Hello! My girlfriend just gave me this for my birthday. I love the knife, it feels very sturdy and is very sharp...

Hello! My girlfriend just gave me this for my birthday. I love the knife, it feels very sturdy and is very sharp. Sadly I have no knowledge about knives and their specifics. Can anyone tell me how rare this is? Whats it used for? (I believe its hunting knife) Is it any good? Low tier/mid tier/top tier? Any information would be appreciated.

With love, from Eastern Europe!

Attached: 34441760_2184140358268888_7376308616631943168_n.jpg (2048x1536, 349K)

Other urls found in this thread:

morakniv.se/en/product/companion/
grohmannknives.com/index.php/products/outdoor/hunting-knives/4-survival-detail
grohmannknives.com/index.php/products/outdoor/all-items/3-boat,-army-or-yachtsman-detail
thesharpshop.ca/canadian-armed-forces-knife/?setCurrencyId=5
youtube.com/watch?v=2clqnekLNK0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: knife.jpg (2048x1536, 201K)

There's text on the blade. Google that.

Sorry, forgot to flip pics. I hope you can read engravings well. Let me know.

this is all I could find online. Probably don't know where to look.

''Dietmar Pohl was inspired by the legendary swordsmith Amakuni and its blade ''Kissaki-moroha'' for this knife. Satin finished 440 stainless steel bayonet style blade with partially sharpened edge on top. Blood grooves on both sides. The blade is etched Magnum Collection 2005 Boker Design by Pohl 1469. Satin finished 440 stainless steel guard. The handle is imitation rayskin with a nylon wrap over the top. This knife is serial number #1469 of a limited series. Comes brand new in a nice display box with certificate of authenticity and a nice black leather sheath.

Features:
Blade Material: 440 Stainless Steel
Handle Material: Imitation Rayskin w/ Nylon Wrap
Blade Length: 7
Overall Length: 11-3/4
Weight: 7 oz''

Stainless steel is usually weak and shit. It will work but its more of a luxury item or display than a working mans tool.

ok. So youre saying i should keep buying cheap knives before going camping and keep this one on a stand on my work desk. Like a souvenir. Why would it cost 200 bucks tho if its shit. is it the design? the brand?

Its 200 shekels because quality leather is expensive and the knife looks pretty. The knife will do what you need it to but its gonna full pretty quick. I'm not sure if the blade has a full tang. If it does it might make a decent tool but if it doesnt them it has no other purpose than to sit on your desk. Stainless steel is used for trophy pieces because nobody wants to mantinance somthing that stays on a wall.

>dull pretty quick
Sorry phone posting faggot here.

cool man. Knife is definately pretty. I better not use it then cause I have a bad history of braking/losing my gfs gifts. Not a good idea. What does a ''full tang'' mean?

Attached: sigulda.jpg (478x316, 45K)

one more question. Is it supposed to be a hunting knife? I believe those small ''trenches'' ar ment for blood, right?

The tang is how far the steel goes into the grip. it looks like the bottom of your grip(where the loop at the end is) is the same piece as the blade. So it looks full tang to me. And yes it does have the blood grooves but that's only useful for stabbing living things which you wont be doing very often. The knife will work for skinning, carving, whittling, but you will want to bring a whet stone because your soft steel will dull quick.

>Stainless steel is usually weak and shit.
fuddlore

Stainless steel is fine

>And yes it does have the blood grooves but that's only useful for stabbing living things which you wont be doing very often
blood groves aren't a real thing

Those are fullers. Fullers are meant to lighten the blade without losing functional strength, though sometimes they're just there for looks.

user the knife looks well made and fairly decent quality but stainless isnt the ideal steel. If properly heat treated its probably decent but there are better options for practicality.

Here’s the basics on steel:
Carbon steel:
> when cutting, stays sharp longer
> you must wash and oil it or it looks like trash
Stainless steel:
> heavy use will dull it quicker
> you can rinse it and dry it on your blue jeans

None of these anons do real knifework anyway.
It means nothing when they tell you “carbon or bust” or “full tang or into the trash” because, although there is a little truth to it, it’s just not that big a deal.
For your knife, i would pick stainless steel.
Your girl loves you and got you something nice.
Do take care of it and her.
Have a nice time, because you’re good to go.

>stainless steel heavy use will dull it quicker
>carbon steel when cutting stays sharp longer
Those are myths

They may have been true back in the 70s when stainless steel for cutlery were rather shit, but nowadays the only universal truth is that stainless steel is more rust resistant. There's hundreds of different stainless steel and carbon steel variants that you can't put a blanket statement over them.

As for OP, your knife is from Boker Magnum.

Boker is a respected and long running German knife company. Boker Magnum is hit or miss. It's essentially a Chinese firm that Boker slaps their name on with little to no oversight.

The steel in your knife is 440A most likely. It's not a great steel, but it'll do. Really steel isn't something to worry about too much about. Until you've used knives significantly, you probably couldn't really even tell the difference between many steels. Heat treatment and blade geometry are much more important in determining what makes a knife cut well compared to steel.

Your knife actually looks like one of the better Boker Magnums. It should be a decent user, but it's not worth much money. Not that you're going to be selling it since it's a gift from your girl. Use it and enjoy it.

I am used to stab living things, haven't done it lately. My grandfather let me kill domestic pigs when I was still living in countryside. With something like pic related without rust. I'd love to try my new knife desu, i dont think I will.

so stainless steel is more for looks, easier to maintain. But I can take it out for few days when going camping. Im a city fag now so no heavy use daily.

Thank you all! I got all the information I was looking for.
Ill add a line about how much Im jealous of you Americans about your gun laws.

Attached: 1794214.jpg (1500x1125, 122K)

> Stainless tougher chemically
> carbon tougher mechanically
There is no meme-magic custom wishing steel that invalidates this.
Weird steels are still uncommon, unless you’re cuck enough to buy into advertisements for $532 knives you should know better than to buy

Have fun, OP. I’m envious of your nations ability to play airsoft in a serious but not really manner

i found it. It was actually this knife.

Attached: WW2-ARTEFAKTI-25.jpg (620x441, 40K)

Something like s30v will hold an edge for way longer than 1095 (a very common carbon steel) for slicing tasks.

S30v was considered a supersteel maybe 10-15 years ago but now you can find it in $30-40 knives.

It's meant as a collectors piece and the fact that they didn't list which kind of 440 steel it is makes me think that it's 440A or 440B. If you don't care about breaking it or having it dull really quickly, you could probably use it. Ontario Mk. III Navy knives are 440A and come in a metal sheath. It's essentially an underwater shank, because it's thick and chunky and doesn't hold an edge worth a god damn. If it's 440C, depending on heat treat it could be really decent.

If you want good, functional knives, I'll list a few brands in a few price ranges.

Low price, extremely high value. They're about as utilitarian as you can get. Decent steel, good heat treat, comfy handle, light as fuck, the belt sheath has decent retention on the knife (good for not losing the fucking thing) and the clip makes it easy to get on and off your belt without taking the belt off. That being said, you also don't have to worry about it coming off your belt when you don't want to because it has a hook on it that goes completely around your belt and grabs it from the bottom too.

A mid tier line of knife made in Canada. They have many different sizes of knife for a multitude of tasks. They come with leather sheaths and rosewood or stag handles most of the time. Price is around $50-$100 CAD. They're issued to the Canadian military as a parachute knife. Good hunting and camp knives.

Brands that are more expensive like Esee, TOPS, Bark River, Benchmade, Fallkniven, etc have much higher price tags than the knives I listed, and only marginally better quality.

TL;DR
It's probably not meant for hard use, it's probably fine to use hard, it probably won't perform fantastic, it's mainly a collectors piece. Get a Morakniv for something cheap and utilitarian, or a Grohmann for something reasonably priced and a little nicer.

Here's the ideal Morakniv. I've had one in my pack for several years and it's still going strong.

morakniv.se/en/product/companion/

For Grohmann, I'd either get the #4 for a good all-round knife that does most things, or the #3 Army model with the flap sheath as a small utility knife. Also, these prices are a lot higher than what I've found looking around. It's MSRP so most retailers carry them a lot cheaper. For example, I found one Canadian retailer that had the #3 for $84 (55 EUR).

grohmannknives.com/index.php/products/outdoor/hunting-knives/4-survival-detail

grohmannknives.com/index.php/products/outdoor/all-items/3-boat,-army-or-yachtsman-detail

thesharpshop.ca/canadian-armed-forces-knife/?setCurrencyId=5

>stainless isnt the ideal steel
At least it's not 420 steel.
Though I've heard that Buck makes great 420 knives.
>heavy use will dull it quicker
Not really. But stainless steels make a different cut. For example, carbon steel Mora makes a more "aggressive cut" than stainless Marttiini.
Sometimes carbon steel is easier to sharpen, IMO.

>440C Boker
Yeah that's over priced.
Nothing wrong with a good heat treated 440C it works well enough and is easy to sharpen but Boker makes you pay more than other companies would for 440c
Here is a video of knife steels
youtube.com/watch?v=2clqnekLNK0

are these international ways to group types of steel? I mean the 440A, B, C. Im currently trying to contact an old friend that might know which steel it is but he's and old USSR type dude that might have different ways to group steel.

I love the looks of Grohmann knives but cant find a vendor that sells them at my gods forgotten country.

Are you sure mine is 440C? No info online and no one on this thread knows as well. As far as I understand 440C is a better one, right?

Attached: 306111_g4SH7V.jpg (1156x768, 410K)

An assumption on my part but a safe assumption as that is what Boker is known to use, Pretty sure.

as i understand from this mine isn't really a true Boker. Mby I should just stop and live my life thinking that its the superior 440C. (not that it makes much sense to me)

Attached: sniedzins.jpg (1000x667, 193K)

Soviets and russians have their own steels marks with their own designations, but imported steels remain their original name. For example, russian H12MF is similar to D2 in it's qualities and chemical structure. But D2 is D2 and H12 is H12. Same thing with 10xx and russian U-series steels

Everyone on k typically has really refined taste in knives, and a lot of times they have good reasons. Boker makes good tools, albeit expensive. The truth is that knife cost more than it is worth, but it's still a quality knife. Stainless steel is bomber, don't listen to the fudds, 440C is a good metal, it will last and make a sharp edge. Use the knife, take it camping, it's a tool, and a pretty nice (and sexy) one. Happy birthday buddy.

Full tangs go all the way through the handle, unlike partial tangs. They are more suited for actual use and are more durable than chink shit wall hangers.

Attached: cutit-bushcraft-full-tang.jpg (522x243, 36K)

Apparently it's 440A. Still doesn't matter. Unless you start to really get into knives, you won't need anything better for a long time. Just have fun with it man, it's a good knife.

Op that is a rare SS honor blade that was awarded to sturmbannfuhrers by Hitler himself after they prestiged for their 5th time. That's a piece of history m8.

Lovely visit to this board. I really respect your autism!

Agreed, a beautiful piece of sharp metal. And thank you as well!
Its definately a full tang.

I'm not 100% sure if it's that one but it looks identical. I'll take a closer look when I go to countryside.

Attached: gauja.jpg (1280x614, 209K)

>Boker
>Expensive

Speaking of knives, why did DICE modeled "russian knife" like picrelated? Russian knife industry of that era was about puukko-style knives with wooden handles. And here we see a clipped knife with leather handle.

Attached: BF1_Russian_Award_Knife.png (1024x256, 168K)

>a $200 knife isn't expensive
lmao skip to the chase and call me a poorfag and post your modded up scar, because spending as much money as possible on something is GOOD.

Because DICE is full of idiots who don’t do research

Jeesh, it should be easy, shouldn't it?
Iisaki Jarvenpaa, Yegor Samsonov, Pavlovo, Vorsma, Kauhava - those names and locations are well-known around here.
And the only scandi knife Dice made was the Survival knife for pilots, which is, pretty much, large Mora Scout or Ericsson 1911 Jaktkniv

Biker isn't bad.
440c is good steel.
440a and 440b are not really good.
It looks like the knife is used and maybe something going on with the edge.

You have a girlfriend who gives you knives. That's probably most important.

>fuddlore
In the fudd's defense, the knife is 440. It was pretty high tech stainless back in the 70s but there are far better stainless steels available today. I have some solid knives that cost well under $200. The OP's knife is overpriced for what it is.

Attached: there.he.is.jpg (468x60, 27K)