Knife Restoration

Hey Jow Forums. Where would one be able to get a knife refinished? I'm finally wanting to get my grandfather's issued KABAR restored. As to why I want it restored. Kind of hard to believe that my grandfather used this as a gardening tool after the war. Yet given the condition of the knife I genuinely think it was used as a gardening tool. Which sucks. Also, general weapons thread. Post'em!

Attached: WW2 USN KABAR.jpg (650x203, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Distilled-White-Vinegar-128-Fl-Oz/10450998
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just get a new handle and guard since the leather on yours is probably rotten, then clean off the rust on the blade with 0000 steel wool and oil, then sharpen it. If theres any pitting in the steel no way to fix that other than grinding it down which you most definitely should not do.

Why shouldn't he use it as a gardening tool? It was a tool the whole war through and most likely never shed blood.

Post a picture of the blade, though. Would be interesting to see what is left of the edge.

I'm against restoring it, on general basis. When all traces of wear are removed you have removed its history. Repairing serious damage is different.

Indeed. Conserve it instead.

>Kind of hard to believe that my grandfather used this as a gardening tool after the war.
Not everyone is a sentimental retard. It's a piece of metal.

Also, easy to refinish. About an hour of work.

>removed its history
It's a fucking tool. Shut up.

Yeah, just a tool. Never said anything else. But it was his grandfather's tool and the wear it shows was caused by his grandfather. Which might matter to OP and in time OP's children. If it looks like it was bought online as a replica yesterday, that will be all the story it has to tell.

t. 'sporterized' milsurp owner

Female detected.

Post pictures of it, otherwise we don't know the amount of work that needs to be done

I don't own any old garbage. Completely pointless. You people are suckers.

I gave you a nibble. You're not getting a full bite. Find a different fishing hole.

Your grandfather literally beat his sword into a plowshare as it says in the Bible. You should honor that and not make it a weapon of war again.

What a fag

Fuck you. I have a feeling you don't own anything much personal from YOUR grandparents to pass down.

Looks like a piece of shit. Clean it up and sell it on ebay.

^ this

Generally though, if it's rusted, 0000 steel wool won't do. You will need to use sandpaper. If it's REALLY bad you'll have to start very low like 80. Otherwise 120 or even 240 might be enough. Then if you want it shiny you need to start using finer paper and I suggest asking around for some by maybe a friend or relative that works with them (my brother brough my tons up to 24000 micro mesh). 400-800. Then 1200 and you should have a great result. If you do have micromesh, you can go up all you want to make it even better. But 1200 is usually a good ending point for knives.

Then you need to sharpen it. Personally I suggest buying sharpening stones, you have much more control on the final result and it's fun. After all the sand paper it'll be pretty blunt. Start with a low 1000 one, then go 4000 (note, the stone grit is different from sandpaper grit). That should be enough for a good edge. You could go up to 8000 and 12000 if you want it really razor sharp.

If you don't remove rust it'll keep rusting. Oxidation is an enemy that HAS to be fought, or it'll never last generations.

I don't own anything from them. When they croaked, all their shit got donated or thrown out. I'll buy my own crap, based on my own preferences. Your emotional reverence for old junk earns you NOTHING.

Found this guy going through an old tool box, would like to bring it back.

Reading online, does anybody recommend the vinegar and salt method for the brass on the left?

Also would 0000 steel wool and oil take care of the rust on the right? It seems to just be surface and not pitted

Attached: 20180621_161828.jpg (1564x1564, 1.56M)

Jow Forums - google
I hate these fucking threads. Utterly uninteresting. I don't care what you do with your possessions.

>if it's rusted, 0000 steel wool won't do. You will need to use sandpaper.
This is wrong. Please don't listen to this guy.
Just use white vinegar and fine steel wool.

Man, you sure are a miserable cunt.

Rust removal is fine, especially for an item like this. So is sharpening, or touching up the leather with a little oil. Maintenance is a good thing.

Personally I have been dabbling with rust remover on some old replicas. The acid stuff. It's a tough recipe but it does work on the really nasty rust craters. The trick is to clean the object thoroughly and keep it off your hands and eyes.

Nigger have you ever restored blades that have more than surface rust? That knife was used as a fucking gardening tool for god knows how long and then sat somewhere for longer. If it's in bad conditions, and it might very easily be, steel wool will just tickle it.

yes actually, I restore old tools as a hobby.

Attached: WOnkE0X[1].jpg (450x600, 30K)

Attached: HB0ExFW[1].jpg (3024x4032, 2.43M)

The steel looks very good. But what is going on with the top? Is that an inch of wood sticking up?

it's just the wedge before I cut it. I think the glue hadn't dried yet or something, I don't really remember.

I did the vinegar and salt thing once on some coins. They got a little shinier but being mixed metal I wasn't very impressed. You are probably better off with some actual brass polish - it's not expensive. But brass should not get like that so I assume there's a number of other, cheaper metals involved there too.

Then you should know that fine steel wool on anything other than surface rust is wasting time. You need stronger abrasives. And since you will want to polish it after, might as well go with a range of sandpapers up to 1200-2400.

>thinks Jow Forums is one person

Ah,. right. How did you get this much rust off it? Electrolysis bath or sander or acid?

Attached: 1526081139305.png (1800x1578, 438K)

Your assuming he even knew them. Or both his parents for that matter.

nothing but steel wool and distilled white vinegar.

Attached: ZXnu30A[1].jpg (3024x4032, 956K)

That's a nice result though it could have been polished further. Also is it me or is the edge not really regular? Though not like it matters much on an axe.

If the Handle is shot then remove it and soak the whole thing in kroil blaster or trans fluid. Then rub it with steel wool and then clean it off and replace the handle.

Not exactly. I am assuming they knew him and didn't like him much :)

I really wouldn't call that a good result for a knife restoration. Heavy tool like an axe? Fine. Knife? Hell no.

the edge is horrible, I hadn't touched it up yet.

Attached: 20180621_155013.jpg (1950x1498, 1.07M)

Hm. Distilled vinegar? Is this different from the normal white vinegar found in any grocery store?

the stuff in grocery stores is distilled. you can get a gallon for $2.50 at walmart.
walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Distilled-White-Vinegar-128-Fl-Oz/10450998
My only point was you don't need abrasives for rust removal. you can just leave steel soaking in vinegar for a bit and it will get rid of it. I think I left the collins axe soaking for 2 or 3 days, but usually it only takes like an hour for lighter rust.

I have been playing around with that vinegar, then. But only for brief tests like half an hour. Now I will get a quantity and try soaking for a few days. I have some rusted old axe heads lying around too.

here's a less stupidly big picture so you might actually be able to see

Attached: whitevinegar.jpg (1312x796, 416K)

I don't really know what you're talking about but let's talk about Donald Trump

Nice

Show knife, faggot

Muh nigga. I’m sure you know what this is. Just finished a set of blacksmith nippers Todd’s patent from 1880 or so. Was a lump of rust when I bought them for a dollar.

Attached: 2DEA32C6-DD84-4627-B40A-A688AE6BA868.jpg (2592x1936, 1.27M)

Attached: 2417B0DC-7B5C-4761-9575-F914C941A61C.jpg (2592x1936, 839K)

Cattaragus Quartermaster knife I rescued. I used polishing wool on the blade and many applications of Pecard’s leather dressing on the leather. Found a repro sheath to use too.

Attached: Knife_Cattaraugus 225Q.jpg (2048x1536, 473K)

>It's a fucking tool. Shut up.
Couldn't read this in anything other than a whiny bitch voice.

Attached: image.jpg (215x172, 10K)

Yeah, I know. It was the very axe great great grandpa used to build his first cabin. The head was replaced twice and the handle five times.

Very nice

That looks dull as a hoe.

But that's literally what it is. It was his granfather's knife, i.e. it was a knife that his grandfather could use however the fuck he wanted to. The fact his grandpa made good daily use out of it gardening is way way better than letting the damn thing sit in a box and be a display piece.

you can restore a knife for reasons other than putting it on display. Y'know, like actual use.

This is true. Its porous and olds moisture and gets worse if not treated. Whenever I get rusted firearms I always do my best to clean the surface, then use penetrating oils like 3 in 1 to remove rust immediately.

Contact @upbeatvintage on instagram, he does a lot of antique cleaver and bayonet restoration

Shit, can I get paid for the easy ass job that is restoration?

I just got handed a random kabar myself and came to ask the same. Good thread

Attached: uihDvqE.jpg (1200x1600, 84K)

I wouldn't do anything to this knife. Just oil it and put some leather dressing on it.

I tried to do electrolysis on a restoration with washing soda and a 12 volt car betterie charger but did dick all, what's your setup?

What kind of metal source did you use? When I did my project I used rebar.

First, it’s a line of sight process so I use a bucket with five sticks of rebar spaced around and wired together. Washing powder. Positive to the sacrificial anodes (important!). Dumb battery charger. Not a new one made for the smart car batteries. An old one pumps out current with out adjusting for charge rate.