Rifle plate armor

Jow Forums I know im going to sound autistic, and I'm sorry. But if anyone could just tell me why the following is not possible, I'd really appreciate it.
So the big concern with steel plate armor is spalling, blunt trauma to a lesser degree, but spalling over all from what Ive read/watched.

Is there any reason we can't make a bevor (pic related) from ar500 kind of steel, then put a steep slant like old timey breast plates the bullet would move to the left or right most likely? I realize muh arms, but one limb at a time.

Or am I completely retarded and spalling is not an issue because of some memesack iraqveteran1488 is going to be selling in a video?

Attached: 1345616626.png (500x500, 162K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster_Body_Shield
youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Weight. To make it thick enough to actually defeat steel core rifle rounds its going to be so heavy you won't be able to hike any distance at all. Might make sense for a special team deployed by vehicle right up to the site of operations like a SWAT team, but you aren't going to want to wear it for any length of time or cover any distance wearing it.

That is the problem with pretty much all body armor that can actually protect from rifles. To have protection beyond vital organs in your chest gets super bulky and heavy. So people end up only using a plate on their chest/back.

have fun getting a cheek weld in that thing

on a more serious note by the time you purchased the tooling and equipment to make it or payed a machine shop their fee you could buy enough quality ceramic for the whole family, even the dog. seriously, ever had a machine shop do custom fab work? they make jews look charitable.

Given the sharp angle, in my OP pic, wouldn't the round most likely just skim off to the side?

If the primary goal is to make steel plate viable on the chest by counter-acting spalling to the neck/face, this wouldn't need to be the thickest/heaviest steel.

I dont want custom work, I want to know why this isn't even an option already. First user said weight. Youre going with cost and the cheekweld meme, which doesn't apply with quality optics(hell even low quality).

Attached: 1488304995463.gif (500x375, 953K)

>sharp angle
Why do you pretend to know the angle you will be shot from. You are assuming you are going up against only a single threat and you are facing them so your armor is angled optimally.

>Given the sharp angle, in my OP pic
ah yes because people stand up in the same exact posture 100% of the time

So the assumption is worst case scenario everything; so we shouldn't try?

because a lot of modern infantry and police doctrine revolves around not getting shot in the first place, hence why most armor, helmets, and eyewear is more designed around industrial envrionments and protection from either low-calibre rounds or shrapnel from shitty IEDs that are common as opposed to high calibre rounds and big debris that can be circumvented entirely with good movement and protection by vehicles and big shields and such.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster_Body_Shield

Attached: Брюстера_броня.png (724x715, 919K)

By the time you have full protection from multiple angles the weight and bulk is so ridiculous you can hardly wield a rifle properly.

What scenario are you imagining? A regular soldier needs to carry that shit long distances 24/7 for weeks at a time. They aren't in combat 99.9% of the time. I can only imagine super high protection high coverage armor making sense for something lime SWAT where they are driven right up to the door in a vehicle and only need to do a very specific mission that will probably last under 1 hour

Even then, imagine having to clear out the entir Mandalay Bay property in your Call of Duty Juggernaut suit.

Clearing out a 2 story motel in regular kit still requires a certain degree of physicality.

I saw WW1 rounded armor plates for snipers/observers full of rifle caliber holes, good luck finding something that works and doesn't crush you under its weight

>cheekweld meme, which doesn't apply with quality optics

Ask me how I know you don't shoot

If you assume something on par with ye olde plate armor it's actually a lot more flexible than you'd expect, and with modern technology I'd wager you could make a suit that's mobile enough for most SWAT situations without being TOO obnoxiously heavy. Obviously it'd be retarded to even consider giving it to some GI who's going to lose half of it trekking across dirtfuckistan and dying of heat stroke, but for something like room clearing in a hostage situation it seems like it'd be handy.

Also bear in mind that if it's being marketed to police it doesn't necessarily need to stop rifle rounds, making a suit that stops handguns for cops would probably be enough, and if you really need EVEN MORE armor you could wear a plate carrier over your plate armor, (because as everyone knows SWAT teams clearing houses love wearing as much weight to slow them down and fatigue them as possible.)

That said once they get the battery life on one of those exoskeleteens to an hour or two I'm sure it won't be long after that someone decides to go full Space Marine and coat one in armor.

Attached: 1508626340897.png (657x539, 110K)

Its entirely doable. If you can keep the total weight to around....90lbs fully distributed across the body that is about 30lbs less than I had to carry while deployed, which was just on my back.

Big thing is this though. Shit better stand up to steel core 30-06 or better. Rifle rounds are getting more aggressive, so we run into the dilemma of armor vs weapon.

Well, if you're going to make that kind of armor, make it look nice
>Apex Predator

Attached: Tyler Smith Body Armor.png (2560x1440, 1.74M)

>If you assume something on par with ye olde plate armor it's actually a lot more flexible than you'd expect, and with modern technology I'd wager you could make a suit that's mobile enough for most SWAT situations without being TOO obnoxiously heavy.

What? No. You can't change, well to any significant degree, the density of steel. You can make it ductile, but the bending moment of this steel is designed to be actuated after tons of force have being applied. It only really applies to when steel yields. Some Joe in a steel suit is going to have difficulty of manipulating the suit, whether it's ductile iron or steel.

Aluminum, titanium, what ever other metal you pull out of your ass, density and ductility still apply. There are other factors too which render full ballistic suits totally useless to everyone but you. You can't side step physics and metallurgy because you watch anime.

Attached: 1503938540447.jpg (167x175, 13K)

Because you don't own a scope that is high enough quality to counter act parallaxing?

No one is shooting iron sights anymore Gramps.

Attached: 1529528454297.jpg (298x298, 10K)

I bet you couldn't do 5 situps and 10 pushups in your platecarrier as is, yet your scared ass wants MORE weight to carry.
You could get shot in 100 places, bleed out, and not a scratch on your plates.

Apply that to current body armor and tell me how stupid of a strawman argument you just gave me. You can't plan for everything but the words typical or normal exist for a reason you potato mashing retard.

Thicc. I saw a repro of this, looks neat.

I'm imagining if jamalasaurus breaks into my house, he's going to hear the clanking of me trying to put this on, in the dark.

Essentially small buildings with known threats. And like I said in the op, I'm looking for spalling counter measures. I'm always happy to go full bore tism and make lamallar armor out of Target plates....oh fuck that sounds cool. I'll do the math.

We didn't really have our metallurgy worked out back then.

Let's just keep fighting the tribes the USA supplies so we only get 5.56 coming our way.

Please no, that 2 ton epoxy garbage is worthless unless you're dead poor.

When he says flexible he means the joints and parts of the body that needed to bend were made of rigid overlapping plates. Not bendy wendy steel.

I'll settle for shuffling my feet in the direction of the nearest racoon that dares to disturb me.

Attached: 1525106019572.jpg (564x796, 58K)

Nigger you don’t even have a sight picture when your face is two feet away from the stock

That's a pretty stupid thing to say, why would you want to hold your gun 2 feet away from your face?

You should look into getting a scope, even a 100 dollar one would significantly help you out.

I’ll bite, you’re holding the gun 2 feet away from your face because your retarded spall guard chin piece is in the way. If you weren’t actually a no-guns you’d know how much of an eye box youd have on any sort of optic

>If you assume something on par with ye olde plate armor

Aka 1.5 to 2 to 2.8mm thickness max? yeah, no.

The whole fecking point of guns and crossbows killing articulated plate armor was that armor weight is more or less capped while coverage isn't. Armor had to become thicker to stop new weapons, resulting in less coverage from the same weight; and that tradeoff remains the same.

So what about those anti-spall coatings on steel plates? Do they help or nah?

Has anyone tried a composite plate armor made of titanium, stainless, ar500 and some polymer for spall lining? If I ever get my shit together I'd like to create a video archive of as many different calibers and types of munition being shot at as many different thickness and alloys of metal as I can get my hands on at at least three angles. 90, 45 and maybe 15. Its driven me nuts trying to find any comprehensive penetration data for anything other than RHA from the mid to late 40's, and only then from anti-armor weapons.

Attached: 1527185080672.jpg (960x720, 63K)

There's no reason why you *can't* make one, that question in and of itself ain't worth much. The question is whether or not it'd actually be worth the extra money, weight, and lack of air flow and I'd hazard a guess at no.

Doing a rough calculation for the weight for the surface area needed, I end up around 250 pounds to cover the whole body with a Level III+ steel or level IV ceramic plate ...

You'd need to get down to 50 pounds for it to allow such movement:
youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc

Unless lighter or significantly stronger materials became available or the suit is powered you'll simply end up being a target unable to move waiting to be taken apart by AP rounds ...

>Has anyone tried a composite plate armor made of titanium, stainless, ar500 and some polymer for spall lining?
Yeah.
It's ok.

Yes, they are a reasonable alternative to this bullshit. Steel plates still have higher levels of BFS which can kill. Hesco 4400 is king of budget ceramic plates at $130.

Couls be useful for security personnel/people who don't go on patrols/only operate heavy weapons. You could use a pistol ok but the issue comes with shouldering the weapon. So machinegunners, artillery crews(though the tend to wear very little anyway), ect
The primary issue is nobody wants to wear shit heavy enough to stop significant rifle threats.

>ever had a machine shop do custom fab work? they make jews look charitable.
fuck off that shit takes a while

From what Ive seen they just fall off after a couple hits.

Hardcore Defence uses some kind of super thin steel thats somehow level IIIA for their Alpha shield, i dont see any reason why you couldnt somehow forge it into a suit of plate mail as long as it was tempered back to spec.

Only thing is this shield costs $300 so i cant imagine it would exactly be a cheap suit of armor.

Also while its not technically rated for rifle rounds, tests have show it holding up to some beefy rifle rounds hitting it head on and i can imagine the curves of plate armor would only help it.

Attached: [email protected] (810x810, 18K)

Why is k so full of retards like op?