Vietnam War

Ken burns vietnam is on netflix.
i had no idea just how much of a clusterfuck the south was. no wonder they fucking lost

Attached: vietnam.jpg (1920x1080, 887K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=eQdFGr7NQ4o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

US should have just annexed the South.

Even captured viet cong made better soldiers than the ARVN.

Attached: 26763264344_d4966cd038_b.jpg (1024x693, 283K)

the US created the south vietnamese army. denied vietnamese elections in '56. then funded a junta government under diem that lashed out at everything in order to cause havok before his day in the sun was over.
realistically at least 80% of south vietnamese were for the minh.

Shouldve backed the North desu. They were open to it too, as many of their leaders were American-University educated. We went full rart and panicked "cuz muh gommunism muh domino theory".

More like should have backed them when it was a united Vietnam against the French and still liking American ideals. $5 says a few strong diplomatic words to the French would have gotten a calm withdrawal and a democratic Vietnam.

Documentaries are nothing but historical gatekeeping by the director, and this one is the same. If you actually want to learn about the war read a book, and dont expect a person like Ken Burns to give you an unbiased opinion. No one thinks its weird that in a documentary that critiques the south mostly has a majority of northern interviews?

Attached: anloc_pic1s.jpg (216x276, 14K)

>Documentaries are nothing but historical gatekeeping by the director

>Suggests books, another secondary source, where historical gatekeeping is performed by the author.

Fuck off.

>suggests a book that's from a diffrent perspective from the documentary
>THATS GATEKEEPING FUCK YOU
Jesus christ do you want me to make you a reading list for you? Or do you just want books that back your opinion?

Attached: 1529766087521.jpg (733x679, 225K)

>He says after suggesting a book that supports his opinion.

Stop posting.

No. The US needed France to support the rearming of West Germany. Indochina was part of the incentive to let that happen.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that everything I've ever read has generally led me to the conclusion that all of the United States problems in the latter half of the 20th century center around trying to keep the French out of trouble and in NATO.

yeah basically

we should have just fucking invaded France to keep them in line, like the Soviets did to Hungary and Czechoslovakia

fought against communism, but did not create a viable alternative. from what i gather, thats why they lost.

Attached: 1529891031973.jpg (640x960, 75K)

These gentlemen are correct.

>GET THE FUCK OFF MY BOARDDDDD. GOD FUCKING DAMN!

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 5K)

>fought against communism, but did not create a viable alternative. from what i gather, that's why they lost.
not only communism, but anti-colonialism and essentially a Junta(in the form of the Southern government) as well
add on top of that the fact that the ARVN(with some honorable exceptions) was pretty much garbage
and now we have created a situation that basically means inevitable collapse the moment the US says 'Tetta, and farewell'

Why is there no documentary for what the Laotians contributed?

The moment when the acene where four students got gunned down by the military I literally yell out loud "FUCK YEAH KILL THEM ALL KILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS!" then realize the fucking principle came out and begged the kids to stop protesting and they did so no more gunning down the communist sympathizing american hating flag burning bastards and i literally got upset about it.

I wish i was back in time so i can gun down the protesters.

You have to remember, we almost won despite doing every conceivable retarded mistake. Victory there would have scared me more than defeat.

Who is this titty monster?

No..no we didnt.

We would have had to be clpse to accomplishing our objectives...aka a south vietnam able to hold off commie expansionand have a stable government...none of which happened. The closest we got was post tet 68, which was still not even close

Apparently defected NVA were some of the most competent Vietnamese serving with the US Army.

I wish U.S. soldiers and police killed more protesters and college kids. They didn't kill enough of them in that time but what confuses me is why the fuck only four died but not more? Weren't the soldiers aiming? And why didn't we just gun them down afterwards?

Bump

Bump

Bump

Watching the series right now. US really supported the wrong side. Probably could have just convinced France Nam was a lost cause and paid them off with some military aid, then gained the support of Ho chi Minh, who even tried to contact the US for support and thus possibly convincing him to not turn to the Communists.

This. This is the absolute tragedy of the situation. A complete waste of lives thanks in part to the fucking French

that documentary made me buy an original m16a1

Attached: 96e0e1a5-4a48-41be-9585-2fe6b3a4184a.jpg (1200x1600, 244K)

I think you mean clone of an original M16A1. If not, I want to see that auto sear.

>TIGHT PANTS
>TIGHT GROUPINGS
Show us the other side of that gun:
I want to see that forward assist

The US radically restructured the ARVN from their light infantry French structure into a US-type army with heavy divisions and mechanization—exactly the opposite of what's needed for a guerrilla war. The South Vietnamese had no say, it was the US bankrolling them.

Then, when the war turns conventional, the US decides to sign a shitty treaty which doesn't provide the South with enough ammo, spare parts, or fuel to fight the PAVN, who have a literally unlimited supply from China and the Soviets.

Then the US, who promised to intervene with bombing, doesn't, collapsing morale.

11 ARVN Ranger Battalions were awarded Presidential Unit Citations, General Stilwell, commander of U.S. XXIV Corps, felt that [the] "ARVN 1st Division became equal to any American unit," and many ARVN commanders were as good as their American counterparts: Do Cao Tri was given the nickname "Patton of Parrot's Beak" for his aggressive style.

Ask US officers and soldiers who actually served with ARVN units, not your grandpa's second-hand stories of "dropped rifles, only shot once." If they were really so good at running away, 500k+ of them wouldn't have died fighting commies.

cute, not bad

Bump

North Vietnamese weren't even communists, they just larped as communists because the soviets were giving money to anyone who used communist symbols, after the north took complete control of vietnam their government was just a National Capitalist type government with communist symbols for dat foreign aid from the USSR

Well, South Vietnam had like 15 years to get their shit together, and instead got rolled over by North Vietnam so I think the historical record speaks to the ineffectiveness of the South Vietnamese government.

Sometimes you need the right strongman like Syngman Rhee, but South Vietnam never had one of those.

this also goes for North Korea considering they're more of an Asian Dynasty from the past with a modern touch to it.

That's completely wrong. The North Vietnamese embraced communist policies and murdered a shit ton of their own people through forced collectivization, land seizures, and political terror.

They didn't start the transition to a mixed economy until a famine hit because of their imposition of communist land policy on the South, formerly the bread basket of Vietnam.

>Be me
>work in Assisted Living
>Vet moves in, former Army
>Dudes got Lou Gehrig’s from Agent Orange bullshit
>Still funny as fuck, shows nurse pocket pussy and winks shit like that
>Give me his hand written memoirs.
>20 pages of white hot rage.
>Shooting gooks and literally cumming from the adrenaline - no fucking joke.
>His first combat expoerwnce was landing in the middle of an Nork attempt to atttack the airfield.
>He freaks - shoots two 90 day wonders in the leg and tries to hijack the plane.
>Planes low on fuel, can’t do shit.
>Pilots literally laugh at him.
>Doesn’t get arrested.
>Indstead gets thrown in with Rangers who nickname him “Hijack”
>Serves out entire year smoking the gange and shooting anything/everything and combat jacking across Nam.
Great guy all in all. I was honored to have met him. He moved back home to a VA Community in his hometown (D.C.)

no i mean an actual 1970 m16a1 that killed some communists

Attached: 1529750211224s.jpg (125x93, 2K)

sent a thumbnail for some reason

Attached: 1529750211224.jpg (4032x3024, 1.89M)

Nice, how much was it?

less than 2k, i'm in Switzerland tho

Attached: IMG_5302.jpg (1536x2048, 1.47M)

Not bad, pre-1986 transferrable ones here go for around 20k

top kek i wonder would it would take to sell this one in the US

The Battlefield Viet Nam documentary is one of the better ones I've seen, no relation to the vidya game. It's up on YouTube.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=eQdFGr7NQ4o

A whole lot of dead puppies

link to more?

they didn't aim just to trigger you decades later

>opposing legitimate anti-imperial independence movement
>install puppet government
>fuck with elections
>claim to be the vanguards of freedom and self determination
>can't understand why they look like the bad guys

The USA did it in Korea too. They need to get better at seeing things from other points of view.

desu ken burns was too generous, he skipped over a lot of shit that would have made things look even more disastrous, like the annihilation of MACV operations in the HCM trail, the comical joke that was lam son 719, the openly seditious literature distributed by US soldiers on base, and the degree to which the US/SV intelligence operations were thoroughly infiltrated by the north.

Syngman Rhee was trash. Korea didn't have it's shit together until the threw away the American "Agrarian strategy" that Rhee had bee complying with. Since Japan had exploited Korea for rice (due to some complex landowning issues in Kanto and a desire to move towards more industry), the Americans took the advice of former colonial authorities and collaborators and went with that strategy. It was terrible, Korea sucks for agriculture. They're a fucking mountain country. Of course for Japan it wasn't an issue, since they were essentially bleeding the country dry to keep the home front fed.

As for stability, the amount of massacres, purges, and disappearances during the Rhee era made the North at the time look like a happy alternative. It wasn't clean or smart.

Park Chung-Hee was the one who saved SK, mostly by investing in contract work in Vietnam during the war. Until him, North Korea actually had a better economy. He pushed industrialization and rejuvenation of the countryside. He also got the former Yangban/Collaborator classes (with money and land) involved in building industrial companies, instead of just treating them like equally corrupt buddies like Rhee did.

>i had no idea just how much of a clusterfuck the south was. no wonder they fucking lost

>Create puppet state and then hand-pick leaders that suit US policy, occasionally killing them off

>Blame the south of being "shitty"

It's like you didn't even have the IQ to understand what the documentary clearly illustrated across several episodes.

Are some Americans simply TOO STUPID to ever emerge from the servile under-class?

Attached: 1373970736001.jpg (558x344, 68K)

>Americans simply TOO STUPID to ever emerge from the servile under-class?
That's kinda their national thing. You know, trickle-down, pull up bootstraps, listen to the rich, elect billionaire tv stars.
Don't shit on their national thing.

Attached: Eagle_US_Flag_Small.jpg (500x250, 91K)

Don't believe that commie fuck

wish there wasnt such a huge focus on niggers and how they were being persecuted. He even tried to say the Detroit riots were about racial inequality and not niggers being niggers.

why annex it? the beaches and food was lousy

Let’s settle the memes Jow Forums, how did the US actually do in combat? I mean how was combat record of the Army/Marine Infantrymen and all the supporting troops sent with them? How did they stack up against the men who came before them and after? We know this is what memesters and trolls meme when they say “The US lost”

I really hope you guys aren’t Yuropeans

Attached: CA0745AB-D84C-4FF6-80D4-8A4DE1B41A14.jpg (960x756, 111K)

The whores were tit-less and bony, looked like boys w/cunts. No one can win a war under those conditions

"their rifles worked. ours didnt. the m16 was a piece of shit. you cant throw your bullets at the enemy."- melodramatic boomer

Vietnamese are collectivist Asians willing to die for their nation. Americans will not have the same mindset. They're individualists, it will all be hopeless attempts to save their own skin followed by organized military mopping them up.

Attached: 1520344888116.jpg (2100x1500, 956K)

>tfw most American soldiers were more attractive than the gook sluts

Attached: 26E1CABB-3C37-499B-B5B1-5522A1B151A7.jpg (202x249, 22K)

Post your countries you twinks. Or maybe you’re too scared to admit that at even at it’s lowest, US will always be superior theough and through.

>Being this insecure

Back to your trailer-park fellow patriot.

Attached: 1414502312122.jpg (1024x708, 211K)

I have a feeling that their version of Corporatist Anarchy has resulted in the biological devolution into several classes, including a Jewish ownership class that owns 95% of the capital, and a mentally stunted Republican-voting underclass that serves in the military instrument used to effect Jewish foreign policy (the strategy).

White Americas are just servile livestock or muscle.

Attached: 1510280774883.png (547x626, 18K)

Why did they only kill four students? Why not more?

>Syngman Rhee was trash.
He held his country together which is more than you can say of South Vietnamese leadership.

>As for stability, the amount of massacres, purges, and disappearances during the Rhee era made the North at the time look like a happy alternative. It wasn't clean or smart.
But it worked, unlike South Vietnam

>Park Chung-Hee was the one who saved SK
Agreed, but he was also an effective authoritarian jerk.

>But it worked, unlike South Vietnam

No it didn't you moron. Rhee provoked a war that saw the southern junta government almost totally displaced from the peninsula.

Any country we ever enter or invade generally is a clusterfuck.
>random ass muslim pirates: clusterfucks but we left early so it was ok
>Cuba: clusterfuck that we let become a clusterfuck
>Phillipines: proto-nam clusterfucj
>Russian revolution: from clusterfuck with love
>WWI: Europe is a cluster fuck but we didn’t really get hurt
>WWII: Europe (and Asia) is an even bigger cluster fuck but now we got hit, but we got mad scientist jews, rocket germans, and nukes
>Korean War: cold ass clusterfuck on both sides, fucking PTSDville
>Vietnam war: clusterfuck to model all clusterfucks off of
>couple side conflicts that went shockingly well
>Gulf War: not a clusterfuck but will foreshadow future clusterfucks
>Operation Enduring Freedom: not a clusterfuck in a military sense, but fucking waste of political capital
>War on Terror: a shitsandwich clusterfuck which doesn’t seem to have an ending
>War on Drugs: Prohibition 2.0, now with hispanics, violent gangs, and a wall. Shitsandwich

Probably some other shit I forgot but every war we get dragged into seems like the US is policing the world for morality’s sake and stepping in all the loo everyone leaves behind.

Attached: 5C778CA2-CF3E-4A6B-9517-52477C1726B3.jpg (465x700, 58K)

>accuse me of being insecure
>won’t post country
I live in a nice suburb house btw, but nice jab anyhow.

Attached: 110EA867-E019-4BD8-A612-2ACA79ED2ADA.jpg (577x599, 96K)

The best ARVN started out as Vietminh.
The just realized to truth of communism.

Post country.

Worse part of it? People get pissy when the US is a bystander, but when we do so much as drop off food for some folk the criticism comes flowing through the floodgates. It’s a win-win situation, and the US loses twice.

>ywn be a member of tiger force

Thats why we need to go back to complete isolation.
Stop giving foriegn aid for 10yrs while spending that same amount within our borders and see how much better the world would be.

US interventionism shaped the way the world is today.

There's no turning back,

‘course with that, it’s like an alcoholic dad. You try to help him, he hits you. You don’t do nothin, he begs for you to come back. Whether by her own choice or by others, the US does not exist in a vacuum nor is it seperate from the whole, and no matter how we slice it the shitcake festival is still there even if we close out eyes and go “nah nah i can’t hear you”.

We did try that. DeGaul threatened to join the Warsaw Pact if did anything to mess with their colonies.
We couldn't risk Germany being encircled, especially with Italy being a bit unreliable.

Why did they only killed four students? Why not more?

How much of the 20th century can be blamed on DeGaul being retarded?

The Merkel of his time

I appreciate that he tried to put his country above all, but if he did any more to fuck up the post-war order he'd have earned the Order of Lenin.

At least the man was an honest patriot. Look at Western Civilization now. We're almost bereft.

They were panic firing.

Gibs milkies mommie.

>tfw learning about Ho Chi Minh
>a naive young ameriboo who turns bitter and jaded from being betrayed by the west dozens of times
>all he ever wanted was to make the Vietnamese people be proud to be Vietnamese
>instead he got over 40 years of continuous war and untold millions dead

some people have hard lives...

>he begs for you to come back
Who the fuck wants you back? Arabs, viets or serbs you've bombed to shit? Fuck off with your fantasies, literally noone apart from west yuropoors wants you. USA makes the world only worse.

Communists must burn.
Imagine actually believing PBS, about anything.

>reality does not match ideological notions about history
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

shush child

>implying the Vietnamese only turned to communism as an act of desperation to gain at least some recognition and legitimacy from some of the world powers

damn some of that footage though - 14 yr old vc girls helping load belt fed ammo

thanks for the heads up

Jesus, the ARVN were tiny fuckers.

>its OK to murder officers who chose to fight for their country in Vietnam because your an oppressed black man and he was probably racist.
what did this documentary mean by this?

Attached: 1493671860427.gif (268x199, 450K)

what could be more honorable than to fight for your country

oh wait they were commy terrist

damn this is good shit

I was disappointed when they didn't dedicate a scene to Fortunate Son.

The Allies should have let Germany KEEP France.

At least Vichy France. They were collaborators and deserved it.

And the US should have let DeGaulle enjoy the wonderful world of the Warsaw Pact.

He'd probably end up dead in a year.

S K E L E T O R

Attached: EU_Projection.jpg (1333x1246, 522K)