Ear protection

I have only ever used earplugs I bought at a local drug store. My friends have convinced me to buy a pair of actual muffs. Any suggestions for decent reasonably priced ear muff?

Attached: downloadfile-1.jpg (488x488, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

smile.amazon.com/Earphones-Plus-C-6MF-BKM-Earbuds-Replacement/dp/B01BHD9AGS/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529554932&sr=1-10&keywords=Foam tip 5mm medium
smile.amazon.com/dp/B0015PN3W6/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3233965245922079678&pd_rd_wg=fVyhS&pf_rd_r=HCVJ5Z2CV80VQEAFQX93&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B0015PN3W6&pd_rd_w=IauLZ&pf_rd_i=Foam tip 3.5mm&pd_rd_r=403c3174-c87c-49ca-8e04-557547f75f86&ie=UTF8&qid=1529555112&sr=1
soundgearhearing.com/products/hearing-protection-for-hunters-shooters
amazon.com/PACK-Replacement-Isolating-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00WTBTE4Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529627272&sr=8-4&keywords=triple flange tips
etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/hf5.html
amazon.com/3M-Behind-Earmuffs-Conservation-H6B/dp/B009POJ3GY/ref=asc_df_B009POJ3GY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198071691282&hvpos=1o10&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4790451790783545242&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013316&hvtargid=pla-351013652876&psc=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not muffs, but Surefire EP plugs are like $15 and work great.

>My friends have convinced me to buy a pair of actual muffs.
Your friends are retarded. Why would you use earpro that can slip off easily, is expensive, and can ruin your cheek/chinweld?

>Any suggestions for decent reasonably priced ear muff?

Attached: desire to know more is uncontrollable.gif (630x502, 1.01M)

Use cigarette butts like a fuckin man! lol(Ijust forget my plugs every range trip!)

this.

>all these fucking people only using cheap plugs
Enjoy the tinnitus and hearing loss

Attached: 1527968992431.jpg (638x960, 136K)

This
They are GOAT

Eww, dude those look like fucking ear dildos.

If you don't want electric, get a pair of Allen low-pro's for like $12 at your local Walmart

shut the fuck up

a few dollars

Attached: plugs are fine you fag.jpg (2000x1117, 75K)

All I've ever used. Decades, and I'm fine.

3M Peltor. They're very comfortable, you can listen to music in them and hear conversation, and they're great at drowning out sound. I use them at the range and when I'm mowing. Nice and relaxing

I don't know if my ears are just fucky or what, but I always have trouble keeping earplugs in my ears. Maybe I have abnormally large ear canals, but they always fall out while I'm shooting. That's why I exclusively use muffs when I shoot, but they kind of fuck up my cheek weld when shooting rifles.

When buying earpro, is NNR the only real consideration? And when wearing muffs over plugs is the NNR additive?

Custom molded plugs I have seen for 65 bucks for the molding session. The local indoor ranges accept them as suitable substitutes for muffs.

I'm a CZ owner.

I just stick each of my boyfriends' erect dicks in my ear and blast away.

These are pretty cheap, and I wear them over plugs and feel like I get pretty good protection. Otherwise, the Peltor sport electronic muffs that block loud sounds and amplify conversations in the speakers are pretty cool and regularly hit 35 bucks on Amazon.

Attached: Untitled.png (1601x639, 358K)

>Surefire EP plugs
IIRC those things are fucking scams.
Yes they work, but they don't cost nearly $15 since the foam they use is generic earbud foam
smile.amazon.com/Earphones-Plus-C-6MF-BKM-Earbuds-Replacement/dp/B01BHD9AGS/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529554932&sr=1-10&keywords=Foam tip 5mm medium

better quality version
smile.amazon.com/dp/B0015PN3W6/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3233965245922079678&pd_rd_wg=fVyhS&pf_rd_r=HCVJ5Z2CV80VQEAFQX93&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B0015PN3W6&pd_rd_w=IauLZ&pf_rd_i=Foam tip 3.5mm&pd_rd_r=403c3174-c87c-49ca-8e04-557547f75f86&ie=UTF8&qid=1529555112&sr=1

surefire EP4's (silicone flanges) pretty much live in my car
peltor sport tac 100's on my nightstand/range bag
at least 15 pairs of random howard leight and 3m foamies scattered throughout my backpacks, jackets, flannels, car, and everywhere
>i seriously find one every time i do laundry
and I edc some cheap sony earbuds w/triple flange tips that actually work pretty well, provided I'm outside by myself just plinking 9mm or x39

the peltors aren't much good by themselves at an indoor range though, not much is, so double up
>btw to me, the peltor tac100's feel better and get a better seal with glasses than the howard leight impacts

Actually, cheap dispisable plugs bought at the drug store have a pretty high NRR if inserted correctly. Higher than most reusable plugs.

Get bigger plugs or try pushing them a bit deeper and/or twist until they fit correctly.

get some good electronic ear muffs. you can even wear them with earplugs when needed and still hear everything around you.

Yup this. Just big enough to wrap around my neck without choking or anything when not in use

I have a pair of these Howard Leight electronic earmuffs.

+Fold up compact
+Provide soothing ASMR
+Only like $40
+Reasonably comfortable
+Fit well with even super-bulky eyepro
-Not the highest decible reduction, you'd best double up
-Made for headlets, I have a fairly large head and it's kind of tight

Attached: howard-leight-impact-sport-earmuff-545.jpg&sp=1381acfa19359a0462045ab371956e9b.jpg (800x800, 58K)

Foam ear plugs are fine if you put them in correctly.

IMO, those suck as standalone protection because they leak sound too often.
I need to wear loose plugs underneath, then I gain super hearing plus protection.

OP, listen to this man.
He speaks the troof.

Tell your friends to STFU. Nothing wrong with inexpensive foam plugs.

Surefire plugs use silicone, not foam. They aren’t the same as music earbuds at all, you atrocious troglodyte.

soundgearhearing.com/products/hearing-protection-for-hunters-shooters

Anybody fuck with this?
>electro
>in ear

Attached: Cart_Photos_1b81bc09-aa10-4ad4-a089-a1855ecfdf22_1024x1024.jpg (1024x1024, 33K)

Just buy an Optime III, they make you look like a moron but they have the best noise reduction.

First of all, if hearing protection is your primary concern and you only want to use one form of Earpro, then you should use earplugs rather than earmuffs. Those cheap foam earplugs can give you some of the highest levels of noise reduction that you can find. For example, those cheap "Mack's" earplugs from your image have 32 dB of noise reduction. Most muffs are going to measure in between the low to high 20's depending on the quality.

I double up on Ear pro because I only have one set of ears. For earplugs I use the orange disposable earplugs from 3M. 32 dB noise reduction rating. I buy the large bag of them from home depot. For muffs I use a pair of Peltor Sport tactical 100's. It cost me ~$50. 22 dB NRR. They're comfortable and I like them. The electronics boost the sound of conversation so that I can comfortably talk to those around me, while the extra noise reduction bolsters the protection that my plugs provide. I hate loud noises, and combined the plugs and muffs make shooting a pleasant experience.

Attached: peltor_sport_tactical_100.jpg (1500x1500, 167K)

The one-time use plugs (they aren't really one time use) block out way more noise than muffs.

>cheek weld
RIP in peace

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x300, 14K)

you have to lift up on your earlobe with your opposite hand and shove a tightly rolled plug DEEP. if you have almost nothing to grab onto to remove them, you're g2g.

EP7s and EP10s do, aka the objectively better ones.
The EP4s suck ass precisely because they're silicone.

>When buying earpro, is NNR the only real consideration? And when wearing muffs over plugs is the NNR additive?
*NRR is the primary concern for simply protecting your hearing from loud noises.
*A second concern is if you want electronic hearing protection so that quiet sounds are allowed to pass through while loud sounds are cut out.
*A third concern is if the earpro will disrupt your cheek weld when firing the weapon. Earplugs won't, but earmuffs might. Disrupting the cheek weld will make shooting uncomfortable. Worse still, it may break the seal between the earmuff and your head, removing the hearing protection.
*When pairing plugs and muffs, you will experience additional noise reduction but it is not additive. 32 dB plugs + 24 dB muffs is not equal to 56 dB noise reduction. Decibels are measured on a logarithmic scale, so 32 dB plugs + 24 dB muffs is nowhere even close to 56 dB reduction.

oh and there are aftermarket silicone flange tips too
amazon.com/PACK-Replacement-Isolating-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00WTBTE4Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529627272&sr=8-4&keywords=triple flange tips

>implying I didn't get it from shooting guns without ear pro whatsoever

These are unironically GOAT, I prefer them to my electronic earpro.

Attached: 61247_earplugs_00.jpg (2000x2000, 137K)

Say all of that again, I can't hear you.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I remember being fitted for ear plugs at 30th AG processing when I went to Infantry school. We were issued the basic rubber plugs and I couldn't get mine out when I tried them. They were slippery and I couldn't keep a grip on them. With tremendous embarrassment I had to tell on myself and get a DS to help remove them. They didn't even laugh or chastise me or anything, he just pulled it out and continued business as usual.

Attached: 1515031_10151915086439150_2129152778_n.jpg (600x600, 51K)

>electronic earmuffs
NO, just fucking NO! don't trust your hearing to electronic shit.

for $15, you can buy god-tier earpro: CLEAR ARMOR. Highest dB protection,. comfy af, FOOLPROOF and will NEVER FAIL and you can shoot fucking canons with them and they will still work.

Hearing damage is cumulative. You lose it over time if you have inadequate protection. Accept no compromises and go for 34dB or better.

Attached: 1499458523724.jpg (1500x1500, 501K)

this user is a good man

How many times can you use them? I toss them after two days at work

>a few dollars
this is all shit. these in-ear plugs don't work well at all and give you discomfort too.

i once worse them to a range for 4 hrs and when I got home, I had ringing in the art for the rest of the day... which is the sign that damage occurred.

never again!

Electronic hearing protection use electronics to deliver sound, not to block it out. When they fail, or when they're turned off, they just turn into regular ear protection. Granted, you're right about the low NRR. Foam plugs are objectively better from that standpoint.

>they just turn into regular ear protection
which is total shit and can't handle even a single gunshot. I've had that happen years ago when only my left electronic ear protection failed. never used that shit since.

if you can't afford 3M X5A (which is like $35), CA is $15. Both are god-tier and you can shoot 50cal all day long and not have any kind of buzzing or ringing afterwards.

Would these work as ear protection? They claim to have 35-42dB of noise isolation
etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/hf5.html

Attached: etymotic hf5.jpg (450x450, 16K)

>citing money when bargain electronic ear pro costs just as much
It's not for cost saving.

What do you shoot? 23NRR is fine for 9mm handguns, but I'll admit that it's iffy for even 5.56 out of a carbine. Do you hold down the trigger of an M2 for work, or something?

Unless it says "NRR," it's probably not meant for hearing protection.

THIS... have you people never improvised a good solution!?

protection =/= isolation

Hey, factory worker here. Get ear muffs soon. I used ear plugs for a year until one day I couldn't hear out of my right ear.
>ok is probably just was

Proceeded to become so infected that my ear swelled shut andhad to go to the hospital after days of notsleeping from the pain.

Ear muffs (any kind) will save you a bunch of money and pain.

Though make sure you stretch out the band because the plastic gets hard and will squeeze your jaw causing headaches.

Either stretch it, or thin the band down a bit so it's not so "tight"

Got issued these in boot camp and I've used them ever since.

Attached: ItJustWorks.jpg (880x660, 45K)

>if inserted correctly
It's virtually impossible to achieve the rated attenuation simply because of how difficult it is for people to properly insert them.
These aren't bad for electronic muffs at that price but doubling up is MANDATORY. Their pads don't seal for shit and they don't attenuate sound that well to begin with. My mom uses these and I make her double them up with Surefire EP4s with the filter closed up.

>which is total shit and can't handle even a single gunshot.
The fuck are you talking about you retard? My Peltor TacticalPros don't protect my hearing any less when they're off. I think you just have no idea how this shit works.

Also people, stop looking at NRR.

you're an idiot. they don't provide adequate protection.
>What do you shoot? 23NRR is fine for 9mm handguns, but I'll admit that it's iffy for even 5.56 out of a carbine. Do you hold down the trigger of an M2 for work, or something?
556 and 308 and 9mm.
the thing is that you don't have to feel pain to experience hearing damage. go read NIH FAQ.
go for the max protection available.

>they don't provide adequate protection.
What are you basing this on, you moron? They attenuate over 37dB in the band of a gunshot. That's more than hearing safe.

pretty much all I ever use

Attached: image.jpg (1000x1000, 79K)

those ten dollar walmart muffs work fine, the candy-looking disposable plugs work fine and are comfy. i dont think those ribbed plugs are comfortable so i dont use them.

Attached: 714vcB0zOXL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1072, 107K)

Get some $$$ and spend it on Westone hearing protection. Fighter pilots use them, so why not you?

>What are you basing this on, you moron? They attenuate over 37dB in the band of a gunshot.
NOT IF THE BATTERIES ARE DEAD you stupid fucker. can't you fucking read.

Yea, you have no idea how this shit works. Go learn some shit, you dumbass.

Attached: 1525352377303.png (550x543, 25K)

dipshit, earcups alone on that PIECE OF SHIT ELECTRONIC EARPRO are not rated for SHIT! you fucking moron.

One of those priceless times where I can't tell if this is bait or fetal alcohol syndrome

Attached: 1525181345565.jpg (228x221, 5K)

The second, he's in every earpro thread saying the same dumb shit after being corrected as many times.

Electronic muffs are game-changing.
>loud booms don't rupture your eardrums
>normal conversation completely clear
>tiny sounds that your shitty hearing wouldn't notice are picked up by the mic

>1800 dollars
I mean...Maybe some day. Are these basically indestructible with a lifetime warranty that covers basically anything? I want to be able to flush them down the toilet and get new ones for that price.

I mean, how much is your hearing worth to you? Maybe if you work around loud machinery you can file it as a tax rightoff for business expenses :^)

>NO, just fucking NO! don't trust your hearing to electronic shit.
Why? They work like regular ear muffs, but have a speaker. They don't require electricity to reduce noise. The Pro Sport Howard's are rated 30NRR. I always double up personally though.

>I mean, how much is your hearing worth to you?
A lot, but these actually don't protect hearing better than a good set of muffs. Probably way more comfortable, though. Do they make any that are compatible with external inputs like a radio? I can't seem to find them.

i used to only wear plugs. one night, i noticed a very slight high pitched noise and realized its the beginning of tinnitus.
do plugs by themselves work? sure, if you get the in right. i didnt always get them in right. in any case, i now double up, plugs and muffs. youll have to yell to hear a conversation but thats a fair trade off.

NIOSH recommends always doubling up on protectors when shooting recreationally or hunting.

This. They are the Soviet KV-2 of earmuffs. Bulky, stupid looking, and uncomfortable but you cant hear ANYthing with them on.

USAF uses these with connections in the helmet for comm so very good noise protection + radios/intercom sounds perfect. Nice to be able to split radio volumes 3 ways to know which radio you're hearing things on based on volume while still being able to hear things on the lowest volume radio. I imagine they have various connections available, might just be difficult to find on their website.

It doesn't look like they directly sell any of their military items to the public, sadly. Maybe they'll do it if you ask.

Nobody? Looks GOAT for CC'ing

Depends on how dirty you can stand them being. Only thing that'll surefire ruin them is getting wet.

>how difficult it is for people to properly insert them.

You means how fucking stupid and lazy people are. Takes two hands. Roll up earplug with one, then with the opposite reach around the back of your head and pull your ear back. Insert roll-up plug as deep as it'll go without bothering your eardrum, then let go your ear and hold the plug in until it expands all the way.

But no, all the lazy spice at work just sorta push them in halfway and walk around with them sticking out the sides of their ears all day because what matters to them is that they LOOK like they're wearing their PPE as opposed to actually benefitting from it.

Yea, yea, we all can read the package. Even if you do insert them as per the instructions, it's rarely good enough to get you anywhere near the rated attenuation.

I use these or the small insertable ones. amazon.com/3M-Behind-Earmuffs-Conservation-H6B/dp/B009POJ3GY/ref=asc_df_B009POJ3GY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198071691282&hvpos=1o10&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4790451790783545242&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013316&hvtargid=pla-351013652876&psc=1

When you put them in correctly it is pretty easy to tell that it's in right vs. wrong. Doing the whole reach around the back of your head to pull back your ear then holding the plug in until it expands actually works fucking great. Maybe you get 23 instead of 24db, but it's really easy to tell when it's in correctly after you've done it correctly once.

I use these. 27NRR, they don't fuck with your cheek weld, and they're cheap as hell.

Then you were using them wrong, friend.

30 dollarinos

Attached: Screenshot_20180622-154254.jpg (1440x2560, 445K)

Ear plugs are useless at in indoor range, you really need muffs

I really like the electronic ones that let you hear nornally via microphones and just shut the mic off when something goes BANG

Shutting off the mic is dumb and only done to protect shitty electronics.

Or it filters out the noise whatever Mr. AV club

>Or it filters out the noise
..Yea, it does. To protect shitty electronics.

I use this on my motorcycle. Could be better. The slowly start to fall apart though in my experience. Cheap enough though that I don't feel bad about having to replace them.

the reason to use muffs is because your jaw can actually translate sound to your ears, and muffs generally touch the jaw thus dampening the translated sound

talking and moving your face can both unseat muffs and plugs, most plugs have a higher or equal sound reduction rating than muffs.
Muffs produce less problems with pressure in the ears and on the jaw and dont push in ear wax etc.

It really depends on how loud and far from your face your shooting is, and if youre using a cheek weld or not.

in short: be a chad and use both

You should be using them in conjunction with normal foam plugs, user...
Hearing is too valuable to not use redundant protection.