Theoretically speaking, if I wanted a reliable...

Theoretically speaking, if I wanted a reliable, durable rifle for home defense (being able to shoot from an upper level like a loft, down at the front door/foyer) would something like a Steyr-AUG A3 suffice?

I've been looking at adding to my arsenal a rifle that isn't overly excessive in terms of customization, but has enough in the way of options, and has tight control. I live in a bad area, with tensions rising and I fear of break ins. I don't want to run the risk of not being able to defend my home with simply a handgun (I currently have a Sig P238 for CC)

Attached: steyr.jpg (648x432, 23K)

My opinion:
Get a poorfag AR for home defense. It's much cheaper and you won't be out a nice, expensive rifle if you use it and police take it away as evidence.

It would be overkill. A 12 gauge pump will suit you better. Less cost. Dead nuts reliable. Great power.

Yeah but I'm in Florida, they won't take it away and never give it back

are you sure about that?
tell us more about these rising tensions. its piqued my curiosity

Yeah, if you're rich enough to buy one after your first one is confiscated unconstitutionally if used in self defense, then an AUG would be pretty nice.

However, a suppressed 45aarp carbine would be healthier for your hearing, cheaper, and more fun.

get an AR pistol with a brace, it's cheaper than an Aug A3 and easier to replace when the police seizes it temporarily, should you ever use it in a deadly confrontation

.300blk pistol

An AUG would work just fine but it's a bit on the pricey side.

I'd be worried about it going "missing" if taken in as evidence. Cops do occasionally appropriate seized firearms, especially expensive, rare and interesting ones.

An AUG would be expensive but as bullpups are all rear heavy they are very good for HD because you can one hand them when you need to.

Or get a PCC.

An AUG would work perfectly well, in fact it's more than you really need, you can get a pretty good AR for less than half the cost. That said, a 12 gauge shotgun is a better home defense choice than any 5.56mm rifle.

What? How? How is that even remotely legal? You could sue the state for that and have them repay you at the least

It's not legal. They bank on it being too much of an uphill battle to prove that a crime was committed and that your rights were violated.

Of course you most likely would get your AUG back, but if you don't it'll cost tens of thousands of dollars to sue over it. Odds of winning are slim too given how much police are generally permitted to get away with. Plus there's the risk of becoming their favorite citizen to follow/harass which can also happen.

Never assume cops are on your side.
Never assume they aren't willing to bend the law for their own benefit or to cover for someone else.

It's easier to just eat a 2k loss and buy another AUG than to get into that mess. It's easier still to stick to practical but affordable guns for HD that you won't miss too much. You can get a solid AR for $600 and use that, but keep the AUG in the safe.

Real shit. Thanks.

Just make sure to take it out and test it hard. I've had problems with some cheap ARs not ejecting cases and double feeds.

But over all that was a subset of ARs and it is not going to hurt the gun to play around with it.

Also I want to clarify that if you want an AUG because you think it's cool you should totally buy it.

If you want to use it for home defense it will definitely do the job.

There's just that 1 in 100 chance of using it and a 1 in 1000 chance that it might tempt Porky McStickyfingers. It's also not unheard of to get evidence guns back with accessories (optics, lights, lasers) missing or that they occasionally get slated for destruction or auction to the public. As a rule I would write off anything going into police custody.

If you're fine with that risk and want to use it as your bump in the night gun more power to you.

IIRC, you can go to the station and demand a receipt of confiscation or whatever they call it and that kind of ties their hands with it disappearing. The issue is just you have to actually ask for it.

Just get a shockwave, slap a brace on it, load it with agila mini shells

How does this even happen? My cheap-o AR (AR556) is always *very* well lubricated and it'll shoot a thousand rounds with no issue. Granted, because it was so lubricated, it will be grimy as hell and will thus require some immediate cleaning, but I just clean it and lube it up again.

I feel like you need to be doing something wrong to cause a basic AR to malfunction. I.e. not lubricating your weapons properly, using shitty mags, etc.

Retard advice, it's like 2010 Jow Forums.
Pump actions have limited magasines, long barrels, little penetrative power, and most importantly they have little fire saturation.

Op just get a standard AR with a shorter barrel. It's cheaper, lighter and with more accesories because you will need a serious light with a trigger switch, otherwisee you will end up not being able to I'd a target and an intruder might fire at you blindly

>long barrels
roughly as long as other barrels
>little penetrative power
can be customized with munition type
>limited magasines
extended magazine tubes and magazine shotguns are pretty popular

> you will need a serious light with a trigger switch, otherwisee you will end up not being able to I'd a target and an intruder might fire at you blindly
weapons mounted lights are a terrible idea, the intruder will instinctively attack the light source, which would happen to be right at your face level

>Retard advice, it's like 2010 Jow Forums.
You weren't even out of diapers in 2010, nigger

A suppressed Cx4 :3

Attached: download.jpg (446x113, 7K)

actually not bad, and you can get it so your mags are interchangeable with a pistol

I've been wanting something 'cool' lately, like an Aug, ps90 or tavor come to mind. I like the ps90 the most but I don't think I could live with myself paying 50cpr for hipster .22 magnum. Plus I live in Colorado and high cap magazines are a pain in the ass to obtain and I already have 30 round ar mags so thats a plus for Aug/tavor.

But all that aside any of those 3 would be at least twice as much as the most expensive gun I currently own. Talk me out of this, Jow Forums

Attached: 1528855101701m.jpg (1024x663, 194K)

>A3
D R O P P E D

>Cops
>Caring about what's "legal" and what's not

Attached: 1526985099752.jpg (541x480, 23K)

just get a small ar15

Always seemed like a nearly ideal small property/indoor home defense gun to me.

florida is a cuckstate now

Jesus you are a sheltered one aren't you.

>weapons mounted lights are a terrible idea, the intruder will instinctively attack the light source, which would happen to be right at your face level
Are you trolling or actually retarded

>THIS IS ACTUALLY WHAT FEDERAL AGENTS TEACH

You should be getting that receipt for any property taken from you by police. In the case of a home defense shooting, you should have called a lawyer after hanging up on the 911 dispatcher anyway, but if not for some reason, damn sure call them if you don't get that receipt.

>weapons mounted lights are a terrible idea
First, show me a better way to actually ID my target with a long gun.

>they won't take it away and never give it back
They will steal everything on the pic rails and the rifle itself unless you lawyer up to get it back.
You will not get the shit from the rails back ever.
t. live in Florida and have friends who have had cool property go mysteriously "missing" from evidence lockers
The sooner you realize that 80% of humanity are lying cheating sons of bitches the better off you will be.

Just because police departments do it doesn't mean they'll get away with it. Especially if I come from a high profile background/family, I'll make sure they get in trouble

>Especially if I come from a high profile background/family, I'll make sure they get in trouble
I hope that works out well for you.

Attached: Carlton.jpg (600x750, 48K)

I mean, uncle Phil did come to the police station and big dick the hell out of those cops when will and Carlton got arrested

Attached: 1 handed rifle and light.jpg (675x450, 56K)

That's not how lights work idiot.

he said better way, not objectively awful for a home intruder scenario

>Pump actions have limited magasines
How many rounds are you planning on firing in a home defense situation? Most of the time one shot will be sufficient, whether you hit the guy or he goes running because "oh fuck, they've got a gun." Having 5-8 rounds leaves you plenty prepared.

>long barrels
Not substantially more so than any other long gun. If that's a big concern, a magazine-in-grip pistol caliber carbine like a CX4 Storm is the best choice.

>little penetrative power
This is absolutely a positive in a home defense weapon for obvious reasons. Why would you ever want more penetration than 0 buckshot offers? You're not Jason Bourne, nobody's kicking in your door wearing 3A body armor. In fact, switching down to number 4 buck for less penetration is generally a good idea.

>they have little fire saturation.
I'd really hate to be your neighbor, one raccoon knocking over a trashcan and you're dumping a whole mag of 5.56 through the wall like the VC are coming to steal your tendies.

unless you are using it exclusively to blind then shoot, the position of the light will give you away

>show me a better way to actually ID my target

Attached: Tactical Light.png (660x300, 251K)

Troll confirmed. Fat fuck here will get ventilated in the time it takes him to aim two separate things and steady a bobbing 9 lb loaded rifle moving ever more violently than normal due to adrenaline shakes and a shitty, mechanically disadvantageous hold.

>cant empty a mag into a 6 foot target with one hand at less than 20 yards
you can hip fire if you need to, its not like it takes that much effort to hit a door sized target

>durable

yeah sure a plastic hammer is soooo durable.

Attached: A4hammer.jpg (640x480, 53K)

Don't use a rifle for home defense, because unless you live in an extremely rural place there's a chance the bullet will pass through your wall and maybe into someone else's house.

You'd be surprised how little spread there is on a shotgun, even with a 20" barrel. Most home defense engagements take place at less than 10 yards, which is about a 4 or 5 inch spread, I'd bet a fair chunk of money that the distance from your loft to foyer isn't more than 25 yards, which is more than close enough for a non-choked shotgun, add some chokes and you can increase that distance by a fair bit.

The chances of you hitting someone with a rifle in the dark, while hopped up on adrenalin and just waking up are pretty slim, and shotguns take some of the need for accuracy away.

There's a reason shotguns are considered the best "home defense" guns.

>burglar inna dark
>300+ lumen light suddenly sears corneas into oblivion
>scared, blinded, surprised
>have instantaneous reaction time and ability to accurately shoot right at light source
I don't have any brainlet pics on my phone but imagine I put one up with this post

a Steyr is a good rifle.

it's reliable, and a polymer bullpup with easy breakdown and barrel swap, and a kind of neat retro/future aesthetic.

But do yourself a favor and get it with a rail not the built in optic if you do decide to get one, unless you don't plan on installing anything, because the vanilla donut sight is still better than nothing

With defensive loads, 5.56 penetrates less walls than common handgun calibers

>The chances of you hitting someone with a rifle in the dark, while hopped up on adrenalin and just waking up are pretty slim, and shotguns take some of the need for accuracy away.

Yeah, because it's impossible to hit a man sized target at 7 yards with a rifle.

Disregarding the fact that you have 30 fucking rounds on tap.

>There's a reason shotguns are considered the best "home defense" guns.

Because of people who don't actually have to shoot people in their profession

There's a reason SWAT teams use ARs

>There's a reason SWAT teams use ARs
What are you on about summer child? SWAT teams use a variety of weapons for different situations, and a shotgun is definitely one of them.

I'll keep that in mind when I spot someone down the hall and I half to walk half way down it to turn on the light. Home invaders let you do that, right?

Aurora here, centennial gun club sells standard mags for ar-'s and pistols even though a lot of other stores won't. Also my brother just bought an steyr aug a3m1 off of gunprime and loves it

>With some defensive loads, 5.56 typically penetrates less walls than common handgun calibers
ftfy, Not all defensive rounds tend to shed weight through common housing materials and for those that do it's hardly guaranteed.

we have friends out of state who send us the aug 42 rounders

Attached: 20170303_200536.jpg (4032x3024, 2.95M)

>There's a reason SWAT teams use ARs
SWAT uses a whole bunch of shit, not just ARs. And you're ignoring the fact that they need accuracy because there might be hostages, and the fact that they're extensively trained for the exact situation they're in.

Self defense loads aren't a thing where I'm from because of gun laws and such. Didn't think they'd actually make a defensive rifle round.

>Be so dark out that you need a WML to ID a target in the first place
>home invader walks into the fatal funnel youre camping like a good boy
>800 or more lumen light literally temporarily blinds him while you ID him
>we're talking everything is become white and it feels like my eyeholes are being fucked right now
>shot literally a half to two thirds of a second after the light is turned on
Yea, no. If you understand how to use a light in a momentary fashion that isn't a problem at all.

Why are your light switches not easily accessible between wherever your gun is and the hall? Clearly installing light switches in convenient locations is part of your responsibilities for home defense.

>Self defense loads aren't a thing where I'm from because of gun laws and such.
Where the fuck do you live?

Australia. Firearms aren't a valid reason to get a licence, so advertising a cartridge as a "self defense" round is out.

What optics do you recommend?

1. Because I have other home priorities than rewiring my home. Fucking HVAC is 15 years old at this point.
2. I also know my home layout in the dark better than most, so I'll be damned if I'm giving that up.

The light on the end of an AR is the easiest solution. Seriously man, do you believe the guy is going to quick draw McGraw you after you point the rifle at him and hit the light to ID?

>its another “Jow Forums spews fudd logic in a self defense thread” episode
Shotguns are obsolete and no, that NFA item or scary black rifle won’t land in prison should you use it for lawful self defense

Attached: F368F2C6-9EBA-47FA-B7AC-E022974BA2FB.jpg (244x206, 26K)