Is a DMR an assault rifle?

Can pic related be considered an assault rifle?
I've never understood if Designated Marksman Rifle was its own class or if it's just a way of differentiating between assault rifles.

Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.

Attached: SPR-left-LARGE-970x500.jpg (970x500, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Squad_Designated_Marksman_Rifle
taskandpurpose.com/army-new-marksman-rifle/
army.mil/article/206463/army_to_field_squad_designated_marksman_rifle_in_september
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

there is no such thing as an assault rifle

Attached: 1528331299030.png (577x588, 580K)

I mean.
Uh
Sure? But why do you say that?

First of all, dumb summerposter.
No, a gun needs to have an intermediate round and select fire capability to be considered an assault rifle. A DMR usually uses a "full" 30 caliber rifle round. What makes a DMR a DMR is less well defined but in layman's terms it's a battle rifle with a scope attached.
Dumb boomer.

Is select fire capability a must for it to be considered an assault rifle?
I suppose that would rule out a lot of firearms.
Thanks.

Yes.

I should specify about the battle rifle with scope thing before an autist replies.
There are exceptions to this. Most DMRs are this but there are some purpose built DMRs like the Dragunov (and derivatives) or the PSL.

I'm not going to say DMR, but I suppose something like the SPR in your pic, most certainly could be considered an assault rifle, as it appears to be an intermediate caliber and judging by that sear pin, select fire. so I suppose it absolutely could. but is a DMR inherently an assault rifle? NO. Is an SPR necessarily an assault rifle? no, because one that isn't select fire may still be an SPR.

marksman refers to the user

>A DMR usually uses a "full" 30 caliber rifle round.
This is really not the case. The majority of "designated marksman" rifles in service are just the standard infantry rifle with an optic and bipod, and sometimes a different barrel. Some countries use previous-generation battle rifles for the role and having a purpose-built modern 7.62mm rifle is definitely catching on, but the majority of marksman rifle models used currently are in 5.56mm.

If you want to be more technical, a DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) is typically in .308 and is utilized in the Marine Corp and based off of the M14, while a SDMR (Squad Designated Marksman Rifle) in the Army is a M-16 with a 77 grain 5.56 and a ~20 inch barrel, both of which are to engage targets around 300 yards but must be capable of engaging upwards of 800 yards. And because it should have the option to engage in targets up close, a DMR can not be a bolt action. Outside of the military, the definitions can be more loose where as long as it's semi-auto and can hit a target upwards of 800 yards, you can classify it as a DMR (at least in the essence of a DMR). To answer OP's question, the Army's SDMR fits the definition of an assault rifle if it's selective fire.

Attached: USMC_M14_DMR.jpg (1200x630, 101K)

>Can pic related be considered an assault rifle?
To the unwashed masses of imbecile anti-gunners it's an "assault rifile," so the answer is "yes."

>n the Army is a M-16 with a 77 grain 5.56 and a ~20 inch barrel,

In the Army it's whatever the fuck they hand you, likely an M16 with a standard TA-31 and M855 or an EBR hurling delinked. You have no fucking idea what you're talking about if you think anyone outside of SOCOM sees Mk 262 on the regular. We were literal snipers and only ever saw about ten boxes of M118LR and about 4 of Mk 262 Mod 1 for an entire 15 month tour.

DMR is as much a doctrinal role as it is anything else. a standard decently accurate battle rifle with a scope thrown on and given to your most accurate guy in the squad for shooting point targets at range is a 'dmr.' or it could be something like an AR15 that is a bit more accurate than the standard issue. a purpose built ground up AR15 dmr or 'spr' is going to be more expensive and likely long and heavy. a bit cumbersome for room clearing, but again it's a doctrinal thing.

Fpbp

Is an AK-47 with a scope attached a dmr?

>If you want to be more technical
The technical definition does not mean the real-world use, especially since it's well-known that any military will use a .38 spl at 400 yards if it's all they have. So pull that stick out your ass (actually, your sergeants dick since your in the Army) and learn how to read all parts of a post (difficult for the Army, I know).

>We were literal snipers
Guess how I know your full of shit?

not a good one, but if a military acually issued it to be used as one...

>if a military acually issued it to be used as one
You're in luck.

Attached: Tabuk.jpg (4288x2848, 1.58M)

that's a zastava

An assault weapon is vague made up bullshit, an assault rifle is an actual term

DMR is usually an existing service rifle modified with medium ranged optics.

If you start splitting hairs over AK variants then you're gonna have a real rough time. You could've said "that's an RPK" and had a better point.

He has posted his credentials way too many times.

Guess how I know you're new?

>Been on since 2009
I ain't that new.

>Here since 2009

No, then you would know who I am and what I used to do, and you wouldn't be trying to dig your way out of the idiot statement you made when I know just how wrong you are. You are implying that there is an abundance of special purpose ammunition being issued to line units like 77 grain stuff in the Army. That's just not true unless something has drastically changed, which I doubt it has. You also wouldn't be making equipment based statements like excluding a bolt gun from a DM position (though I agree it would be very silly) because you would know that DM is more doctrinal than equipment based. DMs field everything from M16s to M110s depending on the unit because it's very fast-and-loose, especially in the Army. There is no real codified TO&E for DMs and no real standardized training program for them.

I was a DM before I moved to a section, I know what goes on in that world, and no Big Army DM is getting issued cool guy rounds on the regular. Again, we saw about 4 boxes of it in 15 months on a sniper section in Sadr where we got just about everything we asked for if it wasn't completely outrageous.

>I was a DM before
>We were literal snipers
If you were serving, then you would know that a DM is completely different than a sniper. 3/10 for getting me to respond to this bait. But for the hell of it:
>If you want to be more technical
>The technical definition does not mean the real-world use

Yeah, thanks guy, I'm well aware that a DM has no where near the capability of a sniper considering it's the docternal role of a DM to be a rifleman in a fireteam first and foremost and then provide decently precise area fire in a roughly 500m envelop. YMMV.

The point I'm making, and which is apparently lost on your illiterate ass is that if Snipers, which as you so keenly observed are wildly more capable than a DM and regarded far and away as being better at the precision target interdiction game, have trouble picking up things like Mk. 262, why the fuck would you ever imply that DMs see regular issues of 77 grain when in reality they just hurl M855 like everyone else. Always have, and always will in big army.

>The technical definition does not mean the real-world use

There is no technical doctrinal definition or, for the last fucking time, widely accepted TO&E for a DM in the Army. You are making wild ass assumptions which demonstrate a massive lack of knowledge on your part with respect to the few book-type definitions of what a DM in the army does, as well as what they're issued. You really have no idea what the fuck you're talking about and no understanding of the "technical definition" of what a DM does in the Army, nor what they fucking do it with. You're the one making wild ass claims about Army DMs being issued SDMRs (which saw almost zero use outside of 3ID) and 77 grain.

There is zero technical definition for a DM in the Army. They have no standardized equipment past Battalion echelons, no special ammunition, and nothing really exciting about their equipment.

Be. Fucking. Still.

Attached: 1406683339138.jpg (566x973, 308K)

>I'm well aware that a DM has no where near the capability of a sniper
Then you wouldn't have made the comparison to begin with.
>There is no technical doctrinal definition or, for the last fucking time, widely accepted TO&E for a DM in the Army.
But there is a general trend we can use to categorize an Army SDMR. For example:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Squad_Designated_Marksman_Rifle
taskandpurpose.com/army-new-marksman-rifle/
army.mil/article/206463/army_to_field_squad_designated_marksman_rifle_in_september
77 grain 5.56 is normally used with 20 inch barrel, but other times .308 is employed in platforms such as the M14, closely aligning with the description of a Marines DMR.

literally made in iraq, its the only domestic built gun besides those hand made atrocities, and is just an AKM with semi only and a longer barrel and scope

>shooting de-linked 7.62 out of a DMR

Sad. Many such cases.

Good to see you back around bud, how's school?

>How's school

Kill me.

>kill meeee

I just got accepted into a doctoral program for Fall enrollment. And I'm finishing my second masters in this Summer term.

And throw an 11 month old rugrat and a 40-hour a week full time job for good measure.

IKTFB

>Doctoral program

Yeah, here I am doing the same thing.

They going to give you a decent stipend? I'm making about $28,000 a year right now on mine. It's not extravagant but it's enough.

I'm about out of GI Bill, but there are 2 or 3 funded positions available. Not sure if I want to go for them or not, since the money comes with a lot of strings attached: conferences, giving keynotes/presentations, and teaching requirements.

I don't think I'll have time for all that.

Lucky me, my lab has a lot of NIH money right now, so the Grads here are pretty well fed and the University dosen't mind throwing money at us because we're working on deliverable therapeutics with patents. All in all, it's a pretty sweet gig.

I'm out of academia the second they put that hood on me though. I'm not going to sit here and try to grub a Tenure track position that I'll probably never see,

>my lab has a lot of NIH money right now

I'm going to call my friends at the HHS IG to do a review on your program. We'll get that money distributed more equitably.

:^)

Pls no, I just got the okay to spend about 1000 dollars on baffled flasks for my E. coli. I can't go back to regular EM flasks.

In california if you have to ask if something is an assault weapon, then its an assault weapon because her majesty Feinstein says so.