic reason for a bulky mass attached to the front of a handgun.
Another could be a LAM/weaponlight.

Not really, but sort of. Theres no justifiable reason for there to be all that shit under the barrel mechanically, but it could be a retro-50s version of weighted comp and a laser sight. Though the laser mod in FONV kind of rules this out.

The Hudson has bulk.

thank's for the input

Not really.

The reason for big bulk of original Colt 6520 lies in Slammer gun from Hard Boiled comics - its a futuristic hybrid of revolver and pistol, with underbarrel weight (like many revolvers) and handguard (and possibly, laser sight).

Attached: 49b6ff0ccffc7ba111ad29a5aefd1e81.jpg (759x1024, 237K)

So they probably just made the N99 big to feel similar to the original 10mm from Fallout 1 and 2?

might be a dumb theory but maybe its housing a battery/power supply for attachments like a flashlight or laser sight

Only this.

Attached: 10mm pistol.jpg (237x213, 4K)

only what

Probably because it's from a fucking video game. For fuck's sake that's like asking "Lol y r my ar15 not shot lazors like in halo??!???" Fuck off back to /v/ you dumbshit kid.

Just because it's from a video game doesn't mean it has to be dumb, if someone wants to ask questions about guns (even fake ones) shouldn't we be nice about it so people aren't ignorant?

You are right. Original gun was homage to comic book weapon - exaggerated, but with its own twisted logic. Fallout 3 gun tries to be visually similar, but there is no logic behind it.

Fuck no, these cancerous faggots need to fuck off and so do you for enabling them, cocksucker.

So if someone is curious and wants to learn and not be ignorant you'd rather chastise them and keep them in "shoulder thing that goes up" level stupidity instead of teaching them something proper? People like you are the fucking cancer, not OP. the more people who are introduced to guns the better and if you act like a cock you're hurting the cause.

You're overestimating the situation, nrefag. People who post shit like that aren't wanting to know jack shit. He's wanting to troll. If he actually cared he'd ask any other place than Jow Forums, the asshole of the internet. The fact that you took him seriously just shows how much of a fool you are.

No I think the fact that I'm talking to you still shows how much of a fool I am, OP asked a question to people who would most likely know the answer and he did so in totally average way, and no one else but you had an autistic fit about it. I've gotten 3 no-nothing-no-guns who only played video games and watched movies to become interested and competent gun owners over the years and I'm proud of that, maybe you should stop being such a judgmental cunt and quit waving your microdick over the internet. goodnight

The gun looks big and stupid because the designers at bethesda make everything big and stupid.

Yes, the same reason the hi point is oversized for what it is. The use of lower quality materials necessitates more of the material be used to guarantee structural integrity. The 10mm pistol could be made with some shit tier steel, or super overbuilt in the name of reliability.

Attached: 34560533.jpg (800x800, 70K)

Nothing can beat the combat shotgun though.

Attached: COMBATSHOTGUN.png (2950x900, 1.23M)

I know there was a MSPaint explanation that involved has actuating a mechanism that pushed a shell from the drum into a tube in the hand guard part of the stock, and that a lifter moved them up into the action.

In cinema and video games they've always tried to increase the size of pistols to make the prop easier to see/recognize on the screen.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-03 at 08.56.08.png (2520x972, 2.55M)

I miss the orginal design, the new one looks like a bastardized PPSh.

Attached: latest.png (169x67, 2K)

Why are fallout fags so autistic about their oblivion mod with hitscan bows?

My nigga

U iz cunt

>He's wanting to troll
You don't even know what that means new faggot.

what mod and which fallout game?

Hello Pete Hines

Attached: ChVd3_FUYAEoWAg.jpg (600x571, 48K)

Basically Bethesda is to Fallout what Disney is to Star Wars.

The big divide is People who played Fallout 1 & 2 and then Fallout 3 onward.

I'm not entirely shitting on Fallout 3, but it should have been it's own series instead of a sequel to Fallout 2.

In this new liberal utopia, everything I don't like is trolling.

>or super overbuilt in the name of reliability.

This. According to BoS archives the N99 was hella overbuilt. Hence why it's still fairly common even two hundred years on.

They could have done this.

It would still be clown sized but not just be wasted space.

Attached: 1528016692159.png (332x225, 68K)

As someone that as actively avoided disney star wars I don't get that analogy.

THEY FUCKED UP SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THAT HARD TO GET RIGHT BECAUSE THEY'RE FUCKING RETARDS

Attached: ;zrgl, (6).png (1280x720, 1.64M)

>IP thats been dead, in a dead genre for over a decade
>gets rebooted by a new company, in a new genre, for a new playerbase

just go ahead and stop pretending 1-2 are part of this franchise anymore, theyre completely overshadowed by what beth has done with it.

also 3 and 4 are the best games in the franchise and NV is for brainlets and people who spent more time googling 1-2's lore than playing the game and experiencing it's glaring flaws

futuristic recoil compensation
plus extra weight at the front means less muzzle climb

still looks better than the fallout 4 version

Attached: Fallout4 pipepistol.jpg (424x185, 40K)

We're trying to have a real discussion Todd

As someone designing a gun that picture makes my nipples explode

Colt n99 Fallout 4 on both console and PC

>.75 AE
FUND IT

so its actually a revolver?

i think all the guns in FO4 were designed to not look tiny when carried in power armor.

That's what heavy weapons are for.

Yes it should look tiny and kind of silly when a person power armor is using a normal .44 mag revolver. Laser rifles are supposed to be huge. Hell in Fallout 2, the gauss rifle in the hands of a power armored guy has the same sprite model as a shotgun and looks like a toothpick in comparrison.

The laser rifle is supposed to be huge and unweildly for a non power armored person to carry. Laser rifles in fallout 2 are the upscale sized normal sized rifle for power armor troops.

Think starwars where the big lewis gun laser rifle the squad leader storm trooper eith orange shoulder pad used in new hope as the standard "rifle" and the E-11 carbine is the "pistol"

Attached: 1527124384532.jpg (756x1100, 190K)

What the fuck Bethesda? What the fuck? That one actually makes sense, it's just a revolver with a bulky underlug and a hand guard on the front that doesn't even extend down too far. Hell, simply not having that weight assembly on the FO3/NV 10mm pistol hang below the trigger guard massively improves the gun's aesthetics.

Attached: Fallout 10mm pistol fixed.jpg (355x568, 46K)