Thinking of joining the National Guard

Is it really worth doing? To put 6 months of my life into Basic/AIT and then doing the one weekend a month/2 weeks a year - ?

(6 months is a long time, no women, I feel like I'll go crazy)

Personally I feel like it kinda is. Benefits are good.

Day dream goal of mine is to do the National Guard thing and also become a fire fighter. I'll have purpose in life. Some respect. And be proud of myself. To be a strong member of my community. To be a man.

And the NG can help with getting me on that track.

I'm taking the ASVAB test Tuesday. And that's good for all branches of military, so maybe AIR Guard or Coast Guard I was thinking too.

Anyway thanks for any advice.

Attached: Seal_of_the_United_States_National_Guard.svg.png (1200x1200, 384K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Army_National_Guard
google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiI8bTf9cjbAhXC6RQKHWyGDgwQFggkMAA&url=https://fl.ng.mil/&usg=AOvVaw2X08xqztlnZ-Cb6JkpKXao
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

do what you want to do bro I love you

Thanks I needed that. But seriously I don't want this to turn into a shit show on me. I'm at a point in my life where it's kinda do or die time and I need to do something. But i dont want it to be a mistake.

I have no real insight of what it means to join. I have an idea of what i have to out in but not sure what I will get out of it.

What state NG are you looking to join what jobs are you looking to do?

Benefits are good, looks good on your resume, makes you a better person, and gets you some extra $$$.

There are firefighters in the military, although I cannot recall the MOS.

FL.

As far as what job. I have no idea. I need to take the asvab to see what I'm qualified for and then take it from there.

I'm inclined to not sign up if I take the asvab and am only qualified for 'shit shoveler'. But we'll see.

As far as scoping out what kind job openings NG have , it seems they're are a lot for "Avengers Crew Member" in the North FL area. (It's a job where you are part of a humvee with a anti AIR stinger missile launcher on the back).

Since it seems to be the most abundant one it's something that looks appealing.

I was a member of the MN nat guard for nearly 3 years.

MN has some great units. Don't get complacent and stay in shape though. Lots of out of regs people in the guard.

How has it benefited your life?

And did it make things negative in anyway if you don't mind me asking?

I didn't know the Army still had avengers, I thought they took those out of inventory. But I could be wrong.
But the NG isn't a bad route to go honestly. I did it for four years before I go active. But I'm sorry you live in the garbage state of Florida.

I've considered joining and getting some easy bullshit MOS just for the benefits.
But I absolutely refuse to put up with 10 weeks of bootcamp getting screamed at by retards surrounded by active duty brainwashed retards

Recently contacted by a recruiter myself, I'd probably join up if it wasn't for the fact that I'm 32 and have a bad back.

Well he's talking about the NG, they get all the stuff the Army doesn't want anymore.

So I was a SMP cadet meaning I was in the National Guard and in ROTC.

It made life difficult sometimes because it would take time away or create scheduling problems with school. Combining both ROTC and National Guard is great if you expect to do a similar job field in the army once you are commissioned. That said it adds some serious headaches at times to your schedule.

Since I was in a Brigade S-4, and my job (Ordnance Officer) is related to that now that I commissioned; I would say I have gained a lot of experience. Not only on the enlisted side but also some higher level logistics.

I know thats a bit off topic but thats my experience so far.

all your posts have reddit spacing
go ask reddit faggot

Not OP but:

>Be me
>Be on the 4chins for over a decade now
>Always typed the same way
>"Le Reddit spacing"
>Have a grand total of...2 posts on Reddit, I think

Moral of the story, you're a fag.

Anyone who screams "muh reddit" or "muh pol" deserves to be ignored 100% of the time.

From what I understand, I thought you could join the guard and have the training as part of your weekend call ups. Is it that they want all the stuff done in a single span?

Pretty sure they require a block of time at first and a block of time each year.

>AIR Guard
I've been looking into that recently.
Pros:
I believe that your training will be less, overall (8.5 weeks for Basic/not sure on) and they still have fighter fighters (3E7X1)
Downsides
Unlike the army, there is only one air force/air guard basic training facility. The ASVAB score to get in is a bit higher, but not by many points.
Also, looking at Florida, you might have to go out of state if you want to be a firefighter.

The biggest question is do you want to be in the NG? If the answer is yes then do it. Military service isn't some magic pill that sorts your shit out for you, you do it because its what you truly want to do. If you do it unless your going to a shit unit make sure that:

1) you can pass the APFT
2) you can pass weapons qual
3) you can pass hight/weight standards
4) you will follow lawfull orders without "too cool 4 you" back talk attitude

Do this and you'll be mediocre. Add some ambition and motivation and you'll be successful. Also to let you know the NG is hard to make a career of since it trends to be a old boys club with 50yo E6 and 30yo E4 since they tend to "skillcraft" their qual's and have more non-performer's clogging up the promotion system. If you truly want a career go reserve since they tend more 20 and done and give room to promote.

Pretty much this.

I met a 42 year old PFC... she had been in for 22 years....... as a fucking PFC

wut

Do Coast Guard.

Go for it. You'll make some fantastic friends, do some cool as shit and have something to be proud of for the rest of your life.

This what you're headed in for
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Army_National_Guard
google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiI8bTf9cjbAhXC6RQKHWyGDgwQFggkMAA&url=https://fl.ng.mil/&usg=AOvVaw2X08xqztlnZ-Cb6JkpKXao

Air Defender here. Yes, there are still avengers in service. Korea still has SHORAD batteries because there is a genuine need for them in that particular theater. NG also has SHORAD batteries for the Washington DC deployments so they can shoot down any Cessna that stray too close to the Pentagon or White House.

Now, ahem. 14P, formerly 14S, is considered a retards job. You will be treated as a stupid day laborer. 14G are the one's who actually give the weapon control orders to fire those avenger turrets, you aren't trusted with that responsibility, you just push a button like a monkey and slew to cue. Do not take that MOS. And if they tell you that you can do CRAM as well, same deal. You just reload and PMCS the guns out there while the 14G sits in a nice air conditioned EOC and does the high speed job while you bake in the sun.

Basically try to grab any MOS with the highest line score requirements. Recruiter will try to sell you on the shittiest jobs because those are the ones they cant fill. And if it has a bonus, there is one for a reason that nobody wants that job and is bailing out at the first opportunity. Go for something that requires a top secret. Hold out and be willing to wait a few months. But FFS dont be a 14P.

Attached: Do not believe his lies.png (801x852, 1.29M)

Fellow mn guard fag here. Seems to vary but we had a lot of prior service that kept things running smooth also a lot of shitbags but it's the guard so whatre you gonna do?

Yea it evens out. Met more than a few former Marines.

CSM one time tried to tell some MSG or SFC that he couldn't wear his Marine patch on his OCPs..... That was interesting.

I was with the 347th RSG, now I'm commissioned so moving to active with 1ID

I was just powerpointing at various 2-135 companys but good luck at 1ID

I did 6 years in various units/designations within the infantry. The infantry units I served with were squared away as a mother fucker, so fuck anyone that says the NG isn't any good.

What MOS are you interested in?

Just go active for 3 years and get t he full benefits. Do fire science while you're in on the Army's dime and start applying for departments right before you get out. It will look much better on a resume.

Me again, I am jumping out the thread so here's what I got for you from my experience:

1. The Guard is significantly less stressful than active duty but you'll be expected to meet the standard of any other active-duty soldier, depending on your units sops/squared awayness.

2. You'll meet good people from your community for the most part. You help your community from time to time. You'll make good friends within your unit if you aren't a shitbag. People look up to service members so you'll be in the spotlight from time-to-time.

3. If you work full time and go to school, or vice versa, plus your guard duties, it can, as others have mentioned, really fuck with your life schedule. If you got kids and wife, it's even more difficult for them, especially if you get deployed. However, it's a fantastic way to build up your resume and get some tuition assistance, etc. The benefits are nowhere near as good as active duties though, unless you do some deployments because of the post 9-11 GI Bill.

4. DO NOT SETTLE. If you want something, FIGHT FOR IT. Meaning: Military schools, schooling, etc (it all counts towards points in promotion within the NG and how many E-5 spots are available etc.)

5. Before you sign the paper, think about what options you have within the military, do not take this decision lightly.
a) What do I want in my contract?
b) Fuck what the recruiter says, get what you want in your contract or a form of WRITING. Do you want airborne school after Basic/AIT? GET IT IN YOUR CONTRACT.
c) SAVE ALL official papers; keep a fucking copy of everything. The army is SHIT at keeping your records squared away. Signed out gear? make a copy. Promoted? make a copy, and put all that shit in a god damned 3 ring binder and keep it safe throughout your entire career.

6. Get the MOS you want. Score too low on your ASVAB? Take it again. Don't get pressured into "just doing it" or complacent with what you get option wise.

I really want to join, but my knees are already showing signs of arthritis after my stint in the corps. Might as well join AF after I get my medical degree.

Oh shit you probably know cadets from my former school.

Is there a tall one 6' 3"+ last name starts with F

OP here:

Thanks for the replies and insight. As I'm sure a lot of other readers are interested too.

I'm jotting down a lot of what you guys have said.

Like I said in a previous post I'm taking the ASVAB Tuesday. If this thread is still around I'll update with my score.

Is the reserve really that preferable to the Nasty Guard? How big is the difference between these two?

Nooooooooooo

The reserves are ass. They showed up to annual training with no weapons, no chem suits/masks, their mechanics had no tools, and they brought like 15 people of the 160.

That meant their people were on guard for 12 hour shifts.

So is there any difference? It seems like the NG would be better then if you want to do a reserve force since atleast they help with natural disasters.

NG is better controlled because it gets the direct attention of the state it is in.

Reserves are federal so its generally equally bad. MN has one of the best NG in the US.

Thats good to hear. Any states with guard units to avoid?

Um I have heard IN and IL aren't great

Mississippi.

Thanks for the advice

> join national guard
> basically doing the bare minimum
>but less

Usually, I recommend that, if you have no true commitment to staying put in one place (young, no kids, no family to take care of) you go active. If a little older, with some responsibility but still want to go into military, yeah, National Guard might be up your alley.

If you decide Guard, then let's talk about that. The MOS is probably the one thing that will determine just how much you like or hate your time in. If you want combat MOS, go Infantry or Engineer. Do NOT go MP. If you want cushier time, medical is an option... Unless it's combat medic. Those fuckers can get sent anywhere from a cushy clinic to a line unit of infantry, so your mileage may vary.

Quartermaster tends to suck pretty bad, unless you're planning to go Warrant Officer. Even then, I wouldn't recommend it.

Otherwise, lots of other people have given out some good advice. Keep up to standards, keep a copy of everything, don't be a shitbag, reap your benefits to the last cent, and have a good time.

Oh, last I heard, Florida was overmanned due to Puerto Rico transferring over there like crazy. Something to keep in mind, too. You might have to look somewhere else, but that might be outdated info at this point. I wish you success in what you want to do, brah.

>t. 68W for 10 years in the Guard

Opinions on 91F?
Also how best reap benefits?
How shit is Ohio NG?

Attached: 1528484768571m.jpg (1024x911, 153K)

bump