7.62x51 vs 5.56x45

Remind me again why the US switched to 5.56?

Attached: 7.62RFN vs 5.56.jpg (2138x2988, 831K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_151_cannon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fire superiority.

5.56 works for what it's meant to do.
More ammo > STOPPING POWAH

Same reason the USSR/Russia switched from 7.62x93 to 5.45, better to use the smaller rounds in your assault rifle while battle rifles get the big boy rounds.

because they learned that you win more firefights the more ammo you shove downrange, it has little to do with how powerful the cartridge actually is

>7.62x93
I know it was typo but I wonder what it would actually look like and how it would work.

Because 5.56 has enough stopping power, it's lighter, less bulky so you can carry more, less recoil.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_151_cannon

Or a necked down 50BMG. They aren't exact but close. I think necked 50 case would be pretty bad ass.

5.56 is the result of studying what actually won battles in WW2 and Korea.

You would get more serious replies if you were not openly dishonest with your image.

easier to train with
good wounding
good travel too

because arty kills more PPL than infantry, ifantry is just a place holder on the BF

Because saturation is the name of the game and small arms account for like 2% of all KIA anyway.

Here's a 7.62x99

Attached: MCRel1.jpg (570x346, 132K)

Does faggot OP know he posted an image of 5.7?

Rifle stopping power doesn't really matter when you spray in the air until an airstrike arrives.

>Remind me again why the US switched to 5.56?
Because intermediates are a lot more beneficial for a common "fighting" round?
Hold more rounds per man, shoot more per man, a lot higher mag capacities, the guns are lighter, more controllable when firing, less likely to miss due to instinctive flinching
I'm sure he does. Probably just at the range and saw a fun opportunity to make people scratch heads for a second.

it's the only round that soiboys could handle.

total war considerations
>you can make more 5.56
>you can shoot more 5.56
>you can carry more 5.56

OP here, I'm really glad someone finally seems to have gotten the joke.

I wasn't sure what it was, but I knew it wasn't 556.

>Remind me again why the US switched to 5.56?

little Asian men in the arvn

Because Americans after 1960 couldn't shoot worth a damn.

because of poor wound models about fragmentation that were lost when the twist rate was changed and barrels were shortened.

6-6.5mm calibers are undeniably more accurate than either, but "shot placement is king" doesn't matter to 5.56 fanatics.

when men became girls.

1. volume of fire
2. rounds that can be carried in (volume of fire)
3. cost per round (volume of fire)

Tbh it’s really this fact
>when the US govt did a study on troops when given automatic weapons instead of semi automatic or bolt action, they found that soldiers tend to shoot in the general area of a combatant rather than directly at them for a suppressing fire effect.
So basically they so they can carry and shoot more ammo