Jow Forumsollege gun

whats up kids i grew up around fire arms in my country, now i live in the US i will be able to legally own guns again (about fucking time) im a broke ass college kid tho.
so im looking for a cheap practical rifle that can be used for hunting (both small and bigger game) and home defence
>i live in texas our wild life isnt that big

i am really leaning towards a lever action rifle in .357
>hunt small game with .38
>hunt big game and burglars with .357
>realtively cheap to shoot
>no over penetration (i live in an apartment complex)

im looking at the Rossi R92

>what do you guys think

im open for suggestions, long range shooting is not a concern at the moment since we have alot of brush here.

Attached: 1474502586767.jpg (434x500, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/04/joe-grine/ammo-review-winchester-pdx1-defender-7-62-x-39/
youtube.com/watch?v=Msci2ciZ4yo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>>no over penetration (i live in an apartment complex)
There will be over penetration. Pistol rounds out of even a 10 inch barrel will turn your neighbor's neighbor's dog into Swiss cheese.

even with hunting loads?

what would you pick in my situation?

From my understanding lever action is going to be viable for hunting small game and non predatory large game. This is mainly because there are more viable and reliable weapon systems then lever action.

For home defense and hunting, my opinion is something in 7.62 x 54 or 308 although shooting the ladder indoors is not great for your hearing.

So AR 10 on the cheap
Cheap AK
SKS maybe if found realllly cheap

But unironically

Attached: 9-мм_пистолет_Макарова_с_патронами.jpg (1200x966, 176K)

Use frangible ammo

id consider an SKS if they were not 600 dollars :/

i really dont feel like hunting with a mak

Where are you they are 600 dollars?
The most expensive Ive seen recently is 400~

For 6 hundo buy a midrange AR or AK

SKS for anything less then 300

maybe its just my area, i remeber seeing SKS at the 400-500 dollar range. surplus is drying up my man.
my only concern is using a 30 caliber round inside an apartment complex.

>7.62x54
>.308 will hurt ears
>names guns chambered in 7.62x39

>Rossi R92
if you're gonna buy a levergat in .357 then buy a revolver in the same chamber and use that for HD, then maximum cowboy carry out doors

Buy frangible ammo

But WYA b? Im about an hour south of chiraq and lookin to get out

piece together a poorfag AR or buy some shit on the used market. AR prices are cheap as shit

>hunting (both small and bigger game) and home defence
>long range shooting is not a concern at the moment since we have alot of brush here
>Rossi R92
>.357

Great choice. Have you researched if they are available anywhere? I bought mine a few years ago but I read about a year ago that they were hard to find because Rossi was moving that production to a new factory. You might want to look into it.

Attached: IMG_0538[1].jpg (1006x489, 300K)

I wont be held responsible for people listening to someone's advice who is clinically retard

they are out there, i wouldnt mind a marlin either, they are just a bit more expensivem, although my first rifle was a marlin 336 so they do give me a nostalgia boner.

Honestly I think your choice is perfect. As another user said, I'd suggest a .357 revolver to go along with the purchase.

Large birdshot is a good bet for hd

you thought about a 12 gauge pump? hella cheap to buy and shoot, use bird shot or skeet sporting loads to avoid over penetration (since the individual bb's dont have much mass they have individually less energy and less acceleration, if youre in an apt prolly not shooting distances far enough to not have most of the load hit and atleast fuck them hard, also you have a variety for loads that can kill bears if you want.

central texas

id lie if i havent looked at some revolvers as well, im a mixture between a fudd and a cold war hipster.

yeah that would be down the road, ive been looking at the EAA windicator.

goofed they have less force and less energy since they dont have much mass individually

i have consider shotguns, but desu im a rifle guy not a shotgun, ill get a cheap maverick 88 in the future but i need a rifle, i used to be one of this faggots on pick related

Attached: air.jpg (1024x683, 124K)

>birdshot for HD
Yeah, if killing the intruder isn't a priority or the intruder is a large avian creature

Attached: 1525352377303.png (550x543, 25K)

I understand entirely I shot trap and skeet competitive for too long and now I have an odd lean towards 12ga for most questions about what gun.

>point blank range with birdshot
works great in KSGs

you ever patterned 12 ga bird shot at 25 yards? with an improved cylinder choke (open) it all stays relatively together not much strays to the edge of the paper. on a 2 foot by 2foot or so target

I wasn't referring to spread, it has shit penetration

Fuck are you talking about? Anything unarmored is getting fucked up, nogunz retard.

if you're a poorfag college kid I highly recommend reloading if you're going with .357/.38. You can get a lee loader on amazon for around 30 bucks. Brass, primers, powder, and bullets will run you another hundred, but you keep reusing the brass and getting new bullets as you need them. You'll drive your prices way down in the long run, plus it's fun and super satisfying to make your own ammo.

>fucked up
With only flesh wounds you absolute retard. Bird shot will not stop a charging attacker. Humans are much more resilient than ducks or doves.

Just get a 12 ga. pump. It'll do everything you're asking

>EAA Windicator
they're a really solid choice if you're going maximum poorfag with a revolver. I also have had really good personal experience with my Taurus 66, but ymmv with them.

>Fell for the stopping power meme
nogunz confirmed

>cheap practical rifle that can be used for hunting (both small and bigger game) and home defence
You want a shotgun then. If super poorfag go for the Maverick 88, if a bit bigger budget get yourself a Mossberg 500

Birdshot inside of 20ft is absolutely fatal.

Nice reference my dude

Good choice OP. What they didn't tell you about is fun factor. While getting a 12 gauge is also a perfectly good choice for what you're considering, few things on Earth match the simple pleasure of working that lever.

Every single case where the perp eventually died, he continued attacking and eventually died at the hospital. There are more perps who survived. Stopping power isn't a fucking meme unless, otherwise you'd carry a pellet gun and pray for infections.

I'm not the guy you have been arguing with, but I feel like chiming in.

Do you understand how shot placement works? It only matters if the round is capable of penetrating deep enough to hit something vital. Birdshot might mangle their pectoral muscle but it's not going to penetrate deep enough to hit anything vital. The 9mm vs .45 stopping power argument is irrelevant because both rounds DO penetrate. Birdshot still hurts, I'm not volunteering to take a shot of it myself. But there is literally nothing stopping you from using buckshot so why not use that in stead? It's not expensive, why would you intentionally use worse ammo?

It absolutely is not and there are tons of cases of people surviving close range shots from birdshot. I'll go get sources if you need it, and you go get sources of how lethal it is.

>what is penetration?

Attached: 1525785644439.png (625x773, 111K)

What country?

> rossi r92

Lucky for you, buddy, marlin has FINALLY stepped up production of the 1894c 357 lever action rifle. There are a few ready to buy with free shipping for $700 on buds gun shop.

Go American, buy marlin.

>choose a caliber that is good for
>home defense
>small and big game hunts
Nice bait fag. Just get two guns. One for defense and one for hunting.

something i did with ur mom last night lmao

I know you're memeing but a wad of birdshot to the sternum will break it and possibly stop the heart. Ask me how I know..

Attached: 39951_1.jpg (550x550, 24K)

too long didnt read

I believe it. If you did read you might not be so stupid.

Holy shit I need it.

DFW here. $760 was the highest I saw for an aka with a shitty extendo

Attached: 1511194212242.jpg (960x720, 47K)

kek

Have you considered a 12 ga shotgun?
Mossberg sells a combo kit with both an 18.5" barrel and a 28" vent rib barrel.

Seems to fit the bill for home defense and Hunting

Attached: 46907_1.jpg (500x104, 5K)

Also they can be had for less than $400 on sale if you are patient.

They're also almost always easily found at pawn shops

Attached: 677D0F1A-5273-49E6-8D58-3A22A56F39C8.jpg (360x280, 37K)

>the blood
>the screaming
>make it stop

Attached: wojak looking into sunset.jpg (653x490, 32K)

>whats up kids i grew up around fire arms in my country, now i live in the US i will be able to legally own guns again (about fucking time)
Cool, I've sold firearms to foreign students before. I assume that you're not a US citizen/resident yet? Anyway, you have your Hunter's Safety permit and hunting license, afaik. At least that's what is required in Wyoming.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with a levergat or building an AR. Check local pawn shops and gun stores for SKS'; they shouldn't be over $500. I bought a Yugo in Longview back in April for $399. 7.62x39 is cheap and plentiful still, and it can definitely kill a deer. If you'd consider 223, buy an Anderson or PSA lower (it'll do) and watch for a PSA sale on an upper build kit or pick an upper from Hardened Arms and assemble the lower with your own parts. (You can buy a cheap LPK from DPMS and a decent M4 stock from Brownells if you're wanting to shave $$$)

Also, buy PDX ammo for it; you can shoot it in your apartment, then.
>thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/04/joe-grine/ammo-review-winchester-pdx1-defender-7-62-x-39/
>youtube.com/watch?v=Msci2ciZ4yo

Attached: reply_moo_for_more_pics.jpg (450x313, 25K)