A local shop has Israeli surplus Browning Hi Powers for $600 and I'm considering buying one to be a pistol I can use...

A local shop has Israeli surplus Browning Hi Powers for $600 and I'm considering buying one to be a pistol I can use when on the trail because and not worry about abusing it. It's a reliable and proven design and they're cool from a historical perspective. Is it going to be enough for a hiking gun or should I get a revolver instead and skip the Hi Power? I can't afford both.

Attached: IMG_6144.jpg (1024x768, 461K)

Depends on where you're hiking. If the biggest "threat" is black bears then you're fine.

its your money but 600 is too much for any surplus handgun imo

Don't spend 600 dollars on a Hi Power, especially a beat to shit one. Get literally any modern pistol, brand new, for a lower price.
Yea, black bear...

Attached: PhilShoemaker.jpg (707x1879, 663K)

What animals are you trying to defend yourself from? I think a revolver would make a better choice for larger predators. Sp101 with a 4 inch barrel, fiber optic front, comfy hogues, and a hot buffalo bore load would be the ticket IMO

The biggest we have are black bears but they are rare. I just want something to have while hiking and I think Hi Power's are cool. I can probably talk them down on price maybe to $500.

Still way too much. The Hi Power is not a great handgun. It's not rated for +P, likely due to the 2 piece barrel design and the relatively light slide, the trigger is shit and there's not a thing you can do about it, the 3rd generation safeties give no consistent feedback. I'd pay 350 for a decent mechanical condition surplus Hi Power and that's kind of pushing it. If you're going to spend 600 dollars on one of these stupid things, at least go ahead and find a nice condition commercial one unless the idiots have driven the prices up already.

I have one. Don`t do it OP.

>600 for a surplus HP
wew. hard pass

>2 piece barrel design
What nigger
>shit trigger
No, not after removing magazine safety
>spend 350
Get a time machine and go back 5 years when the Israelis were 360 dollar guns, other than that, no.

If it was an FN, yeah, sure, $600 would be ok. A surplus Israeli Hi Power isn’t worth that.

I recently bought an FÉG, great gun.

Attached: 3C1D19B2-7DF2-4133-98EF-9A6C353BDB91.jpg (2048x1536, 1.09M)

>a pistol I can use when on the trail because and not worry about abusing it
just buy a glock if you are willing to spend 600 and want to abuse the gun.

600 is way too much for beat to shit surplus. if you really want a hipower get it but dont pretend you are making a smart decision.

>What nigger
Wow look at you, talking about shit you don't know about.
>No, not after removing magazine safety
Yes. I'm tired of you dipshits acting like that really does anything. Wow the takeup isn't slightly gritty anymore...whoa dude. All my problems are solved! Except they aren't because the break is still a good 7-8lbs and as crisp as a thing that isn't crisp. Never mind the reset that doesn't exist.
>Get a time machine and go back 5 years when the Israelis were 360 dollar guns, other than that, no.
What is your point here? I didn't say you could buy them for that, I said I wouldn't pay more than that. The implication here is not to buy one.

Attached: image002.jpg (503x389, 27K)

Wow they did a decent blue job on that.

Get a Makarov instead.

I will admit that I did not realize that the surplus hi powers have two piece barrels
>break is still a good 7-8lb
That is weird, the israeli I have in my lap right now keeps pulling at around 4 lbs and it feels fairly crisp in comparison to most of my other handguns
>I wouldn't pay market value
Congrats, I bet you say mosins aren't worth more than 75 dollars either because once upon a time they flooded the market and sold for that.

> I did not realize that the surplus hi powers have two piece barrels
No, not surplus. All of them since the late MkI pistols, which are the vast majority in America.
> the israeli I have in my lap right now keeps pulling at around 4 lbs and it feels fairly crisp in comparison to most of my other handguns
It's either bubba modified or I don't believe you even a little bit.
>Congrats, I bet you say mosins aren't worth more than 75 dollars either because once upon a time they flooded the market and sold for that.
I'm not basing it on their market value. I'm saying I don't think they're worth that relative to other guns which could be had for the same price or much less. If someone wanted me to buy a surplus Hi Power from them, that's what I would pay for it.

>two piece barrels
So do the FN. It's a good thing.
That's not one piece butted against another. That is a shrink-fit sleeve on top of the chamber -- see pic.
This construction just about doubles the "hoop strength" of the chamber. If you don't know what hoop strength is, google it.

Attached: HP-two-piece-barrel.jpg (750x342, 32K)

1911 barrels have been made in two pieces for years, for the same reasons.

Attached: 1911-two-piece-barrel.jpg (518x389, 14K)

>So do the FN
Yea, I know. Mine are FN manufactured pistols.
>It's a good thing.
Eh...Maybe for FN.
>This construction just about doubles the "hoop strength" of the chamber. If you don't know what hoop strength is, google it.
I don't see why you would think this. Regardless, the Hi Power chamber isn't particularly beefy or well supported.

wtf am I supposed to be looking at in the zoomed in part of that pic? the bullet on the other side?

Yea

I refuse to give Israel any money

Get the Hi power. Since ive had mine ive felt quite a bit better knowing i have so much more ammo on tap.

>pic related my hi power.
I tend to carry my hi power with the little revolver more than i ever carry the k frame.

You should get a Hi-Power copy though, because you can get them for sub 400 and they are great quality.

Attached: image1(18).jpg (3264x2448, 1.37M)

Hoop Stress is the stress around the chamber caused by pressure in the chamber. Making the chamber wall thicker reduces hoop stress, but it's a diminishing return... Doubling the wall thickness does not double the strength. In fact, you very quickly get to where making the chamber wall thicker does nothing at all.
The solution is to use two thin chamber walls instead of one thicker wall. This avoids the "diminishing returns" effect.

>Hoop Stress is the stress around the chamber caused by pressure in the chamber.
Yes, I know.
>This avoids the "diminishing returns" effect.
I'm not understanding the interaction here. How are two thinner walls experiencing less hoop stress than a single wall of the same thickness?

Note that the stresses are maximum at the inner surface. As you move through a thick chamber wall, the stresses fall off quickly. In effect, the steel at the outside of a thick chamber does nothing, as it experiences no stress. An overpressure here would cause plastic deformation on the inside surface.

The solution being used here is to make the chamber walls thinner, then pre-stress another chamber wall on top of it by press-fitting it on top of the first. The created stress will be max at the inner surface of the outer wall, with an equal and opposite stress on the outer surface of the inner wall

Attached: slide_7.jpg (960x720, 78K)

>$600 Jesus Fucking Christ

I bought my Isreali Surplus for $250 not a year ago.

Yes it's a proven design, the thing was the most popular service pistol outside of the US for years and still is used today.

The surplus guns, ESPECIALLY FROM ISRAEL, need working on when you get them. They almost always have fucked up extractors and extractor springs, and they're usually pretty beat to shit from whoever handled them before. The one I bought needed a new extractor, new extractor spring, new trigger pin and the gun looks like shit. They're cool, I like them, but for $600 that's a really fucking hard pass. Once you work on them they are a dream to shoot and I love mine, but that was after two weeks of headache.

Attached: baitheway.jpg (480x479, 12K)

Hey you learned me something, thanks.

>keeps pulling at around 4lbs

No, no it's fucking not. Not unless you modified it by removing the magazine safety or did some other trigger work. I did do some work to take the grit out of my trigger and it is still very much a 7-8lb pull. And everyone who reviews them states the same problem of pretty crap triggers. I call bullshit.

I paid 250 for one literally less than a year ago.

>modified it by removing the magazine safety
That will do nothing for the break and the amount of friction between the magazine body and the safety is far lower than required to be above 7lbf at the trigger. Frankly he's full of shit.

Even when the mag safety is removed it isn't amazing

Yeah this, just get a Glock 41 and have a cool longslide .45. they have been selling them cheap because they move slow.

BLACK BEARS MATTER

Just get a GP100 at that point. Why sacrifice the extra round?

You should be paying around $400 for that beat up jew hi power fool, but if you want to throw away two hundred dollars go ahead and be an idiot. Otherwise find the same type of gun on gunbroker youre welcome.

gunbrokers not good either, 400 + ffl fee + shipping + credit card fee + gunbroker fee + hassle not much better than 600

Shit's heavy as fuck, specially fully loaded. I carried one SOB Mexican yesterday, just to see how it would do.
It slid off like a greasy burrito (my Hank Hill non-existent ass didn't help). Ended up tucking it against my right buttcheek and make do with some printing.

If you've got a special hard-on for the BHP consider an Argie FM detective for carry. Lighter, shorter barrel and they aren't beat to hell like the heeb brownings.

Those FNs with the Star of David stamp were $350-$399 @ Aim when they were imported, and $399 got you a sweetheart.
Talk him down.

>local shop

Bring green cash money, offer $500 or demand they throw in ammo and mags. Make a deal OP.

Attached: 1227371603466.jpg (750x600, 84K)

>israeli
>hi power
Shit taste lmfao

FEG had gorgeous blue-bluing on their early models, but quickly switched over to the nice reflective black-bluing like modern Hi Powers have. IMO spending $450 on one of the FEG models with the original browning-styled slide releases and nice bluing isn't a bad idea. There isnt a significant loss of quality between the hungarian clones and the belgian originals.

Pic related is my FEG with the ugly 1911 style slide stop they made for a while

Attached: BHP FEG JA2.jpg (2048x1228, 425K)

You're paying for the collector value, there's brand new guns that are cheaper that will be superior to that gun in every way

$600 for a Jew HP is way too much.
I paid $225 for my FN HP last year.

Good price for a hi power, way too much for a surplus Hi Power.

Shoot an email to Aim Surplus, ask them if they are planning on importing anymore surplus Hi powers. The last ones they had were dirt cheap

People have known how to improved HP triggers for over 70 years at this point man, it's not hard

Like a defence in depth or layered Kevlar vs thicker. Neat. I only ever see hoop strength mentioned in lever actions when people ask why manufacturers aren't making them in retarded cartridges, the answer usually being thin spot between barrel and mag tube.

Makes me wonder how much canting the angle of the mage tube would affect it. Marlin front ends are fat as fuck anyway

>the trigger is shit and there's not a thing you can do about it
>No, no it's fucking not. Not unless you modified it
Make up your mind faggot

I spent $300 on my FEG clone. like and I think mine's older though.

$600 seems like a lot for one that's probably been beat around.

Jeez, I paid $600 for mine, factory new, and I thought I was overpaying it a few years ago.