Flintlock Parts Set

I'm seriously considering getting a Brown Bess kit from IMA. Does anyone have any experience with these? I know it's going to be some work, but is it doable with home tools? My real concern is the state of the lock and flash hole. I'm not sure if I could repair the internals of the lock, or where to find replacements. It says they're all functional though, so I'm not sure how much of a concern that is. The idea of doing something like this sounds really neat, I just don't want to end up with something I can't at least eventually finish.
ima-usa.com/products/original-british-east-india-company-p-1771-brown-bess-flintlock-parts-set-nepalese-gurkha-marked-lock

Attached: nb1772s__1a.jpg (1200x1200, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ima-usa.com/products/original-british-east-india-company-p-1771-brown-bess-flintlock-parts-set-nepalese-gurkha-marked-lock
gunbroker.com/item/775210591
gunbroker.com/item/777067376
gunbroker.com/item/772036866
middlesexvillagetrading.com/M1BB.shtml
middlesexvillagetrading.com/warranty.shtml
militaryheritage.com/musket6.htm
youtube.com/user/duelist1954/playlists
youtube.com/watch?v=CTFkgQ5u1Ys
3rdregimentanv.com/unsafe_firearms.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

probably better to just get a brand new italian replica like pedersoli for like $600 or a high quality built gunsmith repro for like $2,000

you can find original brown besses in decent shootable condition for around $1,200-$2,000 as well

the problme with original locks is the metal, it probably wont take long for the springs to break im sure its gotten brittle with age

Fuck with a barrel that rusted looking I'd never trust it to be safe.
At best, if I'm right about the rust, you'd get a pretty wall hanger when youre done.
Get a modern kit if you want a shooter. If you want a piece of history you could probably do better.

Where the fuck can you find a new repro worth a damn for 600?

That metalwork looks pretty fucked. You'd need more than just "home tools" to get that looking ok. I'd probably sandblast that whole thing, polish it and reblue the metal. That lock probably needs a new leaf spring. I doubt the metalwork will just drop into that stock, it'll probably need inletting and/or glass bedding to deal with any gaps.

It's doable but there's definitely going to be some work involved. Not something you can just finish in an afternoon.

>Original brown bess for like under $2000 lol

Attached: 1528846255914.jpg (680x645, 76K)

>buying a brown bess
>not buying a committee of safety musket
Do you even Revolution bro?

For real tell us where

There’s a very knowledgeable group on FB called Nepal Cache Collectors. It’s a decent sized group of people who restore all the IMA guns. From what I’ve seen on there it’s not too hard, and they all turn out to be shooters

That barrel looks pretty fucked. The idea itself is neat but to actually see it executed well without breaking the piggybank isn't exactly so common.
>original brown besses in decent condition
>for $1200-2000
I'm having very heavy doubts about that.

>ima-usa.com/products/original-british-east-india-company-p-1771-brown-bess-flintlock-parts-set-nepalese-gurkha-marked-lock
The advert states it is not intended to be a "shooter".

Loyalist Arms has india made ones for about that price.

honestly my man both the barrel and metalwork looks fucked. Where you live?
Yeah, originals are super expensive. I'm a reenactor, so I've been able to take a look at some originals, and usually the ones that aren't just rusted bits end up in a museum or are upwards of $10000.

Those round faced English export locks are the sexiest locks ever made and spark like nothing else.

If you just want to build a flintlock kit and have no experience building them or at least with basic wood and metal working get a Kibler. The hard parts are already done and it’ll be much better as a shooter.
If you want it for the historical value I’d check at how much it would cost to get at least the lock professionally restored or at least looked at. Thing is if you try to do it yourself and fuck something up you may not be able to get it fixed.
Either way you should probably do some research on what’s involved first. Asking Jow Forums doesn’t count.

Aren't those the Indian made shit tier ones?

IMA would not be safe to shoot. Go to track of the wolf or Dixie gun works get a repro for less

The reason I was looking at this is because it isn't a reproduction, at least not completely. IMA has some they did themselves for about double the price.
From what I've seen from youtube and gun forums that show up on google, most of what looks like rust is just dirt and grime that's built up over the past 150 years since it was covered in 19th century "cosmoline." The stocks are the same color, and assuming they aren't rotted away, usually clean up pretty well. That's not to say there isn't rust and pitting under there, and that is a real concern.
From what I've seen, all kits will require fitting to the barrel and lock. The most challenging part with the stock looks like pinning the barrel in, but that's not terrible. I have seen at least one guy that had to replace several parts within the lock, and I'm not sure I could confidently do the same thing. Several others never had an issue, so I guess it's the luck of the draw.
Thanks, I'll check them out.
They all say that, probably for liability reasons. I haven't heard of anyone actually running into an issue shooting one.
Kansas
I was mainly asking here to see if anyone had experience with them. It might be a good idea to get the lock looked at.
I'm not completely dead set on doing this, it's just something I've been thinking about for a while.

a used pedersoli sells for that much all day, also a brand new indian made repro from loyalist or middlesex

gunbroker.com/item/775210591

gunbroker.com/item/777067376

gunbroker.com/item/772036866

Not at all. They use seamless DOM steel for the barrel and the rest is handmade by indian blacksmiths. Ive heard many people say they are the most historically accurate ones on the market, and they'll handle any reasonable load for their caliber.

Where did you hear this?

I was thinking about cleaning up their 1840 model f musket. I've heard good things about those, not sure about the others. They also have martini henrys.

IDK about 700 for that but I've thought about picking up one of the Traditions kentucky rifle kits. I think it'd be neat to mess with.

It's amazing that eBay has been around since 1995 and there are still people who don't understand how auction sites work.

Protip: The starting bid on an auction isn't the same as what it will end up selling for.

Sure you can fuck around with it, but know that I guarantee you are not knowledgeable or qualified to try and restore a single screw in that kit and will horrendously fuck/ruin it. You will likely blow it up even trying to shoot it if you don't snap the lock first.

If you want a brown bess, look for a new or used repro. Pedersoli is the gold standard.
If you want to build one, get a traditions kit for $200 and it won't blow up in your face.

tl;dr merry christmas you retarded faggot

just search for sold, the ones i posted for you have been relisted because the retards are asking too much. it still amazes me that ebay has been around since 1995 and there are still people who dont understand that actual market prices dont reflect what idiot boomers ask for on auction sites. message them with an offer of $1500 and start your negotiations

indian repro but shootable, plenty of vids on youtube of torture tests and reviews. that particular retailer even "proof" fires them for you before shipping and will replace it if there are any issues

middlesexvillagetrading.com/M1BB.shtml

otherwise get a pedersoli or other older used italian repro

Bullshit.

middlesex even hardens and verifies the frizzen is sparking before shipping

Attached: M1BB_lock.jpg (1540x598, 71K)

-millennial who doesnt know the art of the deal

anyway i think OP and likely most of you stupid faggots are too dumb and autistic to engage in social contact and negotiations so just buy from a retailer like middlesex or loyalist. plus i dont trust you fuckers with a real piece of history so its better if you fuck up some indian paki shit with your retarded youtube videos of putting rocks down the barrel

Attached: M1BB_full.jpg (1579x355, 35K)

middlesexvillagetrading.com/warranty.shtml

All MVTCo brand guns are covered under our limited lifetime warranty.

This warranty covers the lock against wear, workmanship errors and parts breakage. Since all moving parts are contained in the lock mechanism, the warranty covers the lock only. We cannot and do not warranty the wooden or rammers stocks of guns as they are organic in nature and subject to forces beyond our control. The warranty does cover frizzen wear. The warranty does not cover lost parts.

Locks are 100% covered for the first 12 months from the original purchase. For locks over 12 months old, there is a $10 fee.
For more info, click here
This warranty is transferable and is not limited to the original owner of the gun.

loyalist arms doesnt state anything about warranty that i can see on their site, but people online have given them good marks. the guns all come from the same manufacturer in india so it really doesnt matter who you buy it from, the prices are even the same.

you could save yourself $100 and buy from these guys but you will have to drill your own touch hole. not difficult to do but an extra step

militaryheritage.com/musket6.htm

Hey, rocks are a valid source of ammo. Have you seen how much .69 caliber balls cost?

Here's a guy that does flintlock builds.

youtube.com/user/duelist1954/playlists

It looks extremely tedious.

>the guns all come from the same manufacturer in india
I'm worried

>Buying indian

DO NOT BUY INDIAN MADE REPOS!

The steel is poor quality and they have no means of proofing. There are too many instances of barrels exploding. Buy an Italian made one, those are top quality and dependable. But 100% best bet is John Zimmerman out of Harpers Ferry WV. He is God-tier gunsmith.

Because the Indian imports explode

Check FB reenactor Trade Blanket groups. Great place to pick up decent used repos. I got a ‘42 Springfield ArmiSport with a full Zimmerman defarb job for $650, used but not abused

>tfw can get 3.5 .440 round balls out of one .69 ball

>Indian blacksmiths

Shooting less than .69 makes you gay

Riflemen are the dismounted cav of RevWar tacticals

There are several original Brown Bess muskets on Canadian Gun Nutz forum equipment exchange right now for around $1000cad. You can ship those to the US without any legal hassle.

Cast your own rounds. It’s what they had to do back then in the field, lazy fucking millennial

Where are the barrel bands? What is holding it to the stock?

Separate purchase?

They were pinned to the stock.

youtube.com/watch?v=CTFkgQ5u1Ys
This dude says they're safe

None of those Indian manufacturers make Mississippi rifles that I have seen. I imagine they're probably too retarded to do rifling it seems like all they do is muskets

>Guy on YouTube says they’re safe

Truth is they aren’t
3rdregimentanv.com/unsafe_firearms.html

The Mississippi requires a good deal of rifling too. A beautiful piece.

Attached: 3301FC4C-A55D-4B8A-B183-4B48984F7618.png (693x693, 637K)

Who do you think makes the best Mississippi?

The United States Arsenal at Harpers Ferry

Or Perdersoli (nowadays)

idk a lot of these boomers dont seem to budge with their prices. They'll keep the auctions up for for sometimes years till one idiot, or rich fool really wants it and bids . Probably to regret later

The rifle Shoppe has some for sale as well but I have heard nothing about the quality of them. Any ideas on them?

Someone told me to track down a Euro arms version but I see they have gone out of business I'm not sure if pedersoli would be better or not

>not trusting the autistic reenactor
The dude could be one of us, easily

Those fools rarely know shit my sweet summer child.

Do they make their own?

no, they just harden the frizzens, test for function and offer warranty

Are those just basically iron? I can't imagine steel was extremely common at the time.

Euroarms did go out of business and they machined their parts to their own specs (not to period correct ones). As a result, spare parts aren’t interchangeable and impossible to come by. I think Lodgewood can replicate Euroarms rifle parts, but they’re mostly setup for Civil War percussion arms.

That's the joke

So is euroarms or pedersoli better on the whole?