SMLE No. 3 in 308?

I found an old No.3, long story, but it doesn't take .303. The usual markings have been filed down, except the stamp on the ring around the grip that connects to the trigger guard has a date stamp of 1964. I tried a .303 but it was kinda loose in the chamber. A .308 fits snuggly, like a round should. What is this sorcery?

Attached: IbJdkVY.jpg (333x500, 24K)

OP here, forgot to mention, the magazine is square, and not rounded.

Are you sure its a No3?
It may be an Ishapor, an Indian produced Enfield pattern rifle in 7.62Nato/.308.
Is the bore of your rifle still roughly 30 cal?
As there were many enfields that were converted to other calibers, like .410 shotgun for example.

That’s an ishapore 2a or 2a1 my dude

Can we get a pic of your rife from the side and of the receiver area taken from the right side as well as a pic of the rear right?

Sure sounds like it.

Converted more than likely, thus why the marks were ground.
OP needs to take it to a decent gun shop where they can throw an assortment of go/no go gauges in it.

OP here, I believe it is an ishapore. I was doing some research, and not only does the timestamp match production, but Ishapores have the same square mag. Somebody put a black laquer like finish on it. I used a chamber guage, it's a .308. The bore is rifled, it's a .30 Cal bore. It's in beautiful shape. I can tell the markings have been scratched off because they're simply not there. Someone also painted the front sight post red. Pic related.

Attached: IMG_20180625_224845.jpg (1944x2592, 1.93M)

OP.

Attached: IMG_20180625_224923.jpg (1944x2592, 2.48M)

Sights.

Attached: IMG_20180625_224942.jpg (1944x2592, 2.51M)

OP again, upon closer inspection, there are markings, but they're very hard to see under the laquer. Its for sure an Ishapore.

>just found an old SMLE

I fucking wish I lived in the US

Attached: 1529071531621.png (418x359, 13K)

Nice Enfield, goy. Get a better rifle.

What an absolutely monstrous rifle. Leave it to the poos to take a beautiful Enfield and turn it into this monstrosity.

Yep thats an Ishapor, great find.
You can get 10 round 7.62x51 stripper clips on Ebay, and the Ishapor magazine should hold 12 rounds.
You have the earlier sights and they are actually sights calibrated for .303.

Well, I already have a No. 4, and a Springfield, but I think I'll hold on to this, due to the collectability of such a rifle. I agree, chambering an Enfield in anything other than .303 is wrong, but I'm not selling it, or destroying it. Who knows? It might be a good shooter.

>hasgunz
>goy
Go choke on a cock ye wannabe rhine nigger.

Literally what country do you live in where an SMLE isn't easily available?

Considering Ishapores were made for 308 it's hardly a "sin" for it not being in 303.

The enfield action will not safely handle surplus ammo due to crap mfg standards, average IQ in India is 82.... Take that rifle and trade it for an AR

>Enfield will not handle surplus ammo
Im going to need a source for this

I have never heard of any Enfield failing to include Ishapors. I know Indian production ammo is shit QC after the British stopped oversight of production, but all their Ishapor rifes had British oversight during production.

Lol I already have an AR man. I've tested some rounds in my backyard, some modern Remington, and some surplus NATO 7.62, and needless to say, it runs just fine. It's not a nail driver, but it's acurate enough. Trigger feels just like my No. 4.