First shotgun

What would yall recommend for a first shotgun around the 3-400 price range?

>Not too familiar with shotguns (cityfag)
>Hear 870s are shit now
>Yet theres still debates about it and the 500
>Looking for a multi purpose weapon

Attached: The-Mossberg-590-below-is-a-popular-tactical-variation-on-the-legendary-500-.jpg (1000x750, 261K)

Other urls found in this thread:

grabagun.com/mossberg-590a1-xs-security-12-20-3-pkz.html
youtube.com/watch?v=5KzYtUNuYKw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

mossberg 500

Can I get an Ithaca 37 for a decent price?

Slugmaster

Shockwave

It still works, I'll be replacing it shortly, but it's still functional

Attached: shitpipe.png (1920x889, 1.99M)

This pic triggers Jow Forums autists

Attached: IMG_3505.jpg (3212x1566, 823K)

I really like my 870P, but I wouldn’t trust a modern Express line gun desu.
I quite like the Nova too but keep in mind that you can’t change out the stock.

an old used 870 from before the sturmscheisse or a 590 either one

Attached: 820.jpg (2856x967, 1.06M)

Look at that pure steel receiver with beautiful natural patina, the only aluminum is the trigger group, not like a fucking Mossberg toy gun. This lovely vintage Remington 870P is truly a masterpiece of a collectors item. Only gets better with age.

the 870's are weird, I bought one a few months ago and mine functions perfectly fine. Remingtons quality control is seriously lacking as a buddy of mine got an 870 around the same time as me and his a giant piece of shit. I would recommend a 590a1 for personal use, I went with the 870 cause I use it for work and outfitted it with a hogue pistol grip and magpul ctr stock which I could do with the 590 but the placement of the safety was an issue.

Does your friend know how to operate the shotgun platform?

I went for 590a1 as my first shotgun and I wasn't disappointed at all. It's amazing.
I told the guy at the gun shop that I want my first pump action shotgun and he told me.
> Buy this and you wouldn't need to buy anything else.
It's great but he was wrong anyway, I came back for Norinco 1897... cuz of easthetic.
Shotguns are fun in general.

Attached: ffh.jpg (711x1263, 327K)

Cant believe I relied on this thing for HD

Jerry Micelek likes the 500. The Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 were a matter of personal preference a decade ago. Last couple of years Remington apparently lost all QC. So the Mossberg wins.

Realistically though? Just handle a bunch in your price range. One will feel better than the others. Buy that one. Stock design is more complex than you'd think, and a shotgun that fits you well (and you can tell just by hefting it) will hit more easily for you and recoil less.

In the past couple years Remington seems to have improved their quality. The problem is that the 870 is a gun that when made properly can't sell for 3-400. That's why a new 870 Police or Wingmaster are fine, but a new Express is hit-or-miss.

There's the Mossberg 500, the Winchester SXP (made in Turkey), the Chinese 870 clones, etc., etc. You'd probably be alright with the 500 or SXP (or one of the clones if you check it out before buying).

The other alternative would be to get a used 870 Police- most of them just rode around in a patrol car and got a bit scratched.

I've been looking into getting a 930 for HD. Really wishing theyd make a mag fed version though

go with a 500, maybe a used 590A1

Attached: 590a1smoke.jpg (800x532, 239K)

if u dont own a baikal mp-133, what r u even doing???

Buy a standard magazine length 500 and then throw whatever you want on it.

28" vent rib for birds
18" bead for HD
24" Fully Rifled cantilever with scope for deer
Muzzleloader conversion barrel for max autism

Attached: IMG_4885.jpg (2304x1728, 1.4M)

H&R pardner

>multi purpose weapon
Mossberg 500.

You'll get the typical recommendations of 870 vs 500. All ill say is give the benelli nova line a look. They get mentioned rather little but come from a good brand and have a very good rep.
Yup, camp armslist. see them for 200-400 fairly regularly. May have to chop down a barrel though.
>Jerry Micelek likes the 500
I prefer the 500 over the 870 these days too, but tbf as i recall jerry is sponsored by mossberg and S&W right?

My Mossberg 500 was the 3rd gun I ever bought. Over 70, over a dozen of which were shotguns have come and gone since.

Besides Remington QC issues the Mossberg 500 has merits of it's own.
> Dual extractors help deal with steel based shells.
> Elevator folds flush with the bolt when in battery, so it's out of the way during loading.
> No finger pinching during loading.
> Combo models come with both skeet and hd length barrels, letting one gun fit all shotgun roles.
> Tang safety is comfy to reach and visible near the sight picture.
> Ejector can easily be replaced with a screwdriver, not that you will ever need to.
> Aluminum receiver cuts down weight and cost, also won't rust.

Between the Remington and Mossberg I think Mossberg is the clear choice. There's nothing wrong with just liking the Remington however, but I would recommend an older one ir a Chinese clone.

Also older Winchester 1300s are common and worth considering if you can find one for that butter smooth action.

Hi friend.

Attached: topfolder.jpg (2624x1136, 730K)

Agree with this entirely, only reason id be tempted by remington would be the safety placement if i was going to go with a pistol grip. But that's just me.

Baikal MP133
Pic related, that pump.
Best shotgun I’ve ever used, cost me 300 out the door

Attached: 46BE2AE2-3F98-4F82-BC53-3A97807B7A6C.jpg (2048x1536, 843K)

Even then Maverick 88s have crossbolt safeties just like the Remington.

I will say this as far as drawbacks.
Mossberg 500s and 88s can't take tube extensions, so you're either committing to a 7+1 20" or barrel versatility but only 5+1 cap.
Also the forends are loose. This is by design but feels cheap and puts people off.

Buy a Mossberg 500 and then puichase a raptor grip

>cuts down the length of the firearm to one half inch over the legal limit

Got a 20ga Shockwave coming in next week did I fuck up?

Also my 2016 870

Attached: 870.jpg (2700x1250, 1.89M)

Op this is probably the best pump shotty your money will get you.

grabagun.com/mossberg-590a1-xs-security-12-20-3-pkz.html

Nope, kit it out for maximum lulz

Attached: 20180428_205235.jpg (3264x2448, 2.18M)

You are a gentleman, and a scholar.

I was tempted to find one of those stocks but every serviceman I have heard from that used them hated them said they were terrible to use.

how was the norinco 1897? I want one but I hear so many mixed opinions on the chinese

>but every serviceman I have heard from that used them hated them said they were terrible to use.
Correct

They look cool and that's literally it. They are painful to shoot and not practical at all.

I also want to know. In addition, has anybody heard anything about the cimarron 1897's?

Granted I don't shoot 3 inch magnums often, but that stock is most definitely NOT painful to shoot with regular buckshot.

It's just not ergonomic and feels like shit, I guess in that sense, it's a painful experience for the shooter.

I would trust my life with a 930. Regular 00, 2 3/4". Pew pew motha fucka.

OP should save a few hundred more and get a 930. Otherwise, get a 590a1.

I'm kind of a old dude for the chan but I would say Mossberg 500.

>cheap
>decently reliable
>prolific aftermarket mods up the ass
>baby's first 12ga

Attached: mos 500.jpg (2461x541, 499K)

>What would yall recommend for a first shotgun around the 3-400 price range?

mp-153

whats the best 870 receiver to build a home defense build on? an old wingmaster? old police model?

I have a mossberg 500 that I have probably put 20,000 shells through. I hose it down with brake cleaner and spray it with some oil maybe twice a year. When it finally breaks I will go buy another one.

>When it finally breaks I will go buy another one.
Why don't you just maintain it properly so it lasts instead of buying another one?

Vintage 870s are great but I’ve beat the shit out of my aluminum mossy and it still works like a Swiss watch.
My dad has an 870 from 1972. I’ve used it since I was a kid but it’s been a safe queen since my dad retired. (From hunting, and work.)

Life is too short and I have too many guns to clean as it is to be fucking around with maintaining a $300 shotgun that I can replace in 30 minutes at academy.

Dude I dig that cheesegrater on your mossy

Just got mine, my first shotgun was a Chinese clone POS I got at a pawnshop so I dont claim it. Picked up my 51771 for $415. I went with the Mesa Tactical adapter, Magpul CTR, and Hogue pistol grip. You do have to go out of your way for the safety, and the safety has to break in I think cause it is abnormally tough to use. You don't have to move too much for the slide release but you have to remove it from your shoulder. I put a Barska 1x ACOG on mine cause I got it from a buddy for $35 still coming together. Picked it up from my FFL yesterday.

Actually I think you have the 51771 too. I hate the tri-rail forend and I'm replacing it. Feels like cheap plastic. Also, how is the AFG? Thought about it but seems like a pain in the ass to rack a shell into the chamber

Can I get some advice, my Mossberg 500 has been having light strikes as of late, will replacing the hammer spring help? Its a really weird issue because its a 2017 production and isn't beat to shit or anything.

If used, yes. Also, I would recommend feeling one in a store. Blued steel is way better than parkerized coating.

That requires getting into the trigger group which is a big-time no-no. Do not do that as you will have a bitch of a time getting it back together later.

Since it's a relatively new gun contact Mossberg CS and follow up with them. They'll probably fix it for free.

Are Mossberg trigger groups that hard to work on? I was planning on just buying a new trigger group but they've spiked in price, the metal ones are now over $200 and the plastic ones are $100 which is more than double what both were a few months ago

Wait what the fuck
youtube.com/watch?v=5KzYtUNuYKw
Its a 3 minute job with a two dollar tool, goddamn just when I thought a tripfag wasn't a full of shit retard using his trip for no fucking reason here you go proving me wrong

Nice, got a pic of it? Is it in nice condition? My Rem870P is from the 90's.

You don't need special tools to dissemble and repair Remington 870 (the only thing you really will ever need to do is change a spring.)

Or have your extractor welded back in for post-'06 models

My tactishit 870 is still in good shape. No rust afaik. Just keep in mind that parkerizing needs oil in it to be effective. Just take it out once in a while and rub it with ballistol or teflon oil or some shit.

Attached: manstoppers.jpg (1632x918, 397K)

Armscor M5

Why? It's aesthetic

>heat guard on shockwave
That's hot

what picatinny adapter thingy?

I believe he is.

At the very least he uses the 500 a lot. It was also in his answer to "only three guns" questions. At his level though, if he really liked another shotgun he could get an endorsement.

I'm a major Remington fan, but the current 870 express line is a garbage.
Old wingmasters are godly- especially the TB/TC tournament grades.
If you want new, get a Mossberg 500/590.
Benneli are nice but a few more bucks.
If you want the best, get a vintage wingmaster.

Top pic is my 1966 870 TB. Bottom is just a youth stock with nice grain I picked up for a 1971 field grade I have with a damaged stock.

Attached: 1517095285335.jpg (3812x2514, 1.82M)

This is a 1968 870TB.
Original finish.
Picture is about a year old.
Sold for $425. I wish I would have bought it, but I had just purchased a couple other firearms and couldn't justify one more.
Mossberg has never sold a firearm of this quality.

Attached: pix564870197.jpg (640x480, 67K)

Go cheaper with Steven's 320 combo. Security and hunting all in a nice pump 12 gauge. Now you can spend the rest on a nice sleeve, bird/buck/slug shells.

Attached: Stevens 320 combo.png (691x376, 85K)

It all depends on what particular piece you get, you may get flawless piece, but there are great possibility that you' gonna get some issues, at the beginning at least. Chinese have some inconsistency in production, but it's nothing you can't resolve on your own. You need to disassemble it, clean it, fire couple of shells, then you'll see where wear marks are, polish it, etc.

I like AFG a lot, it no longer feels like you are masturbating holes into the targets, it allows you to utilize two grips, normal comfortable one and uncomfortable rapid fire. I know I could get normal forend grip but I didn't want something sticking out of the profile too much.

Attached: 4445.jpg (879x332, 135K)

I'm taking my tri-rail off, it's a piece of shit. That rail hit my thumb lol. After that I gripped it right, but it just feels like cheap plastic.

The only thing that I don't like about it is the wiggle, I was considering magpul forend for a while but I want rail at the bottom.

>Bought a Mossberg 500
>Came with an 28 inch barrel

sniper town here I come

What barrel size should I switch to? I'm think 18.5 inch, or 20 Inch for home defense.

Also, what stock is good? I'm looking at ebay stocks and having trouble finding one that doesnt look cheap.

I'd buy an 18.5 inch barrel and the Magpul stock/fore-end combo.

I'm going to get the magpul forend for sure, but I might get the Mlok to picatinny converter rail if I go with the AFG. Idk though, I'm about to head to a buddys house and while I'm there I'll put his magpul AFG on my gun and see how I like it. Yeah the low tolerance wiggle sucks, but as I understand it helps the gun to last longer. Also scratches the shit out the mag tube.

Ditto with the 18.5 barrel, but get a Hogue short LOP stock.

I got an Magpul CTR and a Mesa Tactical adapter, Hogue grip, and I just ordered a limbsaver pad. 3in 00buck dont play with that hard ass magpul rubber. But I love the adjustable set up. Everyone can shoot my gun comfortably.

you do what you have to

590 or 590a1?

>I went with the 870 cause I use it for work and outfitted it with a hogue pistol grip and magpul ctr stock

How did you accomplish this?

Also, what do you do for work?

Mesa Tactical adapter is what I used and I assume he did the same. I have the same thing but mine is a 590A1

Thanks, didn't know about these.

I just found out that the Ithaca Gun Company still exists, Are new model 37s shit? or are they still good?

>that much money for a bare-bones pump action

I mean if you really love it that much...

500 is good, 590 is just more rugged with more metal parts, love my A1 but easily reccomend the 500. Mossberg 88 is alright, just expect zero parts swapping and customization with what you get being what you get, might be more budget and better for a beginner if you don’t wanna add parts for style.
Honestly go for the 88 or 500, get acquainted with the breakdown and such.
And, if you are full stupid/uninformed, just make sure you get the right ammo that it can handle so you can keep body parts.

I dig the aluminum trigger assembly housing in the A1s, and the parkerized internals

Does America use or know/care about the 12/65 12/67.5 12/70 12/76 12/89 etc. codes of shotgun shells?

For example, when it comes to 12/76, "12" is the gauge and "76" is the length of the shell apparently, which means that you can use a 12/70 shell in a 12/76 shotgun, but not 12/89 shell because 89 is too long for a shotty made for 12/76 shell. Am I correct? Maybe these codes a euro thing idk.

>Mossberg 88 is alright, just expect zero parts swapping and customization with what you get being what you get,
this is wrong the 88 is like 90% compatible with a 500. the issue is it isnt cost effective to customize. just to get an 88 to the base model config of a base 500 is about $100. at that point you should have just bought the 500.

No, we go gauge and shell length in inches.

2 3/4", 3", 3 1/2" 12 Gauge shells, for example.

Ah. That explains it, thanks. Never looked that up for some reason but guess I didn't need to.

np bro

america calls it 2 3/4, 3, and 3.5
2 3/4 is 12/70

12ga length is usually listed in plain inches
like a generic box of ammo would read something like: '12ga 2 3/4" 00 Buck', or '12ga 3" 000 Buck'

Why do they make a 9 shot 590 Mariner but not a 9 shot 590a1 Mariner? Is the coating worth the extra cost anyway?

>Is the coating worth the extra cost anyway?

It depends, it definitely is more rust resistant. Excellent for its name sake - maritime stuff. If I lived in Florida or something, that's the only coating I'd use for a 500.

It does get dingy though, I had a hard time making my mariner look clean when I had one.

think about it what the difference between a 590 and the 590 a1?
more metal parts
what rusts?
metal
polymer is better in for the purpose of rust prevention

I love my '65 870. Tank of a shotgun.

>savage 320

M8, those things are trash.

Attached: 699F0F96-4CE9-4EE2-9F74-9AC0F8DD5FE9.jpg (640x626, 113K)

mossberg 500AB mossberg 500AB mossberg 500AB mossberg 500 AB mossberg 500AB mossberg 500AB mossberg500AB mossberg 500AB

>AB

You mean either A or B? 12 or 20?

Is the 590a1 really worth the cost over the 500?

No.
It was designed for muhrines, in case they slammed the barrel in an up-armored humvee.
The added weight is pointless in the civilian world.

consider that the A1s have parkerized steel internals and an aluminum trigger assembly housing
a worthwhile upgrade to some