What's Jow Forums's opinion on Green Army Men? Did any of you have some as a kid?

What's Jow Forums's opinion on Green Army Men? Did any of you have some as a kid?

Also, assess their choices of equipment

Attached: 61cWw6mz4tL._SL1150_.jpg (1150x1150, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m2museum.com/
store.steampowered.com/app/694500/Army_Men_RTS/
m2museum.com/StarshipTroopers/StarshipTroopers.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'd like to know the history behind these things, it's interesting they're always in the same poses despite being produced by tons of companies but yeah they're certified Jow Forums

My favorite was always the officer with the pistol or the flamethrower man.

overhead bayonet thrust is operator af

>mfw I thought minesweepers were just mopping the floor
Also Tan heil !

I remember having a whole battalion of Bren men, my second favorite was the guy with the mortar.

The best army men are the ones with WWII/Korean-era weaponry.
When I was 5 years old, my grandmother gave me a Daisy 1894 "Spittin' Image" BB gun and my dad gave me a set of big-ass Tootsie toy green plastic army men to use as targets. They were all WWII outfitted with m1 helmets, m1 rifles, an m2 flamethrower, etc., and I think there were about six of them.
Long story short, they got ruined by being blasted with 4mm BBs nearly every day for a couple of years. I've been hunting down a big set ever since.

I also loved the Bren guys, I remember when my dad got me a book about guns of WW2, and I showed him it. I didn't even think there were any guns with a magazine that weirdly place.

*Placed, sorry.

The prone rifleman and the lmg guy

The crouching rifleman would never stand up unless i would lean him against a tank.

Honorable mention is the bazooka guy and mortar dude

Had hundreds, dozens of vehicles and terrain features. Literally spent days playing with them.

Poor shot man with m16.

You can see the pain and dedication in his pose before he was unwillingly tagged out.

If you go to military or war museums they typically have buckets that have them as well as German, British, and Japanese troops for $20-$30

The guy answering his phone, and the guy vacuuming his house were pretty cool.

Those were Air Force guys.

Me and my dad used to play a game called "Army Men" where we would each get a color and a specific number of soldiers, and a few plastic sandbag type things, some bushes and barbed wire, but no vehicles. Then we would take turns, using a segment of hotwheel track and a large marble to knock down each other's men, until one of us had no soldiers left. It was a great game and my dad spent hours playing it with me. Army men are something I believe all kids ever relate too. It's fun being "in command" of the little men. Making them fight and talk to each other. Building forts and leading elite commandos on top-secret missions

Running them over with RC cars and acting like they blew them up with bazookas by making them flip was the shit

>Those were Air Force guys.
So they were the most effective?

This. I feel like there was a mold made like 50 years ago that was copied by competitors somehow over the years. That's why all the poses are the same but the quality is different based in manufacturer

I remember in High School, I took a WW1 class and my partner and I made a map of the Battle of the Marne using the army men, poster board, and markers

I went to a civil war re-enactment with my family when I was probably 7-8. One of the guys there had this absolutely massive bucket of miniature civil war army men, both blue and grey. They were tiny, maybe a little over a centimeter y’all each. My dad bought me and my brother the whole bucket and we went home and made Lincoln log forts for them and battles that covered the whole dining room table. Fuck those were good days.

Same here, except we used dart guns and built fortifications out of Lincoln Logs.

Centimeter *tall*, not y’all

Woah. Lincolnlogmindhive.

you guys ever own the really small ones, I think they were russian and american, russia was a browny orange colour whilst america was green, always used the Russian guys throwing a grenade from prone as dead guys if you flipped em upside down and flattened them, good shit, still got hundreds of them in my attic.

My favorite was the vietnam veteran wounded in a stretcher. Really made me realize as a child that these were people.

Same, the childhood memories.

Attached: af4c927853e35ad8a0b066546d7dda5a--army-men-toy-soldiers.jpg (736x1104, 73K)

Attached: marx09.jpg (1440x960, 825K)

>they didn't have browning man

Attached: 7803_8.jpg (732x549, 175K)

Man throwing grenade best boy

Death to tan scum

Army men are are pro-war and are insidiously innocent and should be banned. Change my view.

I have a couple. I don't remember where I got them from; probably some arcade.

Thought it was weird, because he didn't look like my others

I like how some sets use a modern day German flag as the "enemy" flag. I notice more though are using fictional ones. My favorite was one that had a crecent on it

>I like how some sets use a modern day German flag as the "enemy" flag.

I wonder why?

F

For the longest time ive had this itch to just get a box of these and play with them once again like i used to but im way too ashamed of it to be seen at check out with them or let alone by my parents

>So they were the most effective?
At running country clubs? Yes.

>Change my view

Attached: 1529221023725.jpg (800x820, 149K)

t. operator who never had to call in for support

Yeah me too...my mom used to laugh because everytime she went to water her house plants there was a green army man hiding in it

Did yours come with little model cannons and wagons too? I did the exact same thing with my dad lmao

Unfortunately no, it was just the soldiers. But I’m not shitting you when I say there was at least 1,200 of them. I don’t know where this guy got them but I’d love to find some these days just to have.

Me and a good friend made up a game with these things back when we were 16-18. We would go out in the woods and pick a "battlefield" and then stage our armies. We would have a small stats sheet for each soldier with an equipment loadout and had engagement range and movement ranges figured based on loadout. We had a yardstick to measure out range and movement and would roll dice and play like a turn based game.

I guess this is essentially what WARHAMMER is, but we were poorfags and didn't have any of that shit.

i had tons, and army men series of games were my favorite back in the day. too bad its one of those super unplayable games now.
mean greens is cool though.

Attached: sargesH.jpg (500x375, 45K)

I had about a freezer bag full as a kid. I didn't play with them much at home, but our family camp was (and still is) off the grid. So, before I could really appreciate the woods, that's one of the things I did.

The only thing I really remember about them was that, once one of them was sniping from the wood stove in summer. I completely forgot about him and he sat there for a few months. He was eventually found as a melted puddle during deer season. He didn't get deployed after that, but he did get to live in the bag with the rest of the company.

fucking nerds

I liked the kneeling guy with the Bren gun.

germs are the natural enemy of mankind

also the first army men were metal or wooden, based on WW1 American soldiers.

Attached: eternalkraut.png (1232x2974, 203K)

100% Jow Forums approved
Anyone remember Hip firing MG-42 man or bad shot mosin man also M-16 man
I've got a hundred of those up in my attic
F

Got those hotwheel roads, flipped some empty storage bins for city buildings and bam, I had a city battlefield

>they cut the guns off all the ones they had at daycare

Attached: YES.jpg (780x840, 205K)

My grandma chewed on the barrels of these ones when she was cleaning

Attached: 1528248331865.jpg (720x666, 91K)

vaguely remember my dad throwing all mine out because he didn't want me joining the army or something

jokes on him because i was born with shitty joints and can't join anyway

ur gay or trolling so still gay

Attached: T H I N K.jpg (582x528, 53K)

Trump is peak Reddit, though

This

Hell yeah I had some as a kid. Used to get them piecemeal as prizes at mini golf/arcade places. Then I got big set of them with tanks and sandbags and whatnot. Used to divide them in half and set up what were basically trench lines.

Used to have one with what was supposed to be a No.4 T. He was the best.

Attached: army men.jpg (600x1846, 315K)

Faggot

Attached: Screenshot_20180517-193128.jpg (949x1103, 398K)

>he didn't have the revolutionary war tin army men

Binocular waving guy took "kill them with kindness" too far

I did the same thing. I had fireteams of bren men, bazooka guy, and prone m16 men set up in sandbag fortificatons while laying a base of fire for the assault teams of standing m16 guy, grenade chucked and the radio man. Then I had a radio guy with the mortars and the pistol guy who was clearly the officer in charge. They would go up against the tan menace who had air support from an offshore carrier.
God I was fucking autistic as a kid. Shit was fun though.

Anyone here ever have the old military Micromachines? Cause that was my shit.

m2museum.com/

Forgot pic

Attached: micromachines1.jpg (343x161, 12K)

Hell yes. I had dozens of those. No idea what happened to them when I got older and moved out. I really miss those.

I remember having a few tanks and jet fighters. The mig21 was my fav.

The infantry were way better than regular Army Men figs.

I have all mine in a big shoebox. I haven't touched them in a decade but I'll never get rid of them.

The Tomcat has folding wings. That was a badass feature for a tiny plastic toy.

Attached: micro_machine_adventures.jpg (1024x768, 157K)

60mm mortar man; I had a bunch, made dioramas N'sheet

>used the bayonet guy to stab the machine gunner
>used the guy with extended arm to congratulate other soldiers
>chewing their weapons

Brings me back.

They had the Indiana Jones flying wing!

Attached: dcp_5095.jpg (260x160, 9K)

yup, loved the ones that were targeted as the evil faction. The ones with the urban/night camo and skulls as a logo

My man, greade throwing guy could PUNCH MOTHERFUCKERS with his fists. Which other army man could do that? NONE!

Bet you're fucking ass i did, one summer when I was really young we went to a funeral of some relative I had never met and i got a whole bag of them at some thrift store in the middle of nowhere
my brother still has that exact sherman tank model sitting on his shelf

Attached: micro-machines-tank-toys-J4JN48.jpg (1300x1029, 95K)

I went a step further and had army men accessories as a kid

Attached: images.jpg (325x155, 10K)

>M16 being used alongside Bren's, FN1900s, and Bazookas

Attached: 62fd5724c3035409153474cf53bb7609.jpg (500x475, 33K)

I also had a collection of Airfix (Brit) soldiers. Krauts and Tommys from N. Africa, lots of wounded writhing in pain and a few dead ones, very realistic

>no radio man with antenna coming out of his pack

Wtf where’s my favorite army man?

[banter stops]

Attached: 71jVe6n0UmL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x955, 127K)

My parents somehow found a slavshit green army men set, it had 2 MiG-29's a T-62 and some helicopter, can't remember the rest.

SHTEEL REIGN

Brave sniper.
F

>they got ruined by being blasted with 4mm BBs nearly every day for a couple of years
Yup, I would set up elaborate battlefields and blast them away with my BB gun and firecrackers. Would also occasionally just set them on fire. Probably the cheapest way for a kid to have endless hours of fun.

Also, two small scars on the back of my left hand from getting that hot melting plastic on me lol.

Tanlarper get out.

>super unplayable
You mean in a "This game is old and looks like shit" kinda way, or a "This game is old and won't work on modern hardware" way?

If it's the first, the original, top-down games still look and handle OK. If it's second, virtual machines or emulators are your friend.

>green is better than tan

A have a 5-gallon bucket full of them in storage somewhere. Also have 3-5 of the playsets. I always really liked the one with the dam. It was springloaded and by pressing a button, the face of the dam would fly off, as if you breached the dam.

store.steampowered.com/app/694500/Army_Men_RTS/

best toy

Holy fuck they made starship troopers micromachines?

m2museum.com/StarshipTroopers/StarshipTroopers.htm

Attached: dcp_0791.jpg (307x241, 14K)

It's a damn shame they went out of business.

I remember getting some cowboy ones for a school project
> get assigned history project for school
> mom helps me choose the civil war and the battle of the crater
> make top tier diorama using cowboy army men
> paint them gray and blue to differentiate.
> teacher is triggered by the use of blood in the craft soil. The thrill of battle and the horrors of war flow through me as I present to my 4th grade class
> get a C

Attached: IMG_0014.jpg (498x510, 87K)

>diorama
lmao, I made one of these for D-Day and then played the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan to go with my report. Teacher turned it off pretty early but pretty sure I got a decent grade.

some of the best shit from my childhood.
>massive quantity of army men with tanks, aircraft, jeeps, sandbags, and other plastic extras as well as some wooden blocks and lincoln logs
>have big wars out in the backyard
>throw in some fucking dinosaurs
>days, upon weeks of fun
>10 years later, digging up the dirt and lawn
>find army men and dinosaurs buried underneath the soil, fallen soldiers being exhumed from their graves, their war fought long ago, but their glory still remembered
good times.

F

oh shit! I had a die cast one of those growing up. I bought it at Disney because I was obsessed with Indy growing up!

More /tg/, but I kinda want to make a wargame with plastic army men.

I had lots of green army men all in the poses in OP's pic I also had some brown army men that were also in the same poses. In addition to that I also had some grey army men but those were in different poses than OP's pic. I also had "army men" that were medieval knights instead of modern soldiers. Shit was tight as fuck I would spend hours setting up the brown men, grey men, and knights vs all the green men, then knocking them over one by one while I played their battles out in my head

>tfw stores don't sell these childhood gems anymore

Attached: cursethisworld.png (754x554, 290K)

That battle was fucking brutal. If Meade hadn't let his popularity go to his head, it definitely would've gone differently. There's a book on it somewhere that describes it all really well. My dad would listen to it while driving and I was usually with him. We loved that book.

oh yeah and I had a few yellow, blue, red, and white Cowboys and Indians as well

Damn, my brother, Dad and I used to do something very similar. We'd do it around the whole bedroom or living room though, put guys on the floor, coffee table, windowsill, entertainment center... but we'd use either dart/nerf guns, or throw a little bouncy ball at em. Shit, I remember all the little rules we'd make too. Like if we were using nerf guns you had to get to the same level as which was guy was shooting, if it was mortar men we'd have to lob a tennis ball in an actual arc... good fuckin times.

Pretty sure that's why WH40K interests me so much (poorfag, cant afford to get into it right now).

Do it anyway bruh. Im actually looking at em on Amazon right now, just trying to find a set with good casts or as close as to what I remember them looking like as a kid. Granted I got a little one to play with, but I'll be playing with them myself too lol