What was it like to fight from inside the Maginot line fortifications...

What was it like to fight from inside the Maginot line fortifications? What did it sound like when the steel cloches and turrets were hit with gunfire or artillery?

Attached: 7564fg.jpg (800x533, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Vaux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Imagine sitting inside a steel target watching people shoot at you with cannons.

Attached: episcope-blocjumelle_1.jpg (612x490, 71K)

Attached: a2.jpg (500x360, 42K)

Attached: a3 (1).jpg (500x360, 42K)

id imagine it would be like this

Attached: i-im f-fine.jpg (601x508, 28K)

Attached: a3.jpg (500x340, 49K)

It would probably suck, but not as much as Douaumont from years prior

fpbp

Imagine being in this.

Attached: Pitted Armor.jpg (2272x1704, 2.65M)

What would happen to the person inside that when it got hit?

Attached: swiss-cheese-800x800.jpg (800x800, 64K)

Believe it or not, the Germans stopped trying pretty quick. The initial probes got pushed back hard by the Maginot fortifications, and the offensive to the north allowed a large enough breakthrough to move enough men across anyways.
Being posted in the Maginot was a pretty chill assignment when compared to how the rest of the French army was doing.

Somewhat related: Maginot soldiers were notorious for being the chaddest of the French army. When not in combat, they would billet in whichever village was closest to their fortification and pretty much drown in pussy from the local girls.

>Maginot soldiers were notorious for being the chaddest of the French army. When not in combat, they would billet in whichever village was closest to their fortification and pretty much drown in pussy from the local girls.
Is that because they were told they were to never surrender and would die like submariners do, That was exactly what the officer at La Ferte was told when he asked to surrender.

Attached: 88mmvs.jpg (754x654, 222K)

Also meant to respond to:

Attached: 1455516359200.jpg (500x375, 73K)

I'm not the biggest history buff in the world but didn't they just go around it east to dutch territory then south into france and practically circumvent the entire maginot line?

It's just so unnnatural to see steel warped like clay.

west... not east

mmmmmm... fudge

See Fort Vaux for similar results
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Vaux

Attached: F4866F9E-0951-4C50-B0DB-7022BB9A5BE5.jpg (640x1036, 121K)

Yep. People still call expensive projects that turn out to be complete failures "Maginot lines".

They had accounted for that though, the French knew the germans were going to go north or south of the line and had troops at the north intended to grind down the germans advance and then push them back. Their error was thinking that the germans wouldn't dare to cross the ardennes forest with armor due to it being a very risky move.

Which is idiotic, they should call good ideas that fail to be properly capitalized upon Maginot Lines. The line was fine, the French just failed at the maneuver warfare to exploit it.

>fight
KEK!
every bunker had an ample supply of white sheets

They damn near didn't. They were going use the Schlieffen Plan all over again. Then a German officer got shot down over the Channel with the invasion plans and they had to assume the Allies knew, so they had to come up with some sort of last-second desperation move. Sauce: Guderian's memoirs.

Attached: maginot.jpg (309x299, 53K)

I visited Verdun last year including Douaumont and Vaux. The audio tour explained that whilst the German soldiers hated the claustrophobic conditions it was far more preferable that being outside.

I've been all over the Ypres salient, the Somme and Normandy and I've never experienced anything like Douaumont. The feeling of the earth and concrete above you pressing down is very real. Fuck adding the muffled roar and concussion of bursting shells above.

This is like saying that the French "won" WW1 because the Krauts withdrew, undefeated, to Germany due to economic disaster at home.
WW2 was just the re-start of WW1 because the French never won that war and, indeed, the only French wars that France was victorious in were the wars led by foreigners! France can't even win when fighting itself!

cont. this includes going down into the great war tunnels at Vimy ridge which were literally hewn out of the chalk without timber supports. I'd take being in those for extended periods of time than in Douaumont.

0/10

You won't bait me that easily friend

What was it getting hit by? 76mm?

It honestly has a 'demonic 'look to it.